• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help on the DS Touchscreen: Won't touch where I touch

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Erm... I have a problem with my DS... it's hard to explain, but... MY TOUCHSCREEN DOESN'T WORK!!!... well, actually, it does. But it doesn't work properly. You see when I touch things (with the Stylus or not), the DS reads it as clicking something slightly above where I click. See this stupid diagram I made up. The dot's are the screen, and the x is where I touch.

................x.................

Now look what the DS thinks I've pressed:

................x.................

Do you see the problem? It thinks I touch somewhere above where I actually press. Anyone got a solution, or do I have to just endure it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I've had this problem before. First try to recalibrate your screen. If that doesn't work than call up Nintendo. Depending on how long you've had it for they'll replace it for you.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • System settings, far right. :] Click the DS icon when you start up the system. (If your system is set to boot to a game automatically, make sure the DS slots are empty before you start it.)

As for calling Nintendo, look on their site for a local number if you need to.

Cherrim

Years
  • You just do it the one time. It'll ask you to touch your stylus to certain points on the screen and it'll automatically be calibrated. It takes like 10 seconds tops. o_o

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    It's easy:

Press the DS Icon when you start up, it's in the center middle.

Press the Icon with the square that looks like an aim from a .50 Caliber Sniper.

Touch those aims where it asks you to.

Your done, if it doesn't work, call Nintendo. If they say the exact same thing even if you said you already tried that, they're idiots.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    You just do it the one time. It'll ask you to touch your stylus to certain points on the screen and it'll automatically be calibrated. It takes like 10 seconds tops. o_o
    I kept pressing the thing with the stylus, it isn't working, the dot moves when I press the screen. That's all. After ten MINUTES of trying I gave up. It's doesn't callibrate for some reason.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • no, no, no. it's supposed to move when you touch it. just keep touching it ti'll it says "Calibration complete, touch the screen to test the calibration"

If it still does that, call Nintendo. and make sure you tell them you tried this.

Cherrim

Years
  • I kept pressing the thing with the stylus, it isn't working, the dot moves when I press the screen. That's all. After ten MINUTES of trying I gave up. It's doesn't callibrate for some reason.
    You mean every time the point moves, you keep pressing it in its new spot and it won't calibrate?

Sounds like something is wrong then.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I had a similar problem with mine a long time ago. If you can't get it to recalibrate back to normal, when you send it to Nintendo, they'll replace the entire touch screen. I don't think it's exactly cheap to replace one, but if you're under warranty still, it'll be covered.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    No, you get a new DS. WIthout warranty, it's $80. I'll just wait for DSi.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I kept pressing the thing with the stylus, it isn't working, the dot moves when I press the screen. That's all. After ten MINUTES of trying I gave up. It's doesn't callibrate for some reason.

The dots are supposed to move.

Just keep lightly touching (with the stylus of course) each dot after it moves, and after doing this about 5 times, it should say that calibration is finished and it'll ask you to see if it has really been calibrated. Drag the stylus over the four static dots to see if they respond correctly.

If they all seem to be responding correctly, then you've calibrated it correctly.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    FOR THE LOVE OF- I know it's supposed to move! You're the one who's retarted whoever de-repped me. Read my post properly. I know the dot is supposed to move, I click where the dot is and it moves again. I click there. It moves agian. I click it there. It moves. After half an hour of clicking it where it moves to, it doesn't work. I search on the internet to see if it works and if I'm doing it right. They do exactly what I do and it works after 4 seconds...

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Careful, don't call de-reppers retarded. I wasn't me but keep your temper and try to understand.

Your only option is to contact Nintendo. Chances are your DS is

House Broken

...Ok, sorry, *shot*

Years
  • I kept pressing the thing with the stylus, it isn't working, the dot moves when I press the screen. That's all. After ten MINUTES of trying I gave up. It's doesn't callibrate for some reason.
    I know your problem. Everyone else can get the same effect if they tap somewhere completely random on their DS screen during calibration.

You see, you touch screen is so miscalibrated that the DS thinks your some 8 year old fooling around.

And did you get into settings using the DPad?

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    @SkyPioneer: Well... that sounds bad. Does this mean that I can't fix it? Darn my DS. One day it was working fine then the next day it was clicking in the wrong direction...

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Hm, do you still have warranty on your DS? Because if you do, it would be wise to contact Nintendo directly, or to take it back to the dealer and ask for some advice.
    However if the warranty has expired, there isn't really anything you can do without buying something and a touch screen is going to cost a fair bit.
    You may be better of buying a new one if it cannot be repaired under warranty or of a reasonably cheap price.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    All I know is that your DS may be bricked, but if it's working, call Nintendo

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    You know what, since it won't re-callibrate I'll just keep using the DS controls like a GameBoy.

Back