• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some things to consider when writing a trainer fic.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Um... AE, Ranger O'Brien was making a point about evil teams. (As in Team Rocket, Team Magma, etc.) Not Pokemon teams. (Besides, how could a Pokemon team be 'canonical', unless you were copying that of someone from the series?) *Sweatdrop*

Yamato, agreeing with you on the whole "animal-style works well too" bit, even if I find it more interesting to juggle multiple characters.

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Yamato-san, have "common sense" and watch the language-- I believe you should know how to argue maturely.

I'm just a crude person, maturity has little to do with it (as a matter of fact, some would argue that I'm among the more intelligent users on the forums I go to... for that matter, are you trying to deny the quality of my post just because a few particular words were used somewhat sparingly?). But if you've got a problem with asterisked profanity (and looking over this place's local rules again, it seems you do), I'll stop. One question, though: why so long to reply? I know you have a life and other forums to mod, but... honestly, this place has been dead for like two weeks now, and for a good part of it, my post (which, just so everyone knows, doesn't have an accurate date because I recently deleted it to include the edit while still getting bumped) was kinda sticking out as the "Last Post" for the entire Writer's Lounge (even the whole fanfic forum for a while), and only when other people finally start to reply does it get noticed?

This one always annoyed me. I mean the "let's use super-creative nickname!" aspect. Depending on your character's age, or what culture you stick into the world, they aren't going to know random words for "plant" in random language. (If you think about it, it's the basics that come up first for a language. Like greetings, unless you specifically look up the word. Or have been speaking the language for years.) As a ten-year-old kid, unless they have a wide knowledge, they are going to call their Pikachu "Sparky". (Didn't Red from Special call his Pikachu "Pika"?)

one thing that shouldn't be forgotten: while the franchise has been heavily Americanized in the localization, the Pokemon world at heart seems to have a lot of its basis from Japan. In other words, certain words and names that sound foreign to us would be normal to them. Subsequently, some words and names that're normal to usewould be foreign to them (though, probably not as severe.... English is pretty well-implemented into Japanese culture, and Western names are used quite a bit in the media, namely in RPGs). It's probably also worth noting that Japan, as a culture, is derived from several other cultures in mainland Asia, with some heavy Westernization added to the mix for the past 1.5 centuries. Students are usually (and somewhat accurately, so far as I'm aware) portrayed as being very studious as well, so a ten year old may know a few things about anthropology. They could also choose a name by knowing different methods to read a kanji symbol, if not combining multiple kanji (alternatively, they do like to abuse teh Engrish ^^).

I guess what I'm saying is: given Pokemon's setting, it is quite possible to have a more complicated name (at least to a westerner) while still making it believable for the character. Though, it does help to do research.... assuming you wanted to base your fic more around the non-Americanized aspect of the franchise, you gotta remember that some names in their language would be just as dull, if not bad, as names in our language. One common and seemingly simple Japanese naming convention is to end a name with "suke", "rou", or "bou" (I think) for masculine, and "ko", "mi", or "rin" (I think) for feminine, among others (these endings are common among human names, too). Several nicknames for Pokemon (which can be seen in the Japanese versions of the games in cases such as in-game trades), and even other RPG monsters like Dragon Quest's Slime, usually involve taking the first kana or two from the species name and adding such an ending to it. Ex. Pikachu becomes "Pikasuke", and a Slime that can join you in Dragon Quest V is named "Surarin" (derived from "Suraimu" and the aforementioned "rin"). They could also use the first kana or two (or even the whole species name) and just add "chan" or "kun" to the end. Stuff like this would be very workable if a character is particularly childish.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Um... AE, Ranger O'Brien was making a point about evil teams. (As in Team Rocket, Team Magma, etc.) Not Pokemon teams. (Besides, how could a Pokemon team be 'canonical', unless you were copying that of someone from the series?) *Sweatdrop*

Lawl, I'm such a ditz. *Facepan* That's what I get for my late-night rants. xD Right, I'll just delete that post since it's basically redundant. =O

On the nicknames thing: Well, you've established possibility for complicated words, Yamato-san, but that doesn't equal necessity. If the character in question isn't a studious type/language geek (Like, for instance, Red sure as heck isn't) then cheesy nicknames make perfect sense. I'd also like to point out Yellow from pokéspecial here, who nicknamed all her pokémon by replacing the end of the species name with 'y' (Gravy, Omny, Dody, etc.). Still being a kid, it makes sense that she'd go for a simple naming practice. Sure, they're generic as heck, but a lot of people give names like that anyway (This brings to mind a certain fanfic wherein a character named his Hoothoot Nigel. xD); I see no reason why every RP character should have to be a nicknaming genius (Heck, there's a lot to be said for picking on the lame nicknames that characters give); as long as it's a conscious choice of lameness it's all good. Plus, the random Japanese naming in English narrative is a pretty overused technique as well. For instance, random grass pokémon named 'Hana' aren't really much of an improvement from Umbreons named 'Shadow'; it's just switching the genericness to a different language so it doesn't stick out as badly. xP

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
mind you, I wasn't saying those naming conventions were completely flawed, as I did acknowledge that they're workable in some situations (like my example of a particularly childish character). I was just pointing out, to those people who just wanna use Japanese names to sound cool, that they should consider some things over there are just as unoriginal as ending a name with "y" and thus proper research should be taken.

On the nicknames thing: Well, you've established possibility for complicated words, Yamato-san, but that doesn't equal necessity. If the character in question isn't a studious type/language geek (Like, for instance, Red sure as heck isn't) then cheesy nicknames make perfect sense. I'd also like to point out Yellow from pokéspecial here, who nicknamed all her pokémon by replacing the end of the species name with 'y' (Gravy, Omny, Dody, etc.). Still being a kid, it makes sense that she'd go for a simple naming practice.

those are the names she uses in the Viz/Chuang Yi version. In the Japanese version, her Pokemon's names are Chuchu (Pikachu), Racchan (Ratta), Omusuke (Omstar), Gorosuke (Goronya), Dodosuke (Dodrio), and Piisuke (Butterfree; originally a Caterpie), thus proving my point from earlier.

Alter Ego said:
Plus, the random Japanese naming in English narrativei s a pretty overused technique as well. For instance, random grass pokémon named 'Hana' aren't really much of an improvement from Umbreons named 'Shadow'; it's just switching the genericness to a different language so it doesn't stick out as badly. xP

well what do you expect? It is based off of a Japanese franchise, and one which seems somewhat significantly influenced by the culture at that (rather than, say, a JRPG with a clearly European-style setting). Plus, as I said before, it was heavily Americanized in the localization, thus there were a ton of traditional Japanese names originally, and some fans, such as myself, will choose to stick with those original names. Even if some fic-writers do prefer the dub names, there're still quite a few of those who will nonetheless try to emphasize the fact that their fic takes place in Japan (seeing as the Pokemon regions are actually based off of Japan). Simply put, it is used quite a bit, but it's perfectly understandable.

Also, the way you described the usage of "Hana".... if they used it for a grass-type that isn't flowering, or doesn't even seem very pretty or feminine (or maybe you have the Trainer, whom you're seemingly emphasizing as being Japanese, suddenly forget what the word means), again, that shows poor research. Also, even if you did want to portray a Japanese character, given what I said about their western influence, there's nothing saying they can't use western names in combination with eastern ones (or even all western names), so "Shadow" would be perfectly fine.

Lastly, even though I was pointing out that a 10-year might know more about naming that we initially think, my advice is mainly targeted at those who focus on Pokemon's heritage, or even those who think any random Japanese name is cool.

-Jinx-

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I totally agree with number five though, I hate nicknames with a passion - I would go so far as to say don't give your Pokemon a nickname at all. :P Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

Think of it this way. My Tabby Cats name is not Tabby Cat and my German Shepards name is not German Shepard. Why would you call a Pikachu, Pikachu?

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
Years

Think of it this way. My Tabby Cats name is not Tabby Cat and my German Shepards name is not German Shepard. Why would you call a Pikachu, Pikachu?

Because an animal is not a pokemon. They are very different, and if there is canonical proof, i.e. that it's generally used, one would think that they would tolerate it, as they are at the very least pseudo-sentient beings.

Another way of putting it: why would you call a elm tree Bob if everybody else called it an elm tree?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Another way of putting it: why would you call a elm tree Bob if everybody else called it an elm tree?
Because every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name! *shot ninety million times*

It is obvious that Pokemon can accept being called by generic species name. Take a look at Meowth, who seems to have a better knowledge of the human world than other Pokemon. He's perfectly fine being called "Meowth", and doesn't cry for equality.

Ah, and Yamato-san's post reminded me of more research I need to do for another fic I'm writing.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I think it all comes down to the character. The Taillow in my fic (who had a name which wasn't a nickname) refused to be called a "Taillow" because he found it insulting. While other pokemon (who also have names) would rather be called by their species names.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
More of a cliche than anything, it still remains an anomaly to this very day (as shown by posts on various sites, including here).

The Inverse Fic/Anime Irony

The amount of complaining you get about a Trainer Fic is inversely proportionate to how much they like the Anime. The more they like the Anime, the more they complain about an OT Fic. The reverse also applies. If they don't like the Anime, chances are you'll never hear from them, even though your view count still continues to increase.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The reason behind that, I believe, is due to the fact that most OT fics follow the same plot formula of the anime. Those who have watched the anime since its beginning recognize quickly the same qualities between fic and show.

So those who like the anime read the fics and say that the fic follows the anime too closely. Those who hate the anime read the fic and find that the fic follows the anime, and furiously hit the back button. So views increase, but reviews don't, except from those vocal enough to complain/provide concrit.

I'm not saying that all OT fics follow the plot of the anime, even when written in the anime canon. (Mine is an example of this, though you can't see it.) It's just that the beginners who tend to give OT fics a try, and are "weak" writers, either follow the game canon too closely, or the anime canon. Since these fics are a dime a dozen, the general populace of forum goers hate OT fics. It's just another label the OT genre of Pokemon fiction has received. This stretches on to other fandoms as well.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Just the Japanese culture in general. Your post talking about the Japanese nicknames reminded me of just how little I actually know of Japanese culture. So since I am writing a fic that does take place in Japan, it all just reminded me that I had to do more research so I don't get something wrong.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
The reason behind that, I believe, is due to the fact that most OT fics follow the same plot formula of the anime. Those who have watched the anime since its beginning recognize quickly the same qualities between fic and show.

You're completely right. 9 out of 10 OT fics are exactly the same, as in following the anime (and the games).

I'm not saying that all OT fics follow the plot of the anime, even when written in the anime canon. (Mine is an example of this, though you can't see it.) It's just that the beginners who tend to give OT fics a try, and are "weak" writers, either follow the game canon too closely, or the anime canon. Since these fics are a dime a dozen, the general populace of forum goers hate OT fics. It's just another label the OT genre of Pokemon fiction has received. This stretches on to other fandoms as well.

OT is probably my favorite genre of Pokemon Fan Fiction, and it's unfortunate that it has been given such a bad reputation. When done right, an OT fic can be a good fic to read and to write. When done wrong, OT fics are more "Not another one!".

Back