Thread: Gen I & Gen II: Are Tyranitar & Dragonite legendary?
View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2012 (05:20 AM). Edited December 24th, 2012 by Kingdom of Tea.
What you lookin' at?
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
Well, Tyranitar's first ability is Sand Stream. It's not used much in the games because the player might abuse it to his/her favor.

Back in GSC times, I think Tyranitar was meant to be a "surprise" to the player, which is why no trainer used it. I only had a list of names of the 100 new Pokémon, no pictures. So I desperately wanted to see what Tyranitar looked like. When my Pupitar finally evolved, I wasn't disappointed! :D I couldn't use it in story mode, but damn it was powerful. I had two of them. :D The only problem with it was that I wanted both Houndoom and Tyranitar in my team, which would give me two weaknesses to Water and Fighting. When I wanted a more balanced team, I replaced either, but my "fun" team always had both.

Only three people (Blue, Grimsley, Roark) use it in the games, and in only one case (Roark) the ability doesn't hurt their team.

TBH I think someone powerful should use Tyranitar. It's the hardest Pokémon to raise in GSC (I hate Pupitar), and it's among the rarest as well (only found in one place, which happens to be right before the end of the game). Tyranitar needs more love.

Immunity is not necessary.
In terms of pre Elite Four no one uses them, it's not until afterwards anyone decides to use Tyranitar, I believe Roxanne runs one aswell.
Blue uses it when you rematch him.
Grimsley when you rematch him.
Roark when you rematch him.

I agree with you that Tyranitar is a pain to raise and the fact his pre evolutions are quite rare to find in most games (If they appear at all in the wild) make it a rarer pokemon to dragonite.

And as for the case of Volcarona why does a Psuedo-legendary have to have 3 evolutions? In my whole time playing Platinum I never saw the Garchomp line as legendary as it was easy to get and easy to train, same with Metagross and Salamence in pokemon R/S/E.

The only pokemon in the list of Psuedo-Legends I could agree upon is Hydeigon, mearly because of the level it's final evolution evolves at. Also a Psuedo-legendary may have a 600 BST, but that was not the original point I was trying to make.

Why do Tyranitar & Dragonite appear after the legendary 3, but no other generations do this.