• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
I think the perception of the new type would be quite different had they spelled it "Faerie". The old English spelling of words generally makes them seem more mystical and less contemporary. In brief, Faerie seems far less "Disney" than "fairy".

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Here's my thing, though. All of these people defending the Fairy-type with the Old World fables about sinister or mischievous faeries aren't really saying much about the Pokemon fairies, because they've all been cute and/or fairly graceful so far. Still waiting for the sinister and badass Fairy-type Pokemon...

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Here's my thing, though. All of these people defending the Fairy-type with the Old World fables about sinister or mischievous faeries aren't really saying much about the Pokemon fairies, because they've all been cute and/or fairly graceful so far. Still waiting for the sinister and badass Fairy-type Pokemon...

True. CoroCoro was a missed opportunity to showcase a badass Fairy to win over heathens.

Disney Fairies are not all cute. Maleficent is a fairy with all the powers of Hell. Because some fairys just roll that way. Granted, that fairy also turned into a dragon. But it was a FAIRY DRAGON.

Years
I don't understand why people reacted to the fairy type that way. It is the Pokemon world guys not our world. lol Jigglypuff or Marill can be fairy types but are they even going to damage dragon Pokemon that much? The only strong Fairy they have revealed is Gardevoir.(and Sylveon perhaps). Sylveon used the power Moon Blast and Gardevoir Fairy Wind. They are using "magic". To me, the fairy type makes more sense to kill Dragons than the Ice type.

They could not name the type Magic type because of the Psychic type which is a part of magic. So they named it Fairy because fairies are magical creatures.

blue

gucci
Years
Well Fairies and Dragons are both mythical creatures and since Fairies counteract Dragons in Pokemon I'd say it's pretty fitting. I'd say the overall type chart is a little more balanced thanks to this new type addition.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Fairies zomg

I hope Blissey isn't a fairy, just because it could throw it's defensive typing out of whack a bit (i dont know what fairy's weak too yet)

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
I have no objections with the new type but... if it's going to be immune to dragons then I'm really not happy first Dragon type was one of my favorates second it makes no sense to me to be immune to them, well dragon type Pokémon well have good stats but they're only super effective to each other which makes dragon type useless on every other Pokémon!

In my opinion GF should make both types super effective on each other, this will make the balance much more suitable to me.

Aquaphyre

水が好きな人
Years
Could I just say i actually LOVE the idea that they gave the new type the name fairy type, and that it is strong against dragon types? To me, it's kinda like Game Freak is tellig us you don't have to be the most powerful/macho/masculine/tough looking to defeat the baddest.... Everyone is strong in their own way :]

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
That type certainly has its niche of hitting Dragons hard. Wouldn't it be cool (or cruel rather) if it was resisted and/or hit super-effectively by Normal? Normal types desperately need a full advantage over some type, not just an immunity to Ghost, and I hope that the Fairy type will be one of them. I believe that this will make competitive battling a bit fairer.

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
Could I just say i actually LOVE the idea that they gave the new type the name fairy type, and that it is strong against dragon types? To me, it's kinda like Game Freak is tellig us you don't have to be the most powerful/macho/masculine/tough looking to defeat the baddest.... Everyone is strong in their own way :]

Absolutely true, I'm also happy with it, stioo the immunity to dragon will turn me off, many pokemon will be reclassified as fairy (Jigglypuff gardevoir Clefairy pherhaps? Chansey? Audino?) Which will make dragon type pokemon pretty weak to much pokemon tough.

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2013
In my opinion, it should be super-effective against Steel whether or not it makes sense to be, just because everything besides Fire and Fighting doesn't do much to Steel-types.

On another note, I wish GameFreak showed/shows more Fairy-types to the public. The only one shown so far is the one that has a flower with it (which in my book should be enough to classify it as Fairy/Grass). Does that one even have an English name yet? And I think that Vivillon, the new Bug/Flying-type should be Fairy/Bug, purely going off of the color on its wings and how they resemble Sylveon's colors.

I've said my piece.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

In my opinion, it should be super-effective against Steel whether or not it makes sense to be, just because everything besides Fire and Fighting doesn't do much to Steel-types.

On another note, I wish GameFreak showed/shows more Fairy-types to the public. The only one shown so far is the one that has a flower with it (which in my book should be enough to classify it as Fairy/Grass). Does that one even have an English name yet? And I think that Vivillon, the new Bug/Flying-type should be Fairy/Bug, purely going off of the color on its wings and how they resemble Sylveon's colors.

I've said my piece.

I've said my piece.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It'll make sense if fairy is weak against Steel (if one thinks of it as metal type rather than literal steel) as in some legends fairies are weak against silver just like werewolves and other magical creatures.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
That type certainly has its niche of hitting Dragons hard. Wouldn't it be cool (or cruel rather) if it was resisted and/or hit super-effectively by Normal? Normal types desperately need a full advantage over some type, not just an immunity to Ghost, and I hope that the Fairy type will be one of them. I believe that this will make competitive battling a bit fairer.

I've been making jokes about this since Fairies became real. I think it would be hilarious if Normal types were SE and either Resisted or were Immune to Fairy Types.

Absolutely true, I'm also happy with it, stioo the immunity to dragon will turn me off, many pokemon will be reclassified as fairy (Jigglypuff gardevoir Clefairy pherhaps? Chansey? Audino?) Which will make dragon type pokemon pretty weak to much pokemon tough.

I can't see an Immunity to Dragon. Only one Type pulls the Immunity/SE combo and that is Dark to Psychic. Dark is SE to Psychic and immune. Only reason I think this was even considered is because the sole purpose to adding in Fairy types were to try and balance out the Dragons.

Sadly none of the Pokemon so far (with 2 exceptions) would be able to put a real dent into a commonly seen Dragon Pokemon before being overpowered or overwhelmed. Chansey and Audino could outlast the others but their offensive stats aren't that great and wouldn't do much but sit there like a couple of punching bags.

Gardevoir and Sylveon have a chance of being heavy hitters what with Gardevoir nearly KOing Hydreigon with one Fairy attack. The type may be nice, but the Pokemon, even some of the potential aren't going to have very much effect. Its going to be like Ice. Hardly anyone will use Ice types outside of a handful, but Ice attacks are fairly common in attack lists due to Dragons in the Meta.

Same for Poison types. The Pokemon aren't used because their individual stats are poor, but the type is fairly common in the competitive circuit.

Right now, Sylveon and Gardevoir are barely justifiable counter measures against Dragons. Gardevoir may finally pull out of NU and maybe up to UU. Sylveon can go anywhere between NU and UU like the rest of its family, the other Fairies shown (with exception to the newest one since we don't know anything about it) aren't really going to move much on the lists. They weren't used because of their stats and moves being sub par to others and they very well may remain that way.

It'll make sense if fairy is weak against Steel (if one thinks of it as metal type rather than literal steel) as in some legends fairies are weak against silver just like werewolves and other magical creatures.

Majority of Folklore where Fairies are evil or vindictive, they are weakened or can be killed by plain iron. Some stories say magnetized iron or some constantly say "Cold Iron" which is pretty much just iron. Those that believed in those superstitions hung horse shoes in their door way or buried iron nails in the four corners of their property as they set barriers that the Fae and other otherworldly apparitions couldn't pass through or touch.

In fact some Fae were also empowered by by metals like Silver and Gold. Silver usually more because of the purity is highly sought after tool in magical practices (RPG, Folklore, Fairytales, and modern religion)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Sadly though, I feel it would have to be an immunity for Fairy to be an actual threat against Dragons. Many steel types have proven to be futile as time and time again, they're usually 2HKO'd by an Outraging Dragon (and if not that, a Fire Blast would suffice) and the like, provided they're powered up to +1/+2, or have Choice Band (which is actually more common than you think). Plus, what if Dragon types learn moves that might be super effective against fairy, the way that they already learn moves (such as Earthquake/Fire Blast) that are already super-effective against Steel/Ice-types? At this point in time, just a simple "resistance" just isn't going to stop something like Moxie Salamence from it's main STABs.

They never said Fairy was meant to be a threat. Only to add another weakness and thus balancing out Dragon with another option of attack. They may not even make Fairy resist Dragon either and go a different route with them defensively.

Again they can also shuffle the current list. Fairy has already done what it was made to do. Add another weakness to Dragon. Really that's all that needs to be done. Even with immunity, won't change much of anything as Dragons have other attacks in the wing that are still devastating.

They may also add a way to bypass Fairy's immunity over Dragon as some other types can bypass type immunity. Only Ground and Steel are the only two I remember that haven't been bypassed without changing the opponent's type.

Seems too much for an easier fix. Shuffle the type chart for better resist spread against Dragon. Not all Dragons are powerhouses like the five most common. Most of them have x4 Damage and can be one shot if faster.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I can't see an Immunity to Dragon. Only one Type pulls the Immunity/SE combo and that is Dark to Psychic. Dark is SE to Psychic and immune. Only reason I think this was even considered is because the sole purpose to adding in Fairy types were to try and balance out the Dragons.

Ground-type is super effective on Electric and immune to it.

Isn't there a "Fairy" type in Touhoumon?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Really all they need to do is make Stronger Fairy types that hit hard and fast, make weaker or even less Dragons this go round, shuffle the Type chart a bit to push more resist to dragon and a few other types maybe.

Immunities don't really throw in a balance. Fairy can all have the same stats as Ice or Poison Pokemon, then what good is them being Immune to dragon? Switch to absorb damage and then get blasted by another move because they are just frail doesn't really help at all competitively. Even if something like Blissey were to be added to the Fairy list. Bulky HP, moderate Defenses. Horrible Offense. Dragon's punching bag. They can even save their more powerful attacks since its immune for use later on something that really needs to take the hit and just whittle away at it with other attacks.

Ground-type is super effective on Electric and immune to it.

Isn't there a "Fairy" type in Touhoumon?

Ok. Slipped on that one, but its been said before in here or in another thread. Electric have a severe lack of power and Earthquake is so common that you don't even have to use Ground types to obliterate electric types. Its the exact opposite of the dragon issue. Even after the last shuffle Psychics still were in over abundance until later generations pushing them down as well.

Even with Ground types relation to Electric their individual merits are what have limited those two types. Electric also only has one weakness. Defensively they are more stable than Dragon who rely on resist to overcome their weaknesses even though they only resist the basic types (Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric) Dragons rely on secondary types and high stats to get through life. Offensively Dragon is better than Electric in a way. Though they only SE hit themselves they are only resisted (so far) by Steel. Electric SE hits Water and Flying (which is common on dragons undoing their resistance to it)

Really more resistance would to Dragons good offensively as a balance. Immunity is overkill.

I mean they want to balance out Dragon, not cripple or destroy it. They aim for less use, but not obsolete which most will probably not use as many Dragons with new weaknesses.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I like the fact that there's going to be a new type, but I don't like it being called as a Fairy type. I dunno, but for me, it sounds a bit too girly for my taste. =/
But anyway, I like the fact that it's super effective against Dragon types. I've had a hard time dealing with Cynthia's Garchomp... >.>

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I just realized, with people being irked by Fairy because of how feminine it seems - those are card types in Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic the Gathering, especially with the latter being less female oriented it doesn't seem to deter men from playing those games (and very seriously, I might add) :b

I think it's a matter of getting used to it. I'm on the girly side with my taste in things so I love it, so I can see where some people are coming from but really there aren't exactly a lot of "cute" or "feminine" Pokemon that are say, Fighting-type. That doesn't stop me from using them if the need arises though.

Plus, Jorgen von Strangle puts the manliness in fairy.

Back