• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Friend code and wifi

Years
  • I've spent literally the whole day trying to connect to the internet to trade from my HG game to Pearl. I've gotten the ds connected to the internet, and I've gotten an access point, but when I try to connect to the access point it says: "The access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS. For help, please visit support.nintendo.com"
    What do I have to do? I went to the nintendo website but it's no help to me. Is there something wrong with the router I have or something?

Last edited:
    Years
  • You cannot use any form of WPA encryption on your router with the Nintendo DS Lite or lower.. however while the DSi can support WEP and WPA encryption, the WPA encryptions will not work with legacy games such as Diamond and Pearl. Sorry :(

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
  • Like Zach said above, your router is probably using a WPA encryption, which original DS games cannot access (such as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, etc.)

You're going to need to switch the security settings on your router to WEP (from WPA, which is probably what you have now). You'll also probably need to disable your router's firewall. This is exactly what I had to do so I could connect to Wifi on my Diamond version. Honestly, though, the process is pretty lengthy and can be confusing to any average user (like me). What I did was call Nintendo so they could guide me through the process and it took about 20 minutes or so for me to be able to connect. I suggest doing that if you want to be sure you're doing everything right.

If not, I found this guide online, but I haven't tried this or anything, so I still suggest calling Nintendo about the problem, and if you do decide to call them, tell them that you cannot connect to Wifi on your DS because your router is WPA encrypted. They'll be more than happy to help. Regardless, here are the instructions I found:

First you need to find the IP address of your router:
    1) Start > Run
    2) Type in "cmd" press enter
    3) Type in "ipconfig"
    4) The "Default Gateway" is the IP of your router

Accessing your router:
    1) Go to your internet browser and type in the IP address of your router
    2) The login info is always different between routers. If you've never accessed it before it could be:
    username: admin
    password: could be "password" or "admin"
    3) Go the wireless section then wireless security.
    4) You should be able to change from WPA to WEP

Good luck, and hopefully all goes well. :)

Last edited:
    Back