• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Scripting Compendium for 3rd generation ?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
  • For the first time, I decided to take a look at some basic scripts in third gen pokemon games. It's easy to notice that for example 02 is used to end a script and 2B [xx] [yy] checks if flag "xx yy" is set or not.

However, for example the "2B command" as itself doesn't tell you much. Here is how the command works as whole:
    The game checks in certain ram address, where data of flag bit "xx yy" is stored, whether "xx yy" is set or not (it's 00 if that flag is not set and 01 if it is) and writes it to RAM.

I made a quick search in Google and, as a result, couldn't find any explanation about the scripting commands in third gen games.
    The one, explained above, is not so difficult to be understood as for example this one (code 89 in G/S/C, there may be something similar in 3rd gen too).

89 Load map anew:
    -----------------

The number decides which map loading process is used. The number must be 0xF0 + process number to work correctly.

Structure:

[89][Number]

As you can see, it's difficult to learn how to use some of the commands unless you've clear explanations of their functions.

This is just an idea but I think a scripting tutorial, that clearly shows how each scripting command works, should be made. One for 2nd gen has already existed for over five years now, thanks to Tauwasser.
    For example I, who work with 2nd gen and script mostly with PKSV, yet need to use Tauwasser's Scripting Compendium quite a lot.
    There are many scripting commands I want to learn to use which aren't that easy to be learned - I wouldn't be able to use them by just messing around with PKSV, that's why I study how they work as well.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
  • As much as I dislike this site I figured I should post to help you out. I prefer to hack the GBA games but I did research GSC for a bit.

That being said I couldn't help but notice that there are in fact similarities in the scripting engine between the two generations. The same goes for other kind of data. The developers of these games, in my opinion, reuse their code but improve it as the years go by.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119021

That thread may be what you are looking for.

Also if you were to use XSE not only would it be easy scripting but you can press F1 to see a list of commands and their functions and parameters. Have fun.

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Oh, I never bothered checking if HackMew had written down explanations of the scripting commands in the editor itself. I guess another compendium would turn out useless then.
    But yeah, my idea was exactly to gather information of all the script commands and write down explanations for them.

Then again, it's not like I was about to start hacking 3rd gen or anything - I just wanted to make it possible for 3rd gen hackers to learn how to for example use the variable commands. Without them, you wouldn't be able to do that much.

Back