• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OS X Mavericks for free

Cordelia

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Now that's just a technicality. When we say something is $2000 in the US, it usually is $1,999. Besides, paying that much for a computer is just stupid.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Then that's not "$ 2.000+ USD".
    The Plus (+) in "$ 2.000+ USD" means, "$ 2.000 USD or higher, but nothing lower".

Don't forget sales tax. That will tack on an addtional ~$150

Now that's just a technicality. When we say something is $2000 in the US, it usually is $1,999. Besides, paying that much for a computer is just stupid.
    Your username is so ironic right now.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I think the main reason Apple are giving it away for free is the same reason they always update iOS7 for free - they're primarily making their money out of devices - Macbooks, iPhones, iPads etc. so they can afford to give it away for free. Plus, it keeps us happy and wanting more from them, and makes them look good - whilst with Windows its still possible to buy a PC with an older version (i.e. 7, which in this case isn't a bad thing but lets ignore that for a second), you'd have to pay £60 upwards for the latest version on top of the cost of your PC, Apple are basically saying "buy the computer and we'll look after you, kid".

Also, might I point out its possible to buy Windows devices for Apple prices, with similar specs? Apple just don't do the lower end of the market - Toshiba etc. when making their computers are the equivalent of Samsung, trying to fill every niche. Apple meanwhile is simply trying to conquer the top end. And carve out new niches, although they haven't really done that since the iPad.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Don't forget sales tax. That will tack on an addtional ~$150

Your username is so ironic right now.

My name has nothing to do with Apple ;-;

Actually, all prices are including 23% VAT (Value Added Tax) for the European prices.
    I don't know how it goes with American prices, though.

Our tax is added after, woohoo! It's dumb. We have no idea how much something REALLY is until checkout.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • That's because Taxes in the USA (let's be more specific now) differ per State, while in Europe, they differ per country.
    But still, we have 21% VAT, Germany has 19% VAT, Poland has 23% VAT, but no matter where we are, we still need to pay Irish VAT, because **** Logic.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • what I got:
    >free because they can afford to
    >makes them look good
    >yeah macs look pretty cool but are they really

It's cool, because I get to get the newest versions (more of because eventually 10.5 will get too old than "I GOt thE NEW THING GUYS) and if somebody complains about incompatibility I get to say "it's free dude!" idek though. I downloaded it anyways, because by the time I upgraded last time to 10.6 everything was already for 10.8 lol so I want that to not happen again.

But from my point of view, it's simply just that somebody could make a decision and they exercised that power for some reason and they decided to make the new OS free. I have no idea, and nothing has been going too terribly wrong, so I guess it's a way to get back a hypothetical $30 that they got from the $2100 iMac. Yay rebates!
    Our tax is added after, woohoo! It's dumb. We have no idea how much something REALLY is until checkout.
    pff gurrrrl capitalism for the win

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • I work in a school that uses Apple devices. And I am certain the reason why Mavericks is free is because they are also including their newest version of the iWork office suite (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) for free with Mavericks. This new version of iWork includes integration for iWork with iCloud which appears to integrate well with iOS 7 devices (which coincidentially the iOS versions of iWork are also free now!!)

i.e. they want a chunk of what Google is doing with their free Google Docs/Drive online collaboration suite. Log into your iCloud account on the web at www.icloud.com and you will see what I mean.

Back