• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quitting

bolmy

That guy.
Years
  • So. After 6 months (ish) of fairly heavy smoking, I've decided to quit. Frankly, it's fairly hard at the moment. Most of my friends smoke (and not merely tobacco either, which was also one of my reasons for quitting. Memory loss sucks) and offer me cigarettes all the time. The other reasons are pretty much since I began smoking, my life has gone south. Fast. I attribute it as a large factor to that, so I'm cleaning myself up and sorting my life out. Plus, I'm training to do the Mt Snowdon Marathon on October.

But today I went out with a friend who offered me a smoke, and I managed to decline. I also declined the more special kind over the weekend.

Look at me, I'm growing up. Basically this thread will chronicle my efforts to stay smoke free over the next month or so until the addiction leaves.

Edit

iRawr

Poli?
    Years
    • Uk
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Awesome thats great to hear keep it up :P
    Its hard but its defently worth it... :paranoid:

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Declining a smoke is harder then you might think. Just would like to congratulate you on that.

It's a smart move, quitting I mean. Smoking is responsible for most of the lung cancers we hear about, and can result in other diseases. Quitting is smart, but you really are gonna half to dedicate yourself to it. Are you having any aid at all? Such as a nicotine pack, etc? Anywho, a good start is half the battle. You have a long way to go, but if you believe, you'll be able to make it. Good luck.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • You did a smart move there. It's something that will change you're life forever.

It is hard to decline and smoke and stay away from it when you just started quitting. Good job. ; )

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    I salute you. And I hope you get through it. Good luck. =)

bolmy

That guy.
    Years
  • I'm going cold turkey. No patches or anything. I have a ridiculously strong will when it comes to certain things, and I have support from my best friend to keep me going.
    I've made a decision that whenever I get a craving, I'm going to write. Admittedly I imagine my writing to be along the lines of "Nicotine nicotine nicotine" but eventually.

Thanks for the support everyone :)

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • I know someone who quit it by himself, after a while it will be no longer a temptation. That's sad to see young people getting incredibly drunk/stoned, really, but it makes me happy to see someone quitting.

Years
  • Good on you. I hope you can quit permanently.

The training you're doing should be a big help, too, since exercise releases endorphins and if you're training with other people they should also be supportive.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Good job! Do keep us updated with progress.

Apparently, most people take five tries to stop completely on average.

Let's see you bring this average statistic down to four :P (or one, in your case)

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    thats fantastic! (and im not trying to sound sarcastic ;] )
    smoking is bad for your health, so its good your deciding to quit. my uncle recently stopped smoking, and it was a long path, but he overcame it. i wish you good luck ^^

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Yes, keep up the good work! You can do it!

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • Congratulations on quitting.

Not that I condone smoking, or anything (scram youngsters!) however, I have great willpower and have been able to refrain from smoking... After having smoked several times in the past. I'll still smoke cigarettes on occasion... But, it doesn't really phase me. There's no addiction.

The only time I really ever smoked was for some of the flavored stuff... But then Obama came along and decided to form a monopoly with Phillip Morris, under the beard that "little kids get into smoking because cigarettes taste like cherry! Yum!"

Yeah... I totally know a lot of kids who got into smoking... not because they just wanted to try it... but, no no, cause it tasted like cherry!
    ...I'm quite sure kids would get beatup for that these days.

"Hey man, got a cig?"
    "Here you go."
    "Awww man! It's not cherry!?"
    "wut?"

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    It's a great start congratulations on your achievement. I've tried to help my grandma like three times and she still hasn't quit,oddly enough she's still standing after nearly thirty years of smoking.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good to hear you stopped smoking, and declined the offer when your friend asked you to smoke. Keep it up. Smoking isn't worth losing your life over.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
    Years
  • Well I Wish You Luck If You Can't Stop smoking Cold Turkey I Know a few people who quit by only smoking outside and if it is as cold as it is here you will cut down alot then eventually quit

Back