• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 64 Discussion Thread

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Nintendo 64 Discussion Thread
    PC's Nintendo 64 Discussion Thread

I decided to make a new Nintendo 64 Discussion Thread, as an attempt to appreciate the memories that we had from playing this console, or at least, hearing all about it! So then, why don't we just sit back, and see what we like or don't like about this console, and it's games! And yes, I'm making it so that this thread can become bumpable at anytime. So, what kinds of things would you like to say about the N64?

Console: Nintendo 64.
    Company From: Nintendo.
    Dates released: Japan: June 23rd 1996, US: September 29th 1996, Europe: March 1st 1997.
    Software format: Cartridges.
    Units Sold: 32.93 million Worldwide.
    Graphics: 64-bit
    Controllers: The Nintendo 64 Controller.
    Best-selling game: Super Mario 64, followed up with Mario Kart 64
    Predecessor: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    Successor: GameCube​

What were the games that you remember playing? You can share all of your favourite, and least favourite games to play here! You can provide a list, provide images, or some other forums of explanation. For example, some of my favorite games that I've played:

Super Mario 64

I've played Super Mario 64 with my step-sis all the time. I used to love playing the sub-levels; as in, the levels that you can play while you're in the castle basement! Except for that creepy one with all the Boos; used to haaate going to the library, and that damn piano who wants to bite you, ugh. Actually, I used to struggle a lot with this game, since I kept falling off, and some levels were like, 'where do you go?' Ultimately, it took me a couple of tries to beat Bowser at the end, because I, er, kept falling off, but, it's a wonderful experience, beating it at last! Sooo much satisfaction!

Donkey Kong 64

It has one of the BEST video game openings of all time, imo. That rap is so amazing, aaah, I had an eargasum when it played on Super Smash Bros. Melee! This game was a lot of fun, since you can play as a variety of characters! Loved playing as Diddy and Tiny Kong! Though again, it was one of those games that took me a long while to beat, since I didn't know where to go and stuff, but, once I got older, it became really easy. X3 Gah, I hate those hornets though. I always did in the DK series.

Kirby 64

I looove this game, but trying the other Kirby games, I was kinda sad on how they didn't really utilize Kirby's abilities properly. But it was still damn fun, and it has such of an amazing boss music! I used to get stuck on that Robot Boss and that Final Boss, though. They were tough, but, eventually we got em'! I used to love using the combined Rock + Cutter ability, because of those rock animaaaals, and the Fire + Cutter ability. Hooray for Flame Swords!

Starfox 64

This game is REALLY addicting. I used to play this over, and over to try and get all of the metals in all of the planets, to try and beat my hi-scores in them! I even remember my favourite planets that I go to: Cornelia, Fortuna, X-Zone, Aquas, Zoness, MacBeth, Area 9, and Venom (return of Star Wolf). Area 9 is always tough, but satisfying because of EXPLOSIONS! MacBeth is also really amazing, because the landmaster was really destructive, and I always loooove blowing up that train, hehe. 50 POINTS!

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

Ah, and of course, who doesn't love playing this game? I love the storyline, love the bosses, and I love the overall gore. Well, I'm a sucker for small gore, but, in Zelda, it seemed to fit really well! Although I really haaate fighting those Like-Likes and finding out from Navi that there is a lnearby w/ those shadows, ugh. But I relished the challenge! My favourite dungeons to play were the Shadow temple, the Spirit Temple, and the Fire Temple, eee.

How about music Tracks? What sorts of music tracks did you love to listen to while playing the games? You're also free to list your favourites here! For example, mine would be:

Well, these are all just examples on what you can talk about here; you can honestly talk about anything that's Nintendo 64 related here! All of your experiences, and so on. Feel free to discuss any and all thoughts!

Related pictures

Last edited:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Oh wow, I love this thread already! ^^

I still play my N64 regularly, and recently bought a bundle that included Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Banjo Kazooie for really cheap so YAY :)

As for games, some of my favourites included:

Super Mario 64,
    Donkey Kong 64,
    Banjo Tooie
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards,
    Pokemon Puzzle League,
    and I just know I'll love both of the Zelda games once I properly get to play them, so they're going on this list pre-emptively :P

As for songs, I thought Mario 64 had an amazing soundtrack. I'm not really sure about others. Banjo Tooie's songs are pretty cool too :D

Years
  • Ah, I have the Pikachu N64... its cheeks light up when you turn the system on, so that's pretty awesome. I haven't played it in quite some time, but out of all the games Mario Kart 64 is probably my most played. The multiplayer in that game is so great, just exploring the race tracks and anything, finding glitches... and finding Peach's Castle in Royal Raceway... that's one of my favourite gaming moments. I also own Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Pokemon Stadium, but I never really played those all that much.

Years
  • N64... from highs of to highs such as Mario 64, OoT, and Pokemon Snap, all the way to the lowest of lows i.e. Superman 64... Safe to say it will be a classic in the near future.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Oooh, a Nintendo 64 discussion thread! <3

I can't say I've play that old console much these days but I have great memories of it! :3

My favourite games would have to be Super Smash Bros., Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart and Pokemon Stadium. :D
    I mostly watched my older brothers play OoT and Banjo-Kazooie, but we had great fun doing it! <3

I could play Pokemon Stadium non-stop, whether it was the minigames or the actual battles. That game really helped get me into Pokemon. :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Love N64. Used to play games on it every day when I was younger. xD I still have the console in my basement, but it doesn't properly work, though, because unfortunately, water got inside of it somehow and screwed things up. Whenever I connect it to the TV now, all I hear is the sound; video doesn't show up at all. Might try to get fixed someday. One of my most favorite games is Super Mario 64. Another would be Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
    Battle tank
    SSB
    Pokemon Stadium
    Star fox 64
    DK 64
    Mario Party 1,2&3
    Yoshi Island
    Super Mario 64
    Rampage
    Pokemon Snap
    Hey! You Pikachu
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mario Kart

Yeah, I had a childhood.

Years
  • Loved the N64. Selling the console for the GameCube is, and always will be, one of the biggest gaming regrets I have. That's mainly because I miss Ocarina of Time, and even though it has come out for the 3DS, it's not the same nostalgic feel \: Other games I miss playing are Donkey Kong 64 and Pokemon Stadium, the latter of which my cousin and I always spent playing the mini-games! Thankfully though, the same cousin actually has the console along with Ocarina of Time and Mario Party 1, 2 and 3 :P

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Donkey Kong 64 will always hold a special place in my heart. It was one of the first games I actually ever owned, and I'm glad to see that someone else shares my love for the rap at the beginning! My brother and I actually had to take a hiatus from the game for a few years because before we had access to the Internet (no I'm not that old, we were just too young at the time to access it), we didn't know you had to beat the arcade cabinets to access the last boss level.

To sum up, Rare made the absolute best games: Donkey Kong 64, the Banjo Kazooie's, Concord's Bad Fur Day, and Goldeneye. Too bad Microsoft now owns Rare, it would be awesome to see Banjo or Concord duking it out in the new Super Smash Bros.....

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • My N64 is still stashed somewhere. It survived my change of apartments together with pretty much everything I had for it.

I've been thinking about hooking it up to my TV again and collecting some missing games (I don't own the Zeldas and the Rare platformers, and MK64) to play everything again. To this day, the N64 is not flawlessly emulated, so being able to play the games on actual hardware is a big advantage.

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    I never owned an N64, but whenever I went to my cousins, I always played Pokemon Stadium! Loved the minigames, and even the free battle. :)

Smash Brothers was another classic, purchased it for my Wii as well. Fox and Link were so annoying. Gimme Yoshi. XD

Mario Kart 64, I was hooked when playing both Kalimari Desert and Rainbow Road, ahh~

And... everyone loves Mario Party, right? Especially this:

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • :P one of my earliest gaming memories was playing the N64, mario party 64 with the whole family :) if zelda was on it was my dad and older brother playing it. I have always been interested I'm Zelda since I've seen it but to say I have a N64 but lile five games, Mario party is one of them. Kirby the crystal shards, and perfect darkness is what I can remember.

^i am so jelly of that Zelda style console.

My favorite soundtracks are within Zelda. Song of storms <3 I have thr ocarina songs on my phone amd I frequently whistle SoS. <3

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    This was the first console I ever owned, so I have a ton of nastolgia attatched to it. The first thing I got for it was pokemon stadium, followed by mario 64. I don't think I owned a ton of games for the system, but I did rent a few others, mario party 3 and smash bros being the ones that come to mind right away. I also played with pokemon snap that was playable at my local blockbuster. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. Once I got a gamecube, the n64 was given away without my concent :/. I have tried a few n64 games i never got a chance to own through virtual console recently however. Thanks to that I got a a chance to play through mario kart 64. I also played kirby 64 through the dream collection. There's a retro game shop not too far from where I live as well, so one of these days I could potentially get another n64.
    Edit: I rented pokemon puzzle leauge as well. I was reminded of that because of someone elses post mentioning it XD.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • We are truly in the realm of my childhood here. After I went to visit my cousin for a week and played Mario Kart 64, my life was forever changed. I had to get this magical new system. Christmas 1999, I was given my very first personal console, and that was my red N64...appropriately named Cherry. I had a naming problem. And along with it, my beloved Mario Kart 64 and Rugrat's Scavenger Hunt. ...lol

Anyway, this is the system that really shaped me. I remember going to the video store and renting games, and that would be how I determined if I wanted them for myself, unless it was Pokemon. I always knew I'd want whatever Pokemon game I could get. Unfortunately, my N64 library of games isn't as large as I'd like it to be, but there's always time to work on it, and I will when desirable games show their faces in Replays.

Kirby 64 was the first game I beat by myself. Ocarina of Time's world and temples always mystified me, and I'd think about what goes on there when Link isn't there, or before Ganon takes over. I will always suck at Mario 64, but that won't stop me from replaying the first level 1200320 times. I still hate my friend for always purposely killing off pink Yoshi in Yoshi's Story. Pokemon Stadium 2 was my generation II and taught me how to battle.

N64 is good, man. I have no complaints.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Excuse the bump, but, this thread -is- bumpable anytime, hehe. just wanted to ask,

Compared to the other nintendo consoles, how did you like the N64?

What I mean is, would you choose the N64 as a catalist to have fun, or would you rather have future consoles like the Wii, SNES, etc.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Compared to the other nintendo consoles, how did you like the N64?

I had only played the SNES before my N64 and since the N64 was actually mine and at my house, unlike the SNES at my grandmother's house, it was always accessible. I never had to wait until I went over to my grandmother's house to play the N64 like I did with the N64, so I guess in that regard, it was better, haha. I also played more games for N64 so I'd say my experience with it was better than with the SNES.

Honestly though, I got my GameCube in like...release year, so the N64 and GameCube days mush together for me. They both really shaped me and I put them both on a high pedestal. They're both really my best experiences in home console gaming, so yeah...that's how the N64 ranks for me. lol I do love the Wii though, but I can't say I've clocked as many hours into it as I did my N64 and GCN. And I don't have a Wii U...yet. I also haven't played my NES.

If we're including handhelds consoles though, I'd honestly say the 3DS has it beat for me. The 3DS has been my favorite Nintendo console. That's not saying anything against other Nintendo consoles though, because I've loved everything Nintendo's put out (not counting the Virtual Boy, of course).

This was a terrible post WOW sorry. Like, it made no sense whatsoever.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2015
    Goldeneye 007 (you had to have played it at the time and in multiplayer to understand the experience. It was something to behold)
    Perfect Dark (Built up more than Goldeneye, but similar. But it was diminished social experience compared to Goldeneye)
    The Zelda games (Solid as solid can get for games)
    The THq/AKI WCW & WWF games. (Fun)
    etc.

Heir

/EYES SUSPICIOUSLY
    Years
  • N64 was a great console! I love the Zelda games, and Paper Mario. I played Kirby 64 as a kid and have really good memories of it. I recently played Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day and enjoyed both of them a lot!

Years
  • N64 was a great console! I love the Zelda games, and Paper Mario. I played Kirby 64 as a kid and have really good memories of it. I recently played Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day and enjoyed both of them a lot!

Paper Mario is one of the sub-series of the Mario franchise that I wish I got into earlier :c Even to this day, I've barely touched one of those games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Mind if I ask how your N64 libraries are looking, guys? Does anyone still actively buy N64 cartridges, or do you consider your N64 library complete? Is there anything you missed that you'd like to have?

This is my N64 library:
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (grey cart)
    Mario Kart 64
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Super Mario 64
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Pokemon Stadium
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Pokemon Snap
    Rugrats Scavenger Hunt
    Mario Party 2
    Jet Force Gemini
    Yoshi's Story

Games I don't own that I would like:
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Goldeneye 007
    Ocarina of Time (gold cart)
    Majora's Mask (idk if I'd play it cause I'm TERRIBLE at MM)
    Banjo-Tooie
    Star Fox 64
    Paper Mario
    Donkey Kong 64

I think that's about it for N64 games I'd like to have.

Back