• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overhyped Pokemon?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • So, what pokemon would yo say is too overhyped, too over used, and everything else that begins with the prefix "-over"? Do you like pokemon that are too overhyped? Can you think of a way to unpopularize that particular pokemon?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Heh, Probably Pikachu. Every time I mention that I like Pokémon to someone they tell me they love Pikachu, usually not too keen on the whole franchise - just seen a few episodes from the anime...

But yeah - Pikachu.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'd agree with the above poster really, Pikachu always got on my nerves a little bit. I assume that, as Ash's sidekick, it gets automatic popularity. Pokémon Yellow Version really doesn't help here, lol.

Also Charizard. There seems to be a correlation between the Pokémon making big appearances in the Anime and Pokémon being overhyped...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Lucario. 8/ It got a whole movie to itself and a slight plotline in the games (well, okay, Riolu comes from an egg you get... but eggs from NPCs are special!) and I find it wholly uninteresting. It's become less popular over time, especially now with Zoroark settling nicely into its place.

Pikachu is overhyped too but I'm absolutely fine with that because the more people who know it, the better. :P Means more publicity for the Pokémon franchise which it could probably use out west here.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Arcanine and Gyarados, for me. They're always regarded as brilliant battlers and yet I really don't care one jot about either of them. In the case of the former, it just feels boring: it's a fiery dog-thing that's supposed to be regal and elegant but comes across as arrogant. In the latter, my prejudice comes from the pre-Physical/Special split when Gyarados' attack reduced its effect. It's probably better nowadays, but I still have a bias against it from the olden days.

Years
  • Let's try to find something other than the obvious ones [Pikachu (Pichu is a big offender too), Starters (usually first and third form), Lucario (should die in a fire), Legendaries (especially the mascot ones)]... the Pidgey line. There's not really a lot they are good at, they have some of the more boring designs, yet people seem to love them.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • Agreeing with everyone above but mentioning pseudo-legendaries. Especially Hydreigon (I have no idea how to spell it) it was WAY overhyped from the beginning.

Nilz

renegade of funk.
    Years
  • Haxorus was pretty overhyped on wifi, everyone thought it would be better than Garchomp but it turned out to be pretty mediocre.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Pretty much every pseudo-legendary is overhyped for their sheer power in battle. Honorable mentions go to Pikachu, Lucario and Zoroark.

Years
  • basically all dragon pokemon, and gyarados and lucario.
    as for pikachu and arcanine, well i like them, but thats purely based on their designs.

i wouldnt say the eeveelutions are over-hyped, they are just that awesome.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Lucario. Just because this guy have his own movie that doesn't make it a uberhaxxed pokemon. I'm actually pissed how post E4 Bruno in HGSS got a Lucario.

The same goes for Zoruark. I can imagine it being in Sidney team for RSE remake.

Pikachu is surely the overhyped of all. But it is the mascot of pokemon so one can expected that.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Lucario hands down. I can't even count how many usernames I have seen with Lucario in it. Lucario is a good pokemon but really this guy gets way too much love. Mewtwo needs more hype!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Pikachu is very overused. And almost every starter out there. Why? Well almost any trainer keeps their starter to the whole journey and others do the same. That is just my own opinion, though, don't flame me because you don't like my opinion.

Back