• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is homosexuality unnatural?

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
Years
  • Good lord the hypocrisy is so bad I might choke. "You refuse to admit you are quite probably wrong". Because you decided so? Okay. Sure!

"I, at least, started my research with an open mind to find out where the truth led me." I have teh feeling you started the research with a closed mind. Your initial question was not "so what's up with homosexuality? any ideas?" but rather "Homosexuality is bad. Any evidence I can use it to reinforce my beliefs?".

Anyway, I must assume that lesbians feed each other poop and drive their partners to suicide? Or is that only applicable to men who do anal, which is apparently the root of all evil in the world? And what if you are facing two asexual gays? I honestly don't know what is so wrong with two people loving each other to decide that it's fundamental to society that we go out there and ban them from loving each other. Do you hate love? Do you hate heterosexuals who decide not to have babies? Would you force every couple to have a baby or else?

Considering I've been researching subjects such as this for the last few years, I'd say I'm a bit farther ahead than the rest of you, which in turn affords me my conclusion. All I've seen so far are opinions, so I thought I'd be kind and post actual evidence. Too bad all of you who have responded so far have done so with the type of hatred I've also seen in Nazis and Trump supporters. If you love love so much, try showing some. But then, you'll probably get bullied like I have by the rest of you.

Years
  • Oh my, somebody's sensitive. Did you forget that debates get heated at times, or are you genuinely attacking me? My vote's on the latter, mostly because it's all too common when one has an unpopular view. So...

First, check the links in my first post here. There are three of them. If you don't know where I'm getting my data, that should have been the first thing you did, and the second should have been doing your own research into those sources and their references. Second, Galileo was considered arrogant by the scientific community of his time, and yet later it was proven that he was right, so I don't think I care if you consider me arrogant. Third, you claim that homosexuality has less to do with selfishness and more to do with love, and yet the LGBT community has done nothing but bully everyone else into accepting their way or else (for example, a certain bakery that refused to bake a cake for a lesbian pair).

The only malicious one here is you, because you're closed-minded enough to claim I'm a bigot when you haven't done a lick of research on the subject in your entire life. If you had, then your only reason for attacking me in such a manner would be to silence me for speaking a truth you're terrified of: the fact that you advocate evil. Be thankful I give you more credit than that, at least...for now.

I don't think any of the links you chose are by any stretch authoritative. The first just settles on a cause-effect relationship between homosexuality and mental health without any mention of an alternative explanation (ex. social stigma) as well as stereotypes homosexuality as being inextricably linked with lack of commitment and promiscuity without any evidence to back it up. The second also provides no source or context for the numbers that are mentioned. A lot of them are quite honestly unbelievable. The third also tries to create a cause-effect relationship between homosexuality and health in general.

Being gay doesn't make you promiscuous or prevents you from using a condom or from having healthy relationships. There's just no logical connection there. Just because there was an underground subculture about being gay ten, twenty years back doesn't mean that all gay people sign up for that on the virtue of being gay.

You can disapprove of "the gay lifestyle" all you want, but stereotyping and spreading falsehoods isn't doing anyone any favours. Also, posting links without any critical thinking about their contents is a setting a really low bar for what counts as evidence, so I think it's unreasonable that you should be surprised at how people react to your evidence.

And before you cry victim because of how you perceive you're being treated, please consider the content and reason behind what I have to say. Anybody has the ability to read between lines, but the words speak for themselves.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Oh my, somebody's sensitive. Did you forget that debates get heated at times, or are you genuinely attacking me? My vote's on the latter, mostly because it's all too common when one has an unpopular view. So...

First, check the links in my first post here. There are three of them. If you don't know where I'm getting my data, that should have been the first thing you did, and the second should have been doing your own research into those sources and their references. Second, Galileo was considered arrogant by the scientific community of his time, and yet later it was proven that he was right, so I don't think I care if you consider me arrogant. Third, you claim that homosexuality has less to do with selfishness and more to do with love, and yet the LGBT community has done nothing but bully everyone else into accepting their way or else (for example, a certain bakery that refused to bake a cake for a lesbian pair).

The only malicious one here is you, because you're closed-minded enough to claim I'm a bigot when you haven't done a lick of research on the subject in your entire life. If you had, then your only reason for attacking me in such a manner would be to silence me for speaking a truth you're terrified of: the fact that you advocate evil. Be thankful I give you more credit than that, at least...for now.

You can stop the "oh well, here we go, I'm getting attacked in a debate, unpopular view, gurgle gurgle" spiel now if you like. Withstand some criticism if you want to bring easily criticised views to light.

So here's the thing: I do not care about your research. You've convinced yourself that your voice carries more weight because you've read something? You collected some slanted body of text from the internet that supports intolerance. This is 2016; you can find saturated information like that very easily, especially since organisations that spout bigotry are usually financially muscular in America.

I care about what you say here and how you motivate it. And oh yeah, you are just like Galileo. Likening yourself to a Renaissance genius is bold, but I totally see the resemblance now.

The LGBT community (and I hesitate to generalise like this, since many small groups form part of it) fights against intolerance. You feel bullied by this? Once again, how revealing!

It is disappointing that you flap so easily, saying I am trying to silence you, that I advocate evil, that I am closed minded. Disappointing, but the familiar flavour of minimal self-awareness is there.

Anyway, in keeping this thread on an enlightening tone, I think it's worth remembering the different ways people use the world unnatural. Even on other subjects. It may shed some light for common understanding.

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • You've presented evidence of what's wrong or right? Who are you, God's right hand? You're assuming and consuming. You have said nothing to back up your words, I could link you to a million of links saying otherwise. If we wanted the opinion of a website we'd look into it ourselves. You come here bragging about knowing a lot and yet you provide nothing but stupid references which only makes you look like a troll.

My opinion is simply the truth: homosexuality is evil, and those who condone it are committing an equally evil act, in the same way I'd call out anyone who condoned murder or rape. Any claim that homosexuality is in any way "safe," "natural," "just another lifestyle," etc. is obviously overlooking all the science and evidence in the world.

By the way, it's funny that you refer to me as "God's right hand." That would be Jesus Christ, not me, and getting into a debate as to whether Christianity is or is not correct will end in your loss.

I don't think any of the links you chose are by any stretch authoritative. The first just settles on a cause-effect relationship between homosexuality and mental health without any mention of an alternative explanation (ex. social stigma) as well as stereotypes homosexuality as being inextricably linked with lack of commitment and promiscuity without any evidence to back it up. The second also provides no source or context for the numbers that are mentioned. A lot of them are quite honestly unbelievable. The third also tries to create a cause-effect relationship between homosexuality and health in general.

Being gay doesn't make you promiscuous or prevents you from using a condom or from having healthy relationships. There's just no logical connection there. Just because there was an underground subculture about being gay ten, twenty years back doesn't mean that all gay people sign up for that on the virtue of being gay.

You can disapprove of "the gay lifestyle" all you want, but stereotyping and spreading falsehoods isn't doing anyone any favours. Also, posting links without any critical thinking about their contents is a setting a really low bar for what counts as evidence, so I think it's unreasonable that you should be surprised at how people react to your evidence.

And before you cry victim because of how you perceive you're being treated, please consider the content and reason behind what I have to say. Anybody has the ability to read between lines, but the words speak for themselves.

Here are more then, all of which are peer-reviewed. For the record, however, I wasn't going to "cry victim" in your case. Your post was polite and well-read, which is more than what I can say for pretty much the rest of the thread.

If there is a social stigma about something, perhaps that should be researched. Why do we have a social stigma about child marriage, for example, even though it's legal with parental consent? Why do we have a social stigma about religious indoctrination? Why do we have a social stigma about slavery? Why do we have a social stigma about genocide? I'm sure you'd all consider all of these things evil, and therefore be supportive of the social stigma against them all, but why?

What do you base your morality on, exactly?

Years
  • If homosexuality wasn't natural, then is simply wouldn't exist. Is it so hard to believe that one man could be romantically or sexually attracted to another man? Or for a woman to another woman? I mean, why is attraction to one gender only allowed by the opposite?

The simple fact is that it's not. Anyone can love whoever they desire, and it doesn't matter whether they are male or female. Nor does it mean their attraction is driven solely by lust. Love, regardless of who it's aimed at, is natural in all forms. Just as ignorance is natural as well.

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • You can stop the "oh well, here we go, I'm getting attacked in a debate, unpopular view, gurgle gurgle" spiel now if you like. Withstand some criticism if you want to bring easily criticised views to light.

So here's the thing: I do not care about your research. You've convinced yourself that your voice carries more weight because you've read something? You collected some slanted body of text from the internet that supports intolerance. This is 2016; you can find saturated information like that very easily, especially since organisations that spout bigotry are usually financially muscular in America.

I care about what you say here and how you motivate it. And oh yeah, you are just like Galileo. Likening yourself to a Renaissance genius is bold, but I totally see the resemblance now.

The LGBT community (and I hesitate to generalise like this, since many small groups form part of it) fights against intolerance. You feel bullied by this? Once again, how revealing!

It is disappointing that you flap so easily, saying I am trying to silence you, that I advocate evil, that I am closed minded. Disappointing, but the familiar flavour of minimal self-awareness is there.

Anyway, in keeping this thread on an enlightening tone, I think it's worth remembering the different ways people use the world unnatural. Even on other subjects. It may shed some light for common understanding.

That's so cute! Here, let me ask you something. What's two plus two? I have a condition, though: you're not allowed to say "four." It's too religious for me. You also aren't allowed to answer with anything that represents "four," such as a mixed number, decimal, or what "four" is spoken or written as in any other language. You're not allowed to raise your fingers or toes, and you're not allowed to use any form of sign language or gesture to give the answer "four."

Do you see what I did there? It's the same thing you're doing by attacking me. That's how closed-minded you are, and that's why you need to read what I've been posting. There are things that are not tolerated for a reason, and you should be very, very careful about what you choose to tolerate. Or should we assume that you advocate murder, rape, genocide, school shootings, suicide bombings, and more just because you don't like to hear the truth?

I reached my conclusion--that homosexuality is wrong and unnatural--by seeing where the research took me. You have my answer, and you can choose whether to accept it or not. However, it's impossible for me to take you seriously when you sound so much like Hitler.

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • If homosexuality wasn't natural, then is simply wouldn't exist. Is it so hard to believe that one man could be romantically or sexually attracted to another man? Or for a woman to another woman? I mean, why is attraction to one gender only allowed by the opposite?

The simple fact is that it's not. Anyone can love whoever they desire, and it doesn't matter whether they are male or female. Nor does it mean their attraction is driven solely by lust. Love, regardless of who it's aimed at, is natural in all forms. Just as ignorance is natural as well.

Then, by your definition, sin and death are also natural, and because they're natural, they should be accepted/encouraged, right? The truth is pretty far away from that, actually. Sin is unnatural, but even so it entered creation thanks to Adam and Eve, and death is a symptom of that.

It's funny that you guys reject my first set of links, but the peer-reviewed ones say all the same things. It seems more and more to me that you'd rather attack the truth than see where it leads. More and more, you prove Romans 1 correct.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Considering I've been researching subjects such as this for the last few years, I'd say I'm a bit farther ahead than the rest of you, which in turn affords me my conclusion. All I've seen so far are opinions, so I thought I'd be kind and post actual evidence. Too bad all of you who have responded so far have done so with the type of hatred I've also seen in Nazis and Trump supporters. If you love love so much, try showing some. But then, you'll probably get bullied like I have by the rest of you.

Godwin alert! Godwin alert!

But anyway, can we see those peer-reviewed scientific articles you read?

Here are more then, all of which are peer-reviewed. For the record, however, I wasn't going to "cry victim" in your case. Your post was polite and well-read, which is more than what I can say for pretty much the rest of the thread.

Journal of Human Sexuality, a peer-reviewed scholarly publication of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Oh, an association that considers homosexuality as a sickness that requires therapy. I guess none of their research will be tainited by the pre-conceived assumptions that give its own name to the associahahahahaha. (Funnily enough, according to the James Madison directory of Peer Reviewed Journals, there are some publications with a similar name- but this particular one is not a PRJ. Good try though!)
    This article first appeared in Christian Research Journal, volume 29, number 06 (2006). Oh, so a religious paper pretending to be a scientific journal. I guess none of their investigations will be tainted by their pre-assumed religious beliehahahaha. Also, not a PRJ.
    The third one references a paper that has been taken down from the Family Research Counil (not PRJ), which describes itself as "Pro-life and pro-marriage" and one that doesn't exist from a website called "marriageresourcesforclergy.com". Boy, it's like you go with your closed mind to look in places full of people who have the same pre-conceived ideas as you do. How did you describe it?

...just a bunch of very misguided people getting together to reaffirm their misguidedness...

Anyway, so what does all of this religious wannabe-scientist circlejerking boil down to?

My opinion is simply the truth: homosexuality is evil, and those who condone it are committing an equally evil act, in the same way I'd call out anyone who condoned murder or rape. Any claim that homosexuality is in any way "safe," "natural," "just another lifestyle," etc. is obviously overlooking all the science and evidence in the world.

By the way, it's funny that you refer to me as "God's right hand." That would be Jesus Christ, not me, and getting into a debate as to whether Christianity is or is not correct will end in your loss.

Oh yes. Religion. Of course. well, sorry to break it down to you, but you are entitled to your own opinions... not your own facts. Please do show some (real) peer-reviewed journals about this study. Ones written by scientists, not by some random dude who starts from a preconceived idea and then tries to make reality fit into it.

But who am I kidding, when that is the whole definition of religion. If you make such an effort to convince yourself that your favoured religion is "the true one", unlike the other 2834 versions and alternatives, then sure! But remember one thing: if you try to look at facts knowing what to think about them before even starting, then you'll only see what you want to see. But that's not science. That's ignorance. It's okay to be ignorant. But don't come and tell people they are "wrong" just because they don't happen to base all their knowledge about homosexuals on the idea that "homosexuality is evil".

Incidentally, you are more akin to a Trump voter than anybody else. Though you probably vote for Cruz, which is 0.000000001% better.

The golden rule: don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you. It's pretty simple and doesn't require you to be terrified of an imaginary being in the sky threatening you with eternal suffering in order to be nice to others.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • You are dictating what is stupid, and what things shouldn't happen, you're not leaving many options here. To that question I'd respond with another question, which is: Why would you ask that? I can think of many reasons why Nathan asked the question. It's just a question my friend, no need to get deffensive here.

Besides, you're going off-topic here; You're questioning the intelectual grade of the question, rather than answering.

The thing is, I'm not saying he's not allowed to ask the question. I'm saying the question is stupid AND that it doesn't warrant a debate.

There's a difference between asking a question and getting and answer as compared to debating something.

Definition of Debate:
    argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.

A debate implies that there's an argument. What I'm saying is, there is no argument. Or at least, there shouldn't be. You should have a debate about illegal immigration cause there's two legitimate sides to it. Or you could have a debate about how to run an country, cause there are many plausible points of view there. Asking "Is homosexuality unnatural?" Doesn't warrant a debate, but instead just a response of "Yes, it is." the first response in this thread answered it in a way that is irrefutable (which is why no one has said the first response is wrong, because it isn't.)

For example, you SHOULDN'T have to debate whether or not shooting yourself in the head will kill you. That's not something that is lines for a debate, it's a question; ie: "Will you die if you shoot yourself in the head?" - you can answer it "More than likely, yeah." In this context, he asked if homosexuality is unnatural, and that is answered in a basic way (see: first response). And that's it. There. No debate. A question and an answer.

Of course it's unnatural. Have you ever heard of two men creating a baby through nothing more than biology? How about two women? Just because a pattern exists in nature doesn't mean that's how things are supposed to be. Murder also exists in nature, and yet we as a species seem to universally be against that.

Why do people need to have kids to be in love? You can be in love with someone without having to have kids with them. If someone feels a natural urge to love someone, that's natural. People fall in love even though they may be sterile, should that matter?

Also, we're not arguing whether you're for it or against it, we're arguing that it's natural. Murder IS natural. But we aren't for it. We ARE for homosexuality, and it IS natural. Both murder and homosexuality are natural. The question isn't whether you're for it or against it. It happens in nature, and thus - it is natural.

First, I should mention that calling anyone who believes homosexuality is wrong in any way a "homophobe" is not only extremely rude but also the wrong term. I, for one, do not fear homosexuals or homosexuality in any way, but I still consider it to be what it is: unnatural and wrong. If you're going to debate something, you should at least be open to discussing it civilly with those, like me, who believe it should be stamped out.

Homophobic doesn't imply that you're going to see a homosexual person and cower in fear at their sight. It implies that you don't like seeing them together, it bothers you personally. It's like Xenophobia; if someone is Xenophobic, they're not going to go and hide and cower in fear if they see a foreign person/someone not like them, but they will be vehemently against them because they don't like them. Either way, if you think it is 'wrong', then you ARE a bigot, no matter how much you hate that label. A bigot is someone who is intolerant to those they don't like for a dumb reason. You don't tolerate gay people, I assume, from your post as you want it to be "stamped out", so you ARE a bigot. Whether or not that's a bad thing is completely up to you. Some people embrace being called a bigot. If you don't think it's ok for two people to be in love because you don't agree with it, that DOES make you a bigot, by definition, because you are intolerant towards them.

Second, one's worldview (basic presuppositions that are necessary to interpret and interact with reality) will be a huge factor in what you believe about homosexuality, as well as many, many other things. Please bear that in mind.

The same thing can be said for someone who thinks black people shouldn't have equal rights. Or that we should kill all the Jews. That doesn't make any of those views any less crazy or stupid. If someone genuinely believes that, they aren't to be taken seriously. Obviously we shouldn't kill all the Jews, and obviously we shouldn't "stamp out homosexuality." You CAN say "I personally don't like it. But people can do what they want." - you'd still be wrong, but you are entitled to believe what you want. You could also say "I support gays but I don't like seeing two men kiss." That's perfectly fine. But when you say you want to 'stamp out homosexuality', that makes me put you on the same side as people who are openly racist and want to kill a whole group.

Finally, when debating something like this, you have to be sure to separate love and lust. Homosexuality in all of its forms is born of love of self and lust. Real love means doing what's best for others, and homosexuality goes against that. One piece of evidence for this is the fact that the practice of homosexuality includes leading your partner toward suicide, feeding your partner poop, and making your partner die faster.

Actually, you can't say what 'real love' is. Lust isn't the same thing as love. It's completely possible for two people to get married and NEVER have sex (it's a bit irrational, but it's a possibility.)

Definition of love:
    an intense feeling of deep affection.

A man CAN feel an intense, deep affection towards another man. It doesn't mean that they're going to do what you imagine gay men do, it just means they're in love and they are allowed to be in love. Also, 'shoving poop down someone's throat' is not only a dumb argument, but it's also not true. You don't have to be gay to do that. There are plenty of straight couples who do things you'd find nasty, that doesn't make them wrong. You can't control peoples' sex lives. What would you say about two gay men who are in love and when they have sex, they stick to oral sex and then end it at that? Would you still say "EW LOOK AT THIS GROSS THING THEY'RE DOING, WE HAVE TO STOP THIS!"? That's not an argument. You don't dictate what two consenting adults can do to each other in their bedroom. Not only that, but that isn't a reason to get rid of homosexuality.

It is interesting that all of the evidence points to homosexuality being bad, and yet people advocate for it with the same religious zeal as ISIS suicide bombers. Therefore, questioning the intellectual grade of the question is not only allowed, but required. After all, isn't believing 1+1=7 just as stupid as condoning the abuse of someone whom you claim to love?
    Actually no, none of the evidence points to it being bad. If someone has mental issues, they need to be helped. Whether they're straight, gay, lesbian, etc. doesn't matter. If someone wants to commit suicide, it's for many different reasons. It's not like every single gay person is killing themselves - or even the majority of them for that matter.

Funny you mention ISIS considering they probably agree with you on this.

What do you mean by condoning the abuse of someone whom you claim to love? Are you suggesting that being in a homosexual relationship is abusing yourself? What do you say to those couples who are in a homosexual relationship and are 100% happy? Would you say they're being abused too?

It simply comes down to "I don't like it, so I don't want to see it." - in which case, you could say the same thing about a lot of things. For example, you could say "I don't like people with redhair. People with red hair statistically kill themselves more. We need to ban people with red hair." with the same amount of merit.

If there is a social stigma about something, perhaps that should be researched. Why do we have a social stigma about child marriage, for example, even though it's legal with parental consent? Why do we have a social stigma about religious indoctrination? Why do we have a social stigma about slavery? Why do we have a social stigma about genocide? I'm sure you'd all consider all of these things evil, and therefore be supportive of the social stigma against them all, but why?

Because we have legitimate reasons to not support those things outside of "my religion says so." Just because two things have a social stigma doesn't mean they are the same at all. For example, being in an interracial marriage had a stigma a few decades ago. Are you against that? Do you compare that to murder? They both have stigmas, right?

I base my morality on letting others enjoy their freedoms without intruding on others' freedoms. Seems a lot more rational to me than basing my morals off a book that condones slavery, murder, rape, genocide, homophobia, sexism, and putting your imaginary friends first (Abraham was gonna kill his son because god told him to? Even if god existed, that's a stupid thing to do under any circumstances).

That's so cute! Here, let me ask you something. What's two plus two? I have a condition, though: you're not allowed to say "four." It's too religious for me. You also aren't allowed to answer with anything that represents "four," such as a mixed number, decimal, or what "four" is spoken or written as in any other language. You're not allowed to raise your fingers or toes, and you're not allowed to use any form of sign language or gesture to give the answer "four."

Five Minus One.

Oh. This honestly explains everything.

I have a question for this by the way. If you're super against homosexuality because of your religion, are you equally against eating crab? Or women having the same rights as men? Or slavery? Or condemning your neighbor because they work on the sabbath day? Or hell, even being greedy? I always see religious nutjobs being super anti-homosexuality but never anti-greed, despite greed being featured far more prominently in the bible.

Last edited:

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • Your opinion is not the truth, it's way too far from being the truth. You cannot dictate what is right or wrong, you cannot claim knowledge, facts or evidence without providing them. All you've done so far is: Dictate, claim and links to website. As I said, you consume and you do not have words of your own. That, plus all you've said so far, proves that you're a consumerist.

Trust me man, I'm not afraid to get into a debate with someone that only claims and brags knowledge that is yet to be seen. If you're a religion freak, you're gonna have a hard time getting into a debate with someone open-minded as I am. I'd be willing to listen to you if you weren't so arrogant to believe you're capable of dictating what's wrong or right, you're just a man.

So was the apostle Paul, and he ended up imprisoned and executed. For what? Speaking the truth. All you've done in this post is prove you are exactly the opposite of what you claim to be. Only a closed-minded person would reject fact. Instead, you'd rather call me names and act like you're smart.

Godwin alert! Godwin alert!

But anyway, can we see those peer-reviewed scientific articles you read?

Journal of Human Sexuality, a peer-reviewed scholarly publication of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Oh, an association that considers homosexuality as a sickness that requires therapy. I guess none of their research will be tainited by the pre-conceived assumptions that give its own name to the associahahahahaha. (Funnily enough, according to the James Madison directory of Peer Reviewed Journals, there are some publications with a similar name- but this particular one is not a PRJ. Good try though!)
    This article first appeared in Christian Research Journal, volume 29, number 06 (2006). Oh, so a religious paper pretending to be a scientific journal. I guess none of their investigations will be tainted by their pre-assumed religious beliehahahaha. Also, not a PRJ.
    The third one references a paper that has been taken down from the Family Research Counil (not PRJ), which describes itself as "Pro-life and pro-marriage" and one that doesn't exist from a website called "marriageresourcesforclergy.com". Boy, it's like you go with your closed mind to look in places full of people who have the same pre-conceived ideas as you do. How did you describe it?

Anyway, so what does all of this religious wannabe-scientist circlejerking boil down to?

Oh yes. Religion. Of course. well, sorry to break it down to you, but you are entitled to your own opinions... not your own facts. Please do show some (real) peer-reviewed journals about this study. Ones written by scientists, not by some random dude who starts from a preconceived idea and then tries to make reality fit into it.

But who am I kidding, when that is the whole definition of religion. If you make such an effort to convince yourself that your favoured religion is "the true one", unlike the other 2834 versions and alternatives, then sure! But remember one thing: if you try to look at facts knowing what to think about them before even starting, then you'll only see what you want to see. But that's not science. That's ignorance. It's okay to be ignorant. But don't come and tell people they are "wrong" just because they don't happen to base all their knowledge about homosexuals on the idea that "homosexuality is evil".

Incidentally, you are more akin to a Trump voter than anybody else. Though you probably vote for Cruz, which is 0.000000001% better.

The golden rule: don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you. It's pretty simple and doesn't require you to be terrified of an imaginary being in the sky threatening you with eternal suffering in order to be nice to others.

I refuse to vote, actually. I don't believe any of the candidates can turn this country around. It'll turn out just like Sodom and Gomorrah did, and can you guess why? Because of people like you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Everyone has a religion, whether you want to call it that or not. It's just a philosophy regarding the supernatural, how the world got to be this way, and so forth. No one's unbiased.

By the way, the golden rule was taught to mankind by Jesus, so good job sparing me the debate and proving that you borrow your morality from Christianity only to use it to argue against Christianity. You don't get to cherry-pick. Your position refutes itself.

The thing is, I'm not saying he's not allowed to ask the question. I'm saying the question is stupid AND that it doesn't warrant a debate.

There's a difference between asking a question and getting and answer as compared to debating something.

Definition of Debate:
    argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.

A debate implies that there's an argument. What I'm saying is, there is no argument. Or at least, there shouldn't be. You should have a debate about illegal immigration cause there's two legitimate sides to it. Or you could have a debate about how to run an country, cause there are many plausible points of view there. Asking "Is homosexuality unnatural?" Doesn't warrant a debate, but instead just a response of "Yes, it is." the first response in this thread answered it in a way that is irrefutable (which is why no one has said the first response is wrong, because it isn't.)

For example, you SHOULDN'T have to debate whether or not shooting yourself in the head will kill you. That's not something that is lines for a debate, it's a question; ie: "Will you die if you shoot yourself in the head?" - you can answer it "More than likely, yeah." In this context, he asked if homosexuality is unnatural, and that is answered in a basic way (see: first response). And that's it. There. No debate. A question and an answer.

See, this is exactly my point, and I gave the correct answer. Instead of the thread ending, everyone decided to call me names and go on and on about how peer-reviewed journals and religions are automatically wrong. Does anyone on this thread even understand how logic works?

Why do people need to have kids to be in love? You can be in love with someone without having to have kids with them. If someone feels a natural urge to love someone, that's natural. People fall in love even though they may be sterile, should that matter?

Also, we're not arguing whether you're for it or against it, we're arguing that it's natural. Murder IS natural. But we aren't for it. We ARE for homosexuality, and it IS natural. Both murder and homosexuality are natural. The question isn't whether you're for it or against it. It happens in nature, and thus - it is natural.

Homophobic doesn't imply that you're going to see a homosexual person and cower in fear at their sight. It implies that you don't like seeing them together, it bothers you personally. It's like Xenophobia; if someone is Xenophobic, they're not going to go and hide and cower in fear if they see a foreign person/someone not like them, but they will be vehemently against them because they don't like them. Either way, if you think it is 'wrong', then you ARE a bigot, no matter how much you hate that label. A bigot is someone who is intolerant to those they don't like for a dumb reason. You don't tolerate gay people, I assume, from your post as you want it to be "stamped out", so you ARE a bigot. Whether or not that's a bad thing is completely up to you. Some people embrace being called a bigot. If you don't think it's ok for two people to be in love because you don't agree with it, that DOES make you a bigot, by definition, because you are intolerant towards them.

The same thing can be said for someone who thinks black people shouldn't have equal rights. Or that we should kill all the Jews. That doesn't make any of those views any less crazy or stupid. If someone genuinely believes that, they aren't to be taken seriously. Obviously we shouldn't kill all the Jews, and obviously we shouldn't "stamp out homosexuality." You CAN say "I personally don't like it. But people can do what they want." - you'd still be wrong, but you are entitled to believe what you want. You could also say "I support gays but I don't like seeing two men kiss." That's perfectly fine. But when you say you want to 'stamp out homosexuality', that makes me put you on the same side as people who are openly racist and want to kill a whole group.

Actually, you can't say what 'real love' is. Lust isn't the same thing as love. It's completely possible for two people to get married and NEVER have sex (it's a bit irrational, but it's a possibility.)

Definition of love:
    an intense feeling of deep affection.

A man CAN feel an intense, deep affection towards another man. It doesn't mean that they're going to do what you imagine gay men do, it just means they're in love and they are allowed to be in love. Also, 'shoving poop down someone's throat' is not only a dumb argument, but it's also not true. You don't have to be gay to do that. There are plenty of straight couples who do things you'd find nasty, that doesn't make them wrong. You can't control peoples' sex lives. What would you say about two gay men who are in love and when they have sex, they stick to oral sex and then end it at that? Would you still say "EW LOOK AT THIS GROSS THING THEY'RE DOING, WE HAVE TO STOP THIS!"? That's not an argument. You don't dictate what two consenting adults can do to each other in their bedroom. Not only that, but that isn't a reason to get rid of homosexuality.

Actually no, none of the evidence points to it being bad. If someone has mental issues, they need to be helped. Whether they're straight, gay, lesbian, etc. doesn't matter. If someone wants to commit suicide, it's for many different reasons. It's not like every single gay person is killing themselves - or even the majority of them for that matter.

Funny you mention ISIS considering they probably agree with you on this.

What do you mean by condoning the abuse of someone whom you claim to love? Are you suggesting that being in a homosexual relationship is abusing yourself? What do you say to those couples who are in a homosexual relationship and are 100% happy? Would you say they're being abused too?

It simply comes down to "I don't like it, so I don't want to see it." - in which case, you could say the same thing about a lot of things. For example, you could say "I don't like people with redhair. People with red hair statistically kill themselves more. We need to ban people with red hair." with the same amount of merit.

Because we have legitimate reasons to not support those things outside of "my religion says so." Just because two things have a social stigma doesn't mean they are the same at all. For example, being in an interracial marriage had a stigma a few decades ago. Are you against that? Do you compare that to murder? They both have stigmas, right?

I base my morality on letting others enjoy their freedoms without intruding on others' freedoms. Seems a lot more rational to me than basing my morals off a book that condones slavery, murder, rape, genocide, homophobia, sexism, and putting your imaginary friends first (Abraham was gonna kill his son because god told him to? Even if god existed, that's a stupid thing to do under any circumstances).

Five Minus One.

Oh. This honestly explains everything.

I have a question for this by the way. If you're super against homosexuality because of your religion, are you equally against eating crab? Or women having the same rights as men? Or slavery? Or condemning your neighbor because they work on the sabbath day? Or hell, even being greedy? I always see religious nutjobs being super anti-homosexuality but never anti-greed, despite greed being featured far more prominently in the bible.

Oh look, another expert at taking the Bible out of context. You do realize that I'm not a Jew, right? Jesus Christ is the Son of God, so naturally He has the authority to say whether Mosaic Law applies to us or not. As it happens, He did do away with a few things, such as restrictions on food (see Mark 7). Maybe if you didn't cherry-pick, you'd know that. The difference between Jews and Christians is Jews reject the idea that Christ is the Son of God with the authority to forgive sins. They still hold to the Old Testament laws as a result, denouncing Christ as some madman.

Honestly? I don't like to debate with people as close-minded as you, and Gilles de Rais are. Both of you are wrong; humans aren't apt to the task of dictating what is morally wrong or right. Go check the moral nihilism thread to know what I'm talking about, I don't wanna go off-topic. Everything can be a debate, and everything has more than one side.

You say this shouldn't be a debate, and yet you're debating. Nothing is irrefutable, everything is relative.

If a human being misinterprets a philosophy or an idea, does that condemn the philosophy or idea when the human being in question commits an atrocity in its name? Of course not; that would imply that free will is removed by philosophies or ideas. You also say that everything is relative, but please demonstrate that when it comes to "1+1=2."

Oh, wait, you can't argue against absolute fact. Christianity is absolute fact, too, whether you want to accept it or not.

I disagree, but considering we seem to be on the same side, screw it. Let's move past it. Let's agree to disagree.

See, this is smart. This is intelligent.

I'll take the chance of getting reprimanded just to say what I'm sure everyone else is thinking: you're a massive asshole.

People like you are the reason suicide is the leading cause of death for gays in this country. Now I know we're all allowed to have our opinions, but I draw the line at belittling an entire group of people based on their sexual orientation by deeming them "evil."

"All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." "God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save it." So why don't you tell me? Homosexuality isn't the only sin. You've committed murder in your heart by hating me. I by no means am perfect, either. So if all of mankind has fallen, you tell me...are we all evil? Or do we just do evil things? Because let there be no question: sin is evil. It always has been. It always will be. Where in this thread did I call homosexuals evil as opposed to calling homosexuality evil? Where did I say people are evil rather than their acts?

If people like me are the reason homosexuals commit suicide, it's because they're like you and some of the other people on this thread: selfish, closed-minded, dishonest, and completely wrong.

However, it is far more likely that homosexuals commit suicide because they can't find the real love that only someone who understands what real love is can offer. If a gay man asked me out, my response wouldn't be, "No, you're an evil little sinner." It would be, "No, because I care enough about you to not encourage you to engage in something that is wrong." I just so happen to be abrasive and direct at times.

And if people have killed themselves because of "people like me," then they've already faced God. They've already been judged. And if they were anything like you are right now, I guarantee you they're burning for eternity.

So, as a warning and as a plea to all of you who still think I'm full of crap, turn around. You're hell-bound, and neither God nor I want that for anyone. But if you're selfish and foolish enough to say in your heart that there's no God, then hell is what you'll get.

Now, let that be the end of this thread. The answer has already been given, anyway.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • What a devolution this topic came to. People can't express different opinions without telling people that they reserve a spot in Hell, or being patronizing when someone brings up their own points by calling them cute, and worse. Uncivil discourse.

This is what the debate typically comes down to, I have come to see, and that's what people define as "natural":

Does having sex with another human result in the potential of procreation? If not, one camp will say, it is not natural, because sex was not performed in the way it was intended. They would say that anal and oral sex are just as unnatural as the desire.

Does having sex with another human need to have the potential of procreation? If not, you likely also agree with the idea that sex is a natural desire, regardless of how it's done, and what you desire is a natural biology unrelated to the programming of an "intelligent design". Any sex, consequently, is psychologically natural, but people will make a distinction between homosexual acts and acts that they consider deviant, disturbed, or especially socially unacceptable, like, say, having sex with the tailpipe of your hot rod car.

And it is at that line where many people from the first camp will draw a comparison to a man having sex with another man on par with a man having sex with a goat, because both have a natural desire to have sex, but with something that is unnatural to have sex with, although one is far more apt to be unnatural than another, based on not only the inability to procreate, but because, well, one is a completely different species. Haha!

And the second camp will assert that this only concerns consenting human adults, and that this deals not with lust but with love that manifests itself into a physical form.

I will not say what I believe. This is just what I've seen people resort to in their responses, amidst all the insults and accusations of one's personal character for believing something different than another.

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • Yes, you are full of crap.

[/COLOR][/I]Explain to me HOW did I proved to be close-minded and what facts am I rejecting? See? I know what you do; you don't have a personality, you don't have thoughts of your own. You're a consumerist. You assume and dictate without any real proof, logic or reasoning to back up what you say.

All you've done is prove me right, you brag about things you don't have, and have proven yourself as a religious freak. Either that or you're a troll, which still proves me right.

Jesus Himself was crucified by people like you, so I guess I should wear your name-calling as a badge of honor. It doesn't change the fact you're wrong, though. You claim I haven't used any real proof or logic, but I have. You claim I'm a consumerist, but that's just a cop out on your part. You claim I have no thoughts of my own, but you fail to realize that I challenged Christianity the most when I was younger, and for all my poking and prodding, it's actually the only belief that ended up making sense. I destroyed the rest.

I can prove you're closed-minded for years to come, but it won't matter because you're closed-minded. You won't admit to your errors. You'll just keep arguing because I'm "a religious freak."

No, it's because of dickheads like you that make them feel like they're less of a person. I'm not sure what exists out there, but if it were to tell me to act like you and every other sanctimonious homophobe ruining this country, I'd take my chances with Hell.

You clearly haven't seen me talk to a homosexual person that didn't attack me like you have. Your accusations are meaningless.

I hate to break it to you pal but love is the product of the segregations of hormones, which allows you to feel love towards animals and even inanimate objects.

And buddy, even if Hell does exists; pretty sure you have a reserved seat next to the devil.

[/COLOR][/I]In different bases, 1+1 does not equal 2. In binary, 1+1 could have a lot of different outcomes. At quantum levels, 1 could equal everything and nothing at the same time. Everything is relative, deal with it.

Besides, you talk about, science, math, facts and you bring God and Hell to this equation? You're nuts.

Ooh, that's clever. And rather meaningless.

Science confirms what the Bible says as true, math and logic prove it, and you refuse to believe. Are you sure you're not the one who's nuts here?

Does it matter whether or not it's natural? All I know is, it's a hell of a lot of fun ;)

That is the question posed, so I tried to answer it. That being said, it does matter that it's sinful, whether it's "natural" or not.

What a devolution this topic came to. People can't express different opinions without telling people that they reserve a spot in Hell, or being patronizing when someone brings up their own points by calling them cute, and worse. Uncivil discourse.

This is what the debate typically comes down to, I have come to see, and that's what people define as "natural":

Does having sex with another human result in the potential of procreation? If not, one camp will say, it is not natural, because sex was not performed in the way it was intended. They would say that anal and oral sex are just as unnatural as the desire.

Does having sex with another human need to have the potential of procreation? If not, you likely also agree with the idea that sex is a natural desire, regardless of how it's done, and what you desire is a natural biology unrelated to the programming of an "intelligent design". Any sex, consequently, is psychologically natural, but people will make a distinction between homosexual acts and acts that they consider deviant, disturbed, or especially socially unacceptable, like, say, having sex with the tailpipe of your hot rod car.

And it is at that line where many people from the first camp will draw a comparison to a man having sex with another man on par with a man having sex with a goat, because both have a natural desire to have sex, but with something that is unnatural to have sex with, although one is far more apt to be unnatural than another, based on not only the inability to procreate, but because, well, one is a completely different species. Haha!

And the second camp will assert that this only concerns consenting human adults, and that this deals not with lust but with love that manifests itself into a physical form.

I will not say what I believe. This is just what I've seen people resort to in their responses, amidst all the insults and accusations of one's personal character for believing something different than another.

Well, exactly what did you expect? The question posed has a very simple answer that apparently no one on this thread even wants to hear or read. Honestly, I'd be laughing my head off if the whole state of affairs weren't so disgustingly sad.

More to the points you made though, yes, sex in and of itself is definitely natural. However, as its primary functions are both reproduction and keeping a married (that's one man and one woman by the way, no exceptions) couple intimate both romantically and on base psychological levels, homosexuality is, by definition, unnatural. Just like every other sinful act.

There's nothing new under the sun. Are we done with this thread yet, or should I expect more people to call me a dickhead?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I will never understand why the topic of sexuality gets people riled up as much as it does....

I have said this before in other threads, but people really need to learn to control themselves and their emotions in debates. It is fine if you feel passionate about something, but that doesn't mean you can let yourself be blinded by it and start resorting to ad hominems and calling people trolls or Hitler or saying they're going to hell. The majority of people here are adults, let's try to act like it and be calm and civil while discussing this topic. I don't care how fucked up you think their stance is or how much of a dick they're being to you or others, you don't be an asshole in return.

A few of you will be getting yellow cards after I finish this post. You guys should feel special, these'll be the first ones I've ever had to hand out during my time as a moderator. If y'all can't settle down and the thread continues along this course, then it's infractions next, and the thread will likely be permanently locked. This is your only warning.

@Gilles de Rais: While I think that some of people's reactions to you has to do with your unpopular (for this site) opinion on the matter, the more important part, to me at least, is how you're supporting your argument. The amount of easily accessible information on the internet is a wonderful thing, but it's a double-edged blade in that there is also tons of shit to sift through. Research does not matter if it's from biased sources and/or sources with poor research methods. And that's the case with your arguments and links, as Kanzler and Went/Ivysaur have pointed out: your sources are significantly biased and were also probably not the most well-executed. Furthermore you yourself are also biased, as you have shown in your posts in this thread, particularly with lines like this:
    Oh, wait, you can't argue against absolute fact. Christianity is absolute fact, too, whether you want to accept it or not.
    and other such lines.
    Despite your claims of being open-minded and doing the research and whatnot, that's not exactly true. What I believe happened is that you (perhaps subconsciously) simply sought out or accepted only sources that supported your already existing ideas about the topic. We call this confirmation bias. It is admittedly a difficult thing for many people to avoid. You could make the argument that everyone is biased (which is true to some degree) and this is therefore moot, but it is possible to get pretty damn close to being objective and unbiased.

There is also the issue of you being adamant in your assertions that what you say is the truth or absolute fact, like in the above quote and a few others. Nothing is true or fact unless you can definitively prove it so.....which you have not really done so far. It's also just kind of arrogant and no one likes that.

Going to say again like I did in the other sexuality thread that this is all something everyone should keep in mind, not just Gilles. A few of you have not been a whole lot better than him.

By the way, the golden rule was taught to mankind by Jesus
    Minor nitpick, but I'm almost certain that the golden rule has appeared in some form in most religions in the world's history, so it's not really exclusive to Christianity.

Gilles de Rais said:
    First, I should mention that calling anyone who believes homosexuality is wrong in any way a "homophobe" is not only extremely rude but also the wrong term. I, for one, do not fear homosexuals or homosexuality in any way, but I still consider it to be what it is: unnatural and wrong.
    Fear and hate is almost inseparable when it comes to humans. What we fear we often hate as well, and vice versa, so using the term homophobe or homophobia to describe the hatred of gays is not incorrect if you ask me.

Science confirms what the Bible says as true, math and logic prove it, and you refuse to believe. Are you sure you're not the one who's nuts here?
    .....Source(s) please? This is not the first (or even the tenth) time I've heard that one, and since we're in the debate forum you really should provide sources and such for that. Though that'd be better in a different thread.

My point is, this SHOULDN'T be a debate. This shouldn't be a debate any more than "Should we treat black people differently?" should be a debate. It's a stupid question.
    Ideally we would not have to have discussions about things like homophobia or racism, because ideally we should be able to get along with everyone regardless of sexuality or skin color or whatever and just treat each other all as human beings, but that is not the reality we live in. We do live in a world where racism and homophobia (and so many other things) is a problem, and not discussing it at all is not likely to get us any closer to that ideal world. It's almost never worked in the past as far as I know.

Gilles de Rais

Abominable One
    Years
  • I can accept this result. That being said, there is absolutely no one who is without bias. If you're going to single me out, I can very easily prove that everyone else on this thread (except for the topic starter, who did nothing but ask the question) is biased as well. Some are extremely obvious, such as anyone who calls Christianity a load of bull. In Matthew 12:30, Christ Himself stated that you're either with Him or against Him, and I can think of no better statement He made that's relevant to the topic of bias. Therefore, your statement about using biased sources is pretty much invalid.

That being said, I don't claim to be the best at debate. All I can do is speak the truth, as the apostle Paul did, and watch as everyone else shows their true colors by their responses to it.

Either way, I consider the matter settled. A question was asked, and the correct answer was given. If I remember correctly, forums like this usually have an ignore list function. For people who hate me, such as UndertakerFreak1127 (my evidence being the fact he called me an asshole), I strongly recommend the use of that function. Or, better yet, all of you can pray to be saved, which is really the only correct response to the Bible anyway.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Well, I think it's established that it is natural, so let me go a different direction with this post.

I've been involved in a debate before, where I argued that homosexuality was natural, and all of the sudden someone responded with a process in nature that is natural where a female spider eats the male spider after mating (this could be a little inaccurate - this took place several years ago) and then they're like "But something being natural does not make something good" and I'm like... Excuse me? I never argued whether or not being natural or unnatural assigned something as right or wrong. It is entirely the anti-homosexuality crowd that wants to argue that, that homosexual is wrong because - they argue - it is unnatural.

Anyway, I recently thought about how our culture - including conservative Christians - couldn't actually care less about what is natural or what isn't natural in other cases. Perhaps this is a strange comparison to make, but I've been thinking about how as women we are told we must shave all of our body hair aside from that growing on our head. I thought that if we're basing our standards on what is natural and what isn't, then it makes absolutely no sense that I'm told to shave my legs, and such, because that is... drum role please, unnatural.

I do not see the anti-homosexuality crowd as being any great defenders of keeping humanity to what is natural. They are, from the way I see it, all about control. Of course, it's right to not assume that natural is right, and unnatural is wrong... But from the way I see it, if the whole argument that homosexuality being unnatural makes it wrong, then we've got quite some hypocrisy here.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yo everyone first of all you should stop twisting around things like religion and genders. These things are very much different and nothing and they are independent too. It's so irrational to mix those things together. Secondly, there is no homophobic and such words just if someone doesn't like homosexuality doesn't make him homophobic and since it doesn't exist there doesn't exist straightophobic too. So to sum up, some people ignore homosexuals by ignore i mean they accept them without argue and some argue and don't accept them. It's like Pokemon Game Fan said we shouldn't debate a lot about that since to some it's unatural and to some it's natural it's like playing an endless game. So, the right answer to the question is homosexuality unatural a good fitting answer would be depends on the person to some it is to some no it isn't. Hope it helps.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Back