• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you name your Pokemon?

fy@x5

~
Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I usually don't nickname mine, unless I'm trading with somebody and I'll give them a horrible name like Cow-Dung... ^_^

But when I first played pokemon... my charmander was !!FIREpkmn!!J!

I was little... ^_^

Marcy_11

Metapod is hot
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2008
    I sometimes name my pokemon other pokemon names o.O eg

Charizard named Metapod

I also name them after my pets or just random animals

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I sometimes use the names of mythological creatures/people when naming my Pokemon. Ex: My Houndoom is nicknamed Cerberus, the three-headed hound of hades; my Mightyena is Fenrir, a legendary wolf from Viking folklore (I think. I only heard a few things about it, so...); and my Skuntank is Orion, the constellation of a huntsman depicted in folklore.

Other than those, I use some names that the Pokemon remind me of. Ex.: I've got a Ninetales called Victoria and a Floatzel called Amber (okay, they're both females).

shalashaska

ocelot
    Years
  • the only pokemon i have nicknamed is my miltank which i named......Moo Moo, i dont know why i just thought "i will call him......(cue close up) Moo Moo (cue evil music and slightly retarted laugh)" but normally i dont nickname my pokemon

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I either name my Pokémon after things that I've seen and found funny, (Fredburger the Tyranitar, Emo Monkey my future Infernape, Mustard the Weezing etc) some lame joke (for example Mie Tarzan the Starmie and my Pachirisu called Squirrelol) and sometimes I just go with a good sounding name with no particular meaning or a nickname with some Japanese word from my extremely limited vocabulary that describes the Pokémon. (Such as Aoimaru for my Lucario; aoi means blue.)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I just use random names that fit the pokemon in some way. Steelix is Chromo, Umbreon is moondust...blahblahblah. Sometimes I use totally random names that are more like jokes than anything else.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I haven't liked naming my Pokemon since what happened to my Silver version. The internal battery died so they died with these names:

Milly - Dragonite
    Reddy - shiny Gyarados
    Selma - Pidgeot
    Mick - Ho-Oh
    Mark - Lugia
    Mike - Feraligatr

I don't want to put any more of my Pokemon through the same trauma...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • For a long time, I used to name my Pokémon by their Japanese names. Then I named them names pertaining to their element or type (either English or Japanese names) and now I've turned to naming them after fandom characters or not at all.

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I just run through names that I think fit my Poke until I find the right one. Sometimes it takes very little time (My trademark Ludicolo named Ludicrous came to me in an instant), while others take me a long time (I left my DS in sleep mode in the Nickname rater's house all night, just so I could come up with the name Mushboom for my Breloom the next day. I still don't think it's that great, but it's the best I could come up with).

Lash

Years
  • There are multiple ways to name Pokemon for me;
    Usually, I either name them by their element, their opposite/weakness element, physical element, or I (literally) just throw something down the hall, and whatever sound it makes, theres a nickname.
    On rare occasions, I name a team after the first names of band members that I like xD;;

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I don't usually nickname my Pokemon, but when I do it's usually a name from Greek mythology that can relate to them. Like, naming a Lugia Poseidon (Neptune in Roman mythology) because Poseidon is the God of the Sea, like Lugia. Or naming a Machamp Atlas, since the Titan Atlas had to hold the world on his shoulders, and was really strong and all.

But I only named my Pokemon in LeafGreen, and that was a while back.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    when i do name pokemon, i take their name and swap round parts of it

e.g. : blaziken-zikenbla
    magikarp-karmagi
    chansey-seyhan

sometimes i take/add letters so they make more sence

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
  • Dragonite- Hyourinmaru (Bleach)
    Alakazam- Zangetsu (Bleach)
    Blissey- Angelus (Hmm...it's a skill in RO)
    Spiritomb- Magictomb (It saved my butt on wifi tons of times)
    Snorlax- Curselax (Lol, it gives away my strategy)
    Weavile- Genshuga (...Tenshou)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I name them by there Japanese names for most of them except for my favorites in which I make up names that re symbolize what they actually are but give them a Japanese name. Like for example Froslass I gave it the nickname Yukisuto or Drifblim Kuukaroon which is a mixture of air and balloon (since the Japanese don't use L they usualy subsitute it with a R)

:t354:TG

thundermew

Mew of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2014
    I just name them depending on the Pokemon they are, and their type

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • I name my pokemon depending on what attacks the never go down in one hit on (usually) like my L81 Sceptile Freya (FF9 Spear dude) because she never lets aerial ace stop her.

I also name Pokeon like skunter doesm nyth stuff, like my Drgonite named NIDHOGG, or my TYRANITAR Ragnarok.

Last edited:

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    I leik teh random names!

Alakazam- Sade(he just looks it!)

Salamence(Chompah)

Torterra(Grass rock)

Charizard

Gengar(Spookly)

Blissey(Lucky)