• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tolkien Poem "The Fall of Arthur" Acquired by Publisher, Release Date: May 2013

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    HarperCollins has announced the acquisition of Tolkien's never-before-published poem The Fall of Arthur, which will be released for the first time next May. Running to more than 200 pages, Tolkien's story was inspired by Geoffrey of Monmouth and Thomas Malory's tales of King Arthur, and is told in narrative verse. Set in the last days of Arthur's reign, the poem sees Tolkien tackling the old king's battle to save his country from Mordred the usurper, opening as Arthur and Gawain go to war.

Source: The Guardian

If you don't feel like clicking the source, it also has the opening lines of the poem:

Arthur eastward in arms purposed
    his war to wage on the wild marches,
    over seas sailing to Saxon lands,
    from the Roman realm ruin defending.
    Thus the tides of time to turn backward
    and the heathen to humble, his hope urged him,
    that with harrying ships they should hunt no more
    on the shining shores and shallow waters
    of South Britain, booty seeking.

---

SO MUCH ALLITERATION. Anyway, thoughts? Something you would be interested in?

Years
  • I'm counting the days before someone decides to make a movie out of it, then 2 movies, then 3.

Over than 200 pages? Jeez, that's long. But I guess that's epic poetry for you. I'd read Beowulf not too long ago, and it was fine, but I don't think it was nearly half as long as this is going to be. And I dunno, this seems like it's gonna be long winded.

But my LotRs obsessed friend is probably already drooling over this news. I'm sure I can borrow it sometime if I get interested.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Tolkien? This is probably from at least 60 years ago. Surprised they didn't try to acquire this back in 2003 when LOTR was big with the movies and all.

Not sure if I'm going to read it. Never been overly fond of epic poems. I typically avoid writing poems that are over a page long, because that just gets too dense. I tend to read the same kinds of things that I like writing... but this might intrigue me, even though I haven't read any Tolkien (I'm not that big of an epic fantasy buff, to be honest). VERY intriguing though...

Back