View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2013 (12:12 PM).

I’m pretty new to debate but I now finally had the courage to try and say what I can because I know that PC is one of the friendliest communities around I have ever seen (right? :D). This is a complicated subject and I tried my best to express my opinion about this topic (Gosh this took so long for me to write):

I think whatever in math was right has been discovered and whatever is incorrect in math has been invented because our world functions through those concepts that work. We count and the theory of counting is right in its own sense. Our most common style of counting, which is the foundation of maths everywhere (1,2,3,4), has been invented. There are other styles of counting such as by Base 13, when numbers are counted as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, and C. It's like counting with 13 fingers instead of 10. And we may switch the numbers up into characters or random symbols and they can still represent a correct counting system. Counting is true, that's a known fact. If that wasn't true math, there would be a whole set of assumptions because there is nothing for them to stand on and develop into ideas that represent truth. (It would be so confusing without any numbers because we need them to explain lots of other phenomena)

If counting is true, shouldn't the mathematical operations be true (e.g. addition/multiplication)?
We can immediately apply it into our lives, but we can shift the symbols anyhow we want it to be. x can be c, and + may be switched around with -. But it is still true if the concept underlying the symbols are true.

We can attempt to explain the other theories of math by the use of the established theories proven to be facts (e.g. counting and arithmetic operations (+,-,x). Physics is another case. Just because the math is right doesn't make it true. Physics is the science of observation backed up by the absolute truth of mathematics. We try to explain physics phenomena rationally by math. The phenomena are right, but how did they happen? That is the question we want to answer by observation followed by math. But just because the thought is rational and the math is right doesn't make it true. We might have observed and applied math at the wrong place.

For ex.: Gravity is true. It is a known fact. Humanity saw things falling to the ground and attempted to explain it. But gravity is a really complicated and the theories and hypothesis made to explain it may be either true or false due to wrong scope (wrong scope = focusing on assumptions/ wrong area // And assuming that the math concepts behind it is perfect), but it doesn't change the fact that gravity is true and a fact of life.

I heard someone mentioned a cube and square. We can find the area and volume of a cube/square by various formulas but the style of those may be different. But it works, so shouldn’t it be true because volume and areas exist in every kind of 2-D and 3-D shapes imaginable?

Humanity has discovered the right areas of mathematics and invented the false theories of mathematics because our world cannot function through wrong theories about math. Math is the order of life. Our world functions cannot exist without math.