• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Saving your Masterball for no reason

Tycen

Pokémon Professor
Years
Anyone here ever just keep their Master ball, and never use it? Even when completing your Pokédex?
Mewtwo was rather easy catching with a Ultra ball. All I did was freeze him, and presto! He was mine >:D
I tend to always save my masterball, and never use it. Keep it as a memento, on how I could've easily done something. Fighting for what you want, though, is always the better choice for me.
What about you? Do you like keeping your Masterball safe and sound?

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I don't use master ball unless its for a shiny, especially when my Pokemon are too strong for the shiny, and if I attack it, it might faint in one hit (exactly what I did with my shiny Mienfoo).

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I never use my masterball since I know it'll be possible to catch any Pokemon, the only reason I'd use it if I was in a certain situation that was mentioned before (Shiny Pokemon that could get away). The only 'normal' Pokemon I'd use it on is Mewtwo, it suits that Pokemon very well and reminds me of the Manga.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I save my Master Ball, not just for nothing, but for that special once-in-a-lifetime or precioussss shiny Pokemon that might escape my clutches by Explosion or Self-Destruct. The Master Ball is reserved for only that purpose and that purpose only. Legendary Pokemon can be caught with normal Ultra or Dusk Balls; it does not need that ultimate capture rate. Where's the challenge in that?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I never use it, saving it for the rather unlikely case that say I see a shiny that could run off/kill itself. After all if I can catch the legendaries with a bit of effort then it doesn't seem too necessary to use up the one master ball on one of them to me. Plus it feels more worth it than just starting the battle and catching it a moment later. How else will I get angry while nice music plays? =p

B-L-A-Z-E

リズ
Years
Even though I've yet to do it, I usually save my master ball for a soft reset legendary. Other than that, I'd never use it unless, I had no other poke balls to catch a random shiny(which rarely happens).

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I usually catch the legendaries with Ultra Balls, even if some seem to take forever...
The Master Ball i've always saved up for the day i finally encounter a shiny...which has never been the case

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i catch all my legendaries with normal pokeballs so the masterball has really never been important to me. i have like, four sitting around on my black 2. 2 from in game, 1 from black, and 1 from the lottery. i've tried trading legendaries holding them for shinies but it rarely works. now i just keep hold of them in case i run into a self destructing shiny.

Tycen

Pokémon Professor
Years
Thanks for the responses guys. Its nice to see how many people don't... "cheat" and save the masterball.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
I think in the past few years, I've only ever used a Masterball once, and that was on a ROM hack with a Dark Lugia only catchable with a Mastarball, so kind of justified, there...

Using the Masterball in general just makes the whole thing kind of anti-climactic, I find. A battle that's meant to be a definitive part of the game, over pretty much as soon as it begins. Just doesn't seem right, really. Imagine going into facing the Pokémon League champion, only to find after this whole build-up that they are armed only with a level three Magikarp, or something... Except it isn't anywhere near as funny as that would be. Buzzkill.

Years
Just like quite a few others have said, I've always saved up my Master Ball for a shiny Pokemon, just so I could nab it right away without any worries (so far all I've gotten is a Shiny Ducklett). Other than that, I just use something like a Dusk Ball on legendaries, since they're pretty easy to get as long as you have some patience.

Years
I often save up my Master Ball for a Legendary that I know will be troublesome to catch, like when I used it on Kyurem in Black 2.

Since I almost always never find a shiny most of the time I don't usually save it for them.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually use them for a roamer, but if I have no intentions of catching the roamer of the game, I just trade the Master Ball over to my storage game when I trade in my team. Nice to have them in the case of a random shiny and you're ridiculous over or under leveled or something.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I never use the Masterball. I just keep saving it.... "just in case". In case of what, I can't imagine. I just feel like I would rather have the option to use it than not have the option, even if I never use that option.

This is also a bad habit that applies to my normal life haha.

Sirfetch’d

Usually save it for a roamer or a really rare shiny encounter.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yes - I pretty much save it for no reason.
I guess it's in case I....
No - it's really for no particular reason. I don't deliberately not use it or anything like that - I catch whatever I catch in whatever I catch it in. I just can't quite bring myself to use the one and only Masterball, just because if I use it, it won't be there if I want to use it.

Back