• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A demand for help with descriptions...

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    Well... I have a big problem with describing what a scene looks like. It seems like I can see the scene in my head, but I horribly stink at putting that scene down in words. Usually, I simply mention the details I am capable of describing, and hope the reader would be able to see the decor just as I would, which I honestly think is a big mistake.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to word my mental scenes better on the blank page? Thanks in advance.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • You first have to start with the recognition that the reader will never see what you see. It's not because you're a bad writer, but because you are a writer. A movie director or an animator can afford to think like this more, but as a writer, you cannot expect to put your mental scene onto the page. What is important is that you focus on the key elements of what you want the reader to see.

I recently quoted Stephen King, and I think that it would be appropriate to do so again:

If I tell you that Carrie White is a high school outcast with a bad complexion and a fashion-victim wardrobe, I think you can do the rest, can't you? I don't need to give you a pimple-by-pimple, skirt-by-skirt rundown. We all remember one or more high school losers, after all; if I describe mine, it freezes out yours, and I lose a little bit of the bond of understanding I want to forge between us.

Essentially, for the bits that you do want to convey, it's a matter of reading and practice. Carefully read over scenes which have description styles you want to emulate, and then practice over and over again. I know it's kind of cheesy, but it is a matter of finding your style, getting feedback from others to see if it's having the effect you intended, and then improving.

Back