• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokémon Trainer Red

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    By the Gen I or Gen II standards his team is tough, but the team they assigned him didn't received any great updates. As a result he's even easier to defeat than his GSC counterpart.

The biggest problem is that they just blindly copy/pasted the old Yellow-based team from GSC, but for whatever reason, swiped out the Espeon for a (redundant) Lapras, so Red was greatly weakened.

Doing this was a HUGE mistake on GF's part. HGSS were supposed to be FRLG sequels, and FRLG incorporated nothing from Yellow, so the meaning of Red's team--the overleveled Pikachu and three Kanto starters--was completely lost.

And, by blindly copying over the Yellow-based Red from GSC, they also, in turn, completely wiped this poor girl from the games' canon. Played as the girl in FRLG? Sorry, your journey doesn't count! You're not the REAL Champion! Go back to the kitchen! :rolleyes2:

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I think battling Red will always be a big nostalgia factor for, despite the fact I never took him on 'till I made this account on the forums and started doing challenges! I prefer him having Espeon to Lapras, but his team still suits him though. I like the point about HGSS being sequels to FRLG so that the Pikachu doesn't make sense but I just can't see Red without a Pikachu!

now i really wanna read the adventures manga again agh!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Red was tough for me. even with my incredibly strong team in HGSS I lost to him. I don't think I've even defeated him yet. I did in Pokemon Gold though, using a hack haha. I duplicated 5 Golducks and along with my Feraligatr, destroyed his team. I suppose it wasn't a legitimate win, but it was a win nonetheless.

R2J

Years
  • In the original games, I never made it to Mt. Silver. In Soul Silver it took me 5 or 6 times, considering my Pokémon where under leveled.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2016
    I defeated Red with simple method item spam. 30 levels of difference made meaningless

Ryz

Years
  • The first time I played Silver I never even managed to beat Whitney.... I rage quitted after like the 10th try... I finally beat her and made it to Red.... I tried like a million times and never beat him. Whenever I play HGSS I always just beat Johto then stop... I sometimes do a few gyms in Kanto. When I made it to Red on SS I had soooo much trouble with him. I forgot to save the first few times so I had a lot of running back. It was awful. I wish you didn't have to beat him for the Kanto/Hoenn starters. The part I hated most about him was his Snorlax like one of the earlier posters. The Volt Tackle on SS was tough too. Everyone other time I make it there I destroy him though.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I am honestly obsessed with grinding, so by the time I got to Red, my team was around Lv95-Lv100.

Needless to say, I pwned him in such a one-sided beatdown. I'm sure Red would have been a lot more challenging if our team levels were similar, but nooo, I just HAD to go out and level my team members up beyond belief...

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
    Years
  • I was really bad at it. To be honest I'm not an item-user because most of the time when I use an item I got unlucky and he gets a crit. and I wasted a turn. Besides, I only use items when it can make a huge difference. I found him okay but I hated Snorlax: son of a ***** with high defense. I just tried to get a smart team: have type advantages (even when type advantages aren't everything, I know that, but it sure helps).

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • I'm such a bad trainer. I had problems with every Johto Gym Leader aaaaaaaand also lost to Lance two times. Do I need to say how Red kicked me right in the butt in the perfect spot. Had to grind a bit and also use items, like Max Revives and Full Restores.
    And my team wasn't bad too! I think I'm the bad one tbh

Years
  • In my very first playthrough of Gold he scared the bejebus out of me when I saw his Lv81 Pikachu.
    Now he's kinda overrated.
    I like the whole concept of him being silent on top of Mt. Silver though. I've read theories where people think he's actually a ghost.

Years
  • I never got to him, and probably don't plan on doing so. HG/SS are just so painful to grind in that I'll likely never be able to easily beat him.

Back