Thread: Project Steam
View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:29 AM
papayaperson
Intermediate Hackker

Nature: Relaxed
Introduction
Hello! I'm Anthony, and I need help creating a ROM hack!
I've been wanting to for years, and for 3 years I've attempted learning, and even some mild hacking. I have decent all-around skills, but this has proven to be too much work for one person. My goal here is to create a hack that follows the classic unspoken rules of a Pokemon game, including the pattern for starter designs, eight gyms, post-game, HM moves, etc. I'm hoping that I get some responses and get moving on this game ;D

The Project

Currently, we are working on what I call Project Steam. The hack will actually be divided into two separate versions, Shining Waters and Hazing Flames (thus, steam), and will be an entirely different game (hopefully) by the time it is done. It takes place in the Charpa Region, which is divided into several small sections. It is a classic style Pokemon game, meaning the player still has to fill the Pokedex, go through 8 gyms, battle the Elite 4, etc.
However, there will be new features that will add to the experience. For example, we're adding gym leader challenges. These small quests are required to get access to a gym, and each gym leader has their own special quest that challengers have to complete. That doesn't mean the lack of traditional gym puzzles, of course.
One of the main features of this hack will be the Fakemon. We're investing a lot of time in the designs to make sure that they look good. However, some of them are not final, so their design could still change. It depends on your feedback!
The Region itself is not based off of any specific area. I'm just designing a map as I go along, but the stories of certain Pokemon and the goal of Team Next ('Evil' Team) will be centered around Norse Mythology.

Current Progress
We have completed a good amount of Fakemon (back-)sprites, concept art, several early-game maps, almost no progress with scripts (due to the lack of scripters who are staying on the team), and a very well-along story and plot. Also, we're currently working on character designs/important people in the game. Here are a few examples of our work:

Media
Spoiler:

Current Team Members
PapayaPerson - Storyline, "Director", Fakemon Ideas/Design
Reshilegend - "Co-Director", Mapping, Tile Inserting, Fakemon designing and spriting

Help Wanted

- experienced Scripters (Experienced scripters are preferred)
- experienced Spriters (especially for Trainers and OWs!)
- Music Editors/Composers
- Custom Tile Designer (optional)
- Mappers (optional)

Application
Preferred Name:
Skill(s):
Proof of Work:
Contact Information:
Past Work (if applicable):
Time Zone (In terms of UTC):

If you're interested in joining, but you're not sure if you should.. Just apply! Every dedicated person is welcome. We will definitely finish this hack, and to reach this goal, we need every possible help. Thanks for reading!

~ The Project Steam team

Last edited by papayaperson; April 30th, 2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Current Progress, Collage