• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey is Team Rocket really a team?

Years
  • Okay in our English dub they are always Teams of criminals but in the Japanese episodes with subs they are called gangs
    i.e. The Rocket Gang
    does anyone know if I am wrong because i have only seen a handful in Japanese?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • In the Japanese versions, villianous teams are referred to as gangs, with the "-dan" suffix:
    -Team Rocket = Rocket-dan
    -Team Magma = Magma-dan
    -Team Aqua = Aqua-dan
    -Team Galactic = Galaxy-dan
    -Team Plasma = Plasma-dan

So you're not wrong here.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I think they are bad though? Like, we refer to them as an 'evil team', don't we? That's about the level of a gang I think. Across the languages '-dan' is translated as Army, Troops, Group, Gang, and Team. That kind of implies some structured operations. And they're certainly fairly villainous. They may not be the same type of gang you immediately picture as an American youth; they're more of a gang like you would picture... idk, the mafia or the yakuza being (disclaimer I know nothing about either). More of an organized crime syndicate than a band of urban thugs.

Years
  • I think the japanese subs make more sense ans through that way kids don't go wondering what is the meaning behind gang. You know every one can make a gang and through this , we don't get any negative buff from this. While in the english dubs, the word Team is used which also resembles a peaceful group.

Back