• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
In this version (Version 13), my Jolteon got paralyzed (To my knowledge, this can't happen in Gen 6 to an electric-type... Can somebody verify this since I don't actually have a 3ds, and I'm just going by what my friends tell me?), Later on, he attacked a Nidoran and the poison point ability poisoned him when he was still paralyzed.

Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.
I don't recall ever saying that Essentials works just like Gen 6 does. It's a missing feature, sure, but it's not a bug.

Can you replicate the second part of what you said, i.e. a paralysed Pokémon becoming poisoned by Poison Point? The code says this shouldn't happen.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I don't recall ever saying that Essentials works just like Gen 6 does. It's a missing feature, sure, but it's not a bug.

Can you replicate the second part of what you said, i.e. a paralysed Pokémon becoming poisoned by Poison Point? The code says this shouldn't happen.

In retrospect, and attempting to duplicate the steps, I think it might be an oversight on my part. Jolteon was paralyzed, but looking again, I picked up Brendan as a partner, and because of that, Jolteon didn't have a status problem after the next battle, so when I battled Nidoran, Jolteon was okay and I just didn't realize the CPU had healed me. So my bad, I just didn't notice what was (or wasn't) right in front of me the first time.

Ah well, if nothing else I brought the paralysis thing to your attention. That shouldn't be hard to implement for the next version at least.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
On the subject of potentially stacking status effects incorrectly, I did have a case where I had a Ralts confuse a sleeping Pokemon. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be able to happen or not; the card game handles SE slightly differently and I don't quite remember how the video game SEs stack (admittedly, it's been a while since I played the video games other than just recently picking up Pokemon Essentials and I'm behind a couple of gens so I'm also having to frequently reference Bulbapedia to see how the newer stuff works and what the newer Pokemon are).

The Ralts in question is one customized to have a custom move set (this particular Ralts is one of the starter options so I needed it to stand-alone at level 5 better). It has Shadow Sneak, Sing, Growl, and Quick Attack as the starting moveset, but I had leveled it up and replaced Growl with Confusion. Then later on in a battle (I forget against what, but probably a Rattata or a Furret), I used Sing to put the normal type opponent to sleep and then Confusion to whittle their HP down, and in the process, confused them. The Ralts is also Shiny, just in case that somehow makes a bizarre difference (code can be weird). I can get you more stats about the Ralts if needed.

If that's supposed to happen, then never mind; I'm just being lame. But if not, then I thought you should know.

Also, I haven't finished reading the reported bugs thread yet, so I'm not sure if this is already reported, but while I'm making a post anyway....
I had a weird issue involving Charmander and battle text font size. I had a Charmander (I randomly nicknamed him Spazzler; just the first thing that popped into my head). Whenever I had Spazzler as the active Pokemon in battle and then switched him out for another Pokemon, most of the battle text (such as "Cleffa used Pound!" etc) would often get so tiny that I could barely read it. I have not seen this happen with any other Pokemon yet (but I haven't played around with a big variety yet). And unfortunately, I didn't have that particular game save around long enough to thoroughly document all the factors that might play into it (such as switching from Spazzler to a specific Pokemon), as I had started a "New Game" to test out a feature that took place earlier than my save file, and the game decided to crash and auto-saved, over-writing the file with Spazzler. I don't know if it was his name, species, the combination thereof, or some other factor (like one of his stats or something) that was causing the font size to shrink.

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
On the subject of potentially stacking status effects incorrectly, I did have a case where I had a Ralts confuse a sleeping Pokemon. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be able to happen or not; the card game handles SE slightly differently and I don't quite remember how the video game SEs stack (admittedly, it's been a while since I played the video games other than just recently picking up Pokemon Essentials and I'm behind a couple of gens so I'm also having to frequently reference Bulbapedia to see how the newer stuff works and what the newer Pokemon are).

The Ralts in question is one customized to have a custom move set (this particular Ralts is one of the starter options so I needed it to stand-alone at level 5 better). It has Shadow Sneak, Sing, Growl, and Quick Attack as the starting moveset, but I had leveled it up and replaced Growl with Confusion. Then later on in a battle (I forget against what, but probably a Rattata or a Furret), I used Sing to put the normal type opponent to sleep and then Confusion to whittle their HP down, and in the process, confused them. The Ralts is also Shiny, just in case that somehow makes a bizarre difference (code can be weird). I can get you more stats about the Ralts if needed.

If that's supposed to happen, then never mind; I'm just being lame. But if not, then I thought you should know.

Also, I haven't finished reading the reported bugs thread yet, so I'm not sure if this is already reported, but while I'm making a post anyway....
I had a weird issue involving Charmander and battle text font size. I had a Charmander (I randomly nicknamed him Spazzler; just the first thing that popped into my head). Whenever I had Spazzler as the active Pokemon in battle and then switched him out for another Pokemon, most of the battle text (such as "Cleffa used Pound!" etc) would often get so tiny that I could barely read it. I have not seen this happen with any other Pokemon yet (but I haven't played around with a big variety yet). And unfortunately, I didn't have that particular game save around long enough to thoroughly document all the factors that might play into it (such as switching from Spazzler to a specific Pokemon), as I had started a "New Game" to test out a feature that took place earlier than my save file, and the game decided to crash and auto-saved, over-writing the file with Spazzler. I don't know if it was his name, species, the combination thereof, or some other factor (like one of his stats or something) that was causing the font size to shrink.

confusion is not a Status Effect, and can be stacked with affection (being in love with the opponent pokemon) and (for example) paralysis - confusion and affection are not status effects as they are "cured" once the pokemon is returned to the party

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Found an error with the editor

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonEditor2 #####:1224:in `pbPokemonEditor'

PokemonEditor2 #####:1035:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1209:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1234:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor2 #####:1035:in `pbPokemonEditor'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain #####:85:in `loop'

EditorMain #####:279:in `pbEditorMenu'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Ceri\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

You can reproduce it by going to edit a pokemon, viewing the effort points section, then saving effort points and saving pokemon, that error pops up when returning to the pokemon list. Doesnt happen if you dont view the effort points

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Whenever my player chooses a starter Pokemon the "[Player] recieved [Pokemon" message appears like it should. However, when I go into the Party menu, these errors appears:

When I'm playtesting:

Exception:Runtime Error
SpriteWindow: 218: in 'initialize'
PokemonSprite:113: in 'pokemoon='
PokemonParty:341: in 'new'
PokemonParty 341: in 'initialize
PokemonParty:614: in 'pbStartScene'
PokemonParty:612; in 'each'
PokemonParty:612 in 'pbStartScene

When I play the game file:

Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured
filename is nil

I've also been getting this error, and have redownloaded Essentials twice, and keep getting the same error.
I extract essentials into a folder using winrar, so should I be using a different method, like 7-Zip? Is there something I'm missing? I'm not even sure where to look for any missing sprites in essentials. Any help will be appreciated.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I've also been getting this error, and have redownloaded Essentials twice, and keep getting the same error.
I extract essentials into a folder using winrar, so should I be using a different method, like 7-Zip? Is there something I'm missing? I'm not even sure where to look for any missing sprites in essentials. Any help will be appreciated.
Read the post below fuelre1 post.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Read the post below fuelre1 post.

Post #553 to be exact, sometimes it's just better to show us directly where the fix/answer is, no matter how silly it seems.

To answer his question anyway, it seems you have added the sprites wrong, not that you are missing anything.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Has anyone had weird errors with the animation pack that is currently included in v13? For some animations, such as defense curl and harden, the animation cels appear at the upper left hand corner of the screen as oppose to center when playtesting both my game and another fangame that I recently picked up. Other animations like growl or sand-attack don't seem to leave the center of the allied battler, and instead clump together weirdly.

What's weird about this is that when I play each default animation in the editor, they work perfectly, and every cel appears at the right position.

Another thing worth mentioning, the "use pokemon cry" sound feature seems to work only for the allied Pokemon, yet the enemy side always seems to use "001Cry" as it's main cry (oftentimes sounding like bulbasaur). I don't see it brought up a lot here, so is anyone else having this issue?

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
i'm having the same thing with the animations, from what i've seen its mainly those that change stats, though i've also noticed the opponent version of sand attack points upwards not downwards

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 24, 2020
Am I the only one crashing when entering a battle in safari zone? This does not happen when debugging right into the map instead of crossing the gate.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Im having a issue i compressed my game and encrypt it using RPG Maker. and when i get past the start screen it gives me (Script 'SpriteWindow' line 1998: NoMethodError occurred. undefined method 'length' for nil:NilClass.)

I'm also having this issue, and it's preventing me from releasing a demo. How do I fix this?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
i'm having the same thing with the animations, from what i've seen its mainly those that change stats, though i've also noticed the opponent version of sand attack points upwards not downwards
I've also seen attack animations play way in the upper left of the screen instead of where they should, AND when I was doing an event and trying to have it show a graphic in the center of the screen, it did the same thing. "Center" seems to be misaligned.

Aaaaaaaaand my background music has been cutting out when I walk from one map to another for some reason. I'll just be walking (or running) along and as soon as I cross over into another map, no more BGM. It didn't initially do this and then it just started cutting out one day. I'm not sure if I did something to break it. I don't think so, but....
Music still works right if I use an event to go from one map to another. But as soon as I walk/run to another map... silence.

Last edited:

Tao

Years
  • Seen today
In version 12 in the Bug Contest the buttons "Pokémon" and "Ball" were reversed, this was changed in version 13, but now nothing happens when you click on Ball, it just count down the amount of Sport Balls.
I've looked in the scripts, but the PokemonBugContest script wasn't changed, so i can't find out what to do.
Can someone tell me how to repair this?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
In the Safari Zone, when you start any safari battle, the game crashes (a problem related to mega evolutions, it seems)

Code:
Message: undefined method `isMega?' for #<PokeBattle_FakeBattler:0x98aa5f0>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:748:in `refresh'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:651:in `initialize'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1886:in `new'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1886:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_SafariZone:101:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonSafari:114:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:113:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonSafari:115:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbSafariBattle'

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
When crossing a bridge, running pbBridgeOff makes every bridge tile (terrain tag 15) become transparent, which is really weird.

EDIT: The situation with the bridges is not as general as I previously reported. The problem only happens when one of the dimensions of the map is greater than 100 tiles.

I used route 2 as an exemple. The problem doesnt happen there, unless you increase the map's height to a value greater than 100 (120 in my exemple).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I've noticed that if I set a trainertype's pre-battle ME in the PBS file, and the battle begins while the ME is still playing, Essentials will stop playback of the ME and fail to load the battle BGM. This occurs both with midis and mp3s/wavs. If the ME is allowed to play all the way through before the battle begins, such that the regular BGM resumes playing, things will proceed as expected.

I'm not really sure why this occurs, but I can say for sure that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an encounter ME if it stops other music from playing unless it finishes first. Any suggestions?

Back