• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why pikachu so strong?

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
  • pikachu in the anime its so strong, why?
    actually in the game, pikachu not strong, they stat under 400
    inthe anime ash's pikachu cute,friendlyand strong andhave good move like volt tackle,iron tail,thunder.
    maybe its make pikachu inthe anime so strong. ^^

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
    Years
  • Well, Professor Oak, when giving Ash the Pikachu, told him that there was something different (or wrong, I can't remember) about his Pikachu, and Ash later found out that his Pikachu is different due to its immense strength.

Pikapia

The One Who Will Destroy Everything
    Years
  • I'd imagine Pikachu is strong because Ash has been training him for years, and he isn't able to evolve without the Thunderstone, so Pikachu is able to continue training and getting stronger and staying the way he is, while other Pokémon are able to level up. If that makes any sense xD Pokedude3012 is also quite correct, Professor Oak did say that particular Pikachu was stronger than other Pikachus.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Pikachu is usually strong because of either:
    1. It's actually strong, as Ash has owned it for a long time and has been training it for years
    2. Since Ash is the protagonist, all his Pokemon MUST be strong, so he can win.

It comes down to either one of those..could be protagonist syndrome, or actual grit. I myself go for 1, since Ash and Pikachu have been going to almost every region, battling, training and practicing for years.

Years
  • I swear theres an epposide based on it and that Pikachu was over powered or sommert and even its attacks are stronger and more powerful than a normal Pikachu's.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Well, it's Ash's lead Pokemon. It's very strong because he uses it more than his other Pokemon. That and it's his starter. Also, he doesn't know Volt Tackle anymore. It was replaced by Electro Ball. But, yeah, it's strong because it's been with Ash since Kanto.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • For two reasons:

1.Because Ash trained Pikachu for years
    2. Its the main PKMN of the anime, so yea.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
  • Because its ashes pikachu... It just defies all logic. (hitting ground types with thuderbolt etc) Lets just assume its just the deus ex machina for the story. (a plot tool to put it bluntly)

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • So, I'm the only one who thinks he's pretty weak...? I honestly feel like he SHOULD be strong for the reasons listed above but isn't. I've found it difficult to find a time when he takes out a foe without being almost KO'd. Ah, well. I guess if you want reasoning...

- He's been there for years, he'd be pretty experienced by now, I'm sure.

- Ash used him in a ton of battle so far.

- The strength is in the bond helps power in the Pokemon world. Extra points for that.

- KriegStrein's explanation works.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Yeah I think... Pikachu is pretty strong for a Pikachu. But compared to some of Ash's other 'mon and 'mon that he battles, Pika definitely has a tendency to struggle. Pretty sure he only seems so strong because of a) Team Rocket being so easily defeated and b) he's been around so long that his win:lose ratio is really really high, as opposed to other Pokémon who Ash trains from scratch for a while and then leaves with Oak.

Vikerus

Ownermon
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2013
    Yeah but... In the Celebi movie we learn who Prof.Oak is. And since he is from so long ago... The pikachu might actually be some sort of paradox.

Years
  • Ash's Pikachu is no ordinary Poke. Well he is adorable and cute by one way and in the other way He is strong and battle willed just Like Ash. Even he could stand against legendary Pokes and we saw him battle and draw the battle Tobias's Latios.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Because of all the experience he's had traveling with Ash through all the regions. They've been through everything.

The real question should be, Why does Pikachu revert back to Lv.5 after each new region and lose to someone who just started?

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
    Years
  • One phrase: The irony of the Pokemon anime.

Furthermore Pikachu can actually damage Ground types with his Electric moves without another Pokemon using Soak or other type-changing moves...

What's even more ironic is that Pikachu can actually tie against Takuto's Latios which has about like thousand times the power... and to the extent of crippling several legends... To think that his Pikachu doesn't have a Light Ball...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2013
    His strength is strongly centered around what the writers dictate. Pikachu can beat Drake's Dragonite(weakened by Charizard) then loses Gary Eevee, beats Brandon's Regice, then ties with Paul Elekid(although Paul wasn't a rookie trainer), ties a Latios and loses to Snivy. Pikachu is more like so inconsistent because that is the way the writers make him. Then follow that up by his poor performance in gym matches. Seriously losing to Panpour? Then he struggles against Tynamo... I'd rather them keep his strength and have him battle sparingly and just have him fight in big matches that way he still gets time to shine but the new pokemon get more battle screen time.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • His strength is strongly centered around what the writers dictate. Pikachu can beat Drake's Dragonite(weakened by Charizard) then loses Gary Eevee, beats Brandon's Regice, then ties with Paul Elekid(although Paul wasn't a rookie trainer), ties a Latios and loses to Snivy. Pikachu is more like so inconsistent because that is the way the writers make him. Then follow that up by his poor performance in gym matches. Seriously losing to Panpour? Then he struggles against Tynamo... I'd rather them keep his strength and have him battle sparingly and just have him fight in big matches that way he still gets time to shine but the new pokemon get more battle screen time.

Pretty much this.

His strength (and Ash's expertise - or lack thereof) is all based on who writes what episode and how they decide to start each new generation. Since the writers tend to retcon Ash into an absolute newb and Pikachu back to a low level every other season (since they're too lazy to change protagonists every generation to keep things fresh) and build him up from there, it makes Pikachu a yo-yo leveler of sorts. One minute: lvl 100 and taking on Legendaries. The next: losing to Pokemon that just hatched with some excuse that Zekrom's storm overcharged his pouches on his cheeks and made him unable to fight (and you didn't use Iron Tail to compensate WHY?) - and of course Prof. Ivy didn't detect this before the match cause then the writers couldn't show off a new starter.

Back