• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Drinking Age - 18 or 21?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
While I do believe in States' Rights (and the fact that they can stump Federal laws), I also believe in individual Rights. While alcohol CAN be dangerous, it only is if you ALLOW it to be. Use you head for other something then a hat rack. Know your limitations and the consequences of not only intaking too much, but also of your actions. If you plan on drinking, do it somewhere safe. As far as underage (in my case, if you're under 18), it should be allowed, BUT under the watchful eye of a responsible adult and to keep it to a minimum (such as 2 beers max a night, but no more then 6 in a week's period). The reason for prohibition of drugs and alcohol is nothing more then CONTROL over the People. Who's the government to say what you can and connot put into your body? They have no authority over such a claim.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Legality based on some arbitrary number won't really solve any problems. Age doesn't determine maturity, and people set on drinking will find their way to do so.

On a societal level, I think we should stop making alcohol seem like the crux of parties and having fun -- it's not necessary to one's social life but we certainly make it out to be that way. Like sex, you push this enough in the faces of our youth, they're going to want to do it. We need to stop glorifying it.

On a governmental level, I actually think there should be some exam you'd have to pass before you should be allowed to drink. It might sound a little silly, but think about it: alcohol has the same potential of danger as driving or wielding a gun, and we have licenses for those. There ought to be some way to determine responsibility considering how dangerous its effects can be.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
Legality based on some arbitrary number won't really solve any problems. Age doesn't determine maturity, and people set on drinking will find their way to do so.

On a societal level, I think we should stop making alcohol seem like the crux of parties and having fun -- it's not necessary to one's social life but we certainly make it out to be that way. Like sex, you push this enough in the faces of our youth, they're going to want to do it. We need to stop glorifying it.

On a governmental level, I actually think there should be some exam you'd have to pass before you should be allowed to drink. It might sound a little silly, but think about it: alcohol has the same potential of danger as driving or wielding a gun, and we have licenses for those. There ought to be some way to determine responsibility considering how dangerous its effects can be.

While I do agree with you on age not determining maturity, I do believe there should be some limitations if such product can be harmful to a growing brain. With that said, maturity and common sense go hand-in-hand and one should be educated in the things they're involved in whether its alcohol, guns, vehicles or any other machinery. You don't just hop on a bike and start pedaling without knowing how to balance first, do you? No law, no license, no statute, no policy, etc should infringe one the Individual's Rights. Just because there's one idiot doesn't mean the responsible should suffer. (for the record, not calling you an idiot, just making a general statement.)

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
Honestly, I find the debate a bit pointless. We got to live with what we have and it is unlikely the states will change the drinking age. All the states reached consensus with the drinking age to be at 21 is because of FEDERAL GRANTS.

The national government gives money to the states if they meet certain cross-cutting requirements, and having a drinking age of 21 is just one of the many requirements. Sure, the states can change the drinking age to whatever age they wish, however it is unlikely they will change it. States need money and that money has to come from somewhere doesn't it?

Years
I don't think there should be a minimum age. If young children try it due to the lack of a "forbidden" appeal, they'll generally get sick and never be interested further. (This is more or less what happened to Shaquille O'Neal.)

Years
My country (Belgium, West Europe) is one of the few countries where smoking tobaco and drinking alcohol is allowed at the age of 16. Statistics don't show any specific bad signs. The only difference is that teens in my country will probably have been wasted earlier in their life.

One pro is that we can drive a car at 18, which means you're assumed to know the consequenses of alcohol a bit by then. So you won't get drunk the first time when you're driving.

Alcohol addictions are mostly linked with emotional issues. Allthough I think that most kids/teens drink too much these days, it's mostly a (stupid) phase.

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Apr 4, 2014
If you are old enough to drive a car AND Join the army, You are old enough for a propper beer.
In Norway that is 18.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
I've noticed that most of the people who say 18 drink in moderation or have drunk in the past before, whereas those who say 21 have not.

Coincidence?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2014
I think it doesn't even matter how old are you.
All what matter is what you want to be if you want to be a drinker so go and drink whatever you want.
In the life it doesn't matter how old are you or what people think about you all that matter is what do you want to be, you want to be.
If you think drinking is good : DRINK.

Back