• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OS X Mavericks for free

droomph

weeb
Years
  • I'm feeling just a tiny bit suspicious, but please enlighten me why this is.

Though I prefer to have it like this instead of spending $30 on a new OS such as I did on 10.6 snow leopard :p

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I'm spending € 75,- to Apple, to get new Versions before they hit the App Store.
    I'm aware of them being Buggy, but I like taking challenges.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I'm feeling just a tiny bit suspicious, but please enlighten me why this is.

Though I prefer to have it like this instead of spending $30 on a new OS such as I did on 10.6 snow leopard :p
    My best guess:

Because Microsoft is giving away the 8.1 update.

MKGirlism

Years
  • Meaning that in the end, every OS is free now.
    However, it's free as in price, but both Windows and OS X are still not free as in freedom.

Years
  • At least OS X Mavericks is free, and I know people who have been stuck on previous versions of OS X (as far back as Snow Leopard and Lion) because the past couple of upgrades had cost money. I like the idea of them offering the upgrade for free since it means that more people will get to enjoy the usage of the newest system and updates, and it'd probably be easier for more people to report common problems/bugs back to Apple as well.

MKGirlism

Years
  • That's not always true.
    Android is free, and always has been free, and yet so many people are stuck on old Versions.
    I know it's the fault of Phone manufactures, but still, it shouldn't happen.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • That's not always true.
    Android is free, and always has been free, and yet so many people are stuck on old Versions.
    I know it's the fault of Phone manufactures, but still, it shouldn't happen.

Android is free because Google makes all of their money from advertisements.

MKGirlism

Years
  • Well, my point is, ZachLMedia basically said everyone is going to Upgrade, because it's free, so I said that shouldn't be necessarily true, because Android Upgrades are free too, and far from everybody has at least Android 4.1 running, while Google is about to launch Android 4.4.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Smartphones don't get updated because the carriers and/or manufacturers don't want to update them. Has nothing to do with Google. They want as many people as possible on the latest OS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    At least OS X Mavericks is free, and I know people who have been stuck on previous versions of OS X (as far back as Snow Leopard and Lion) because the past couple of upgrades had cost money. I like the idea of them offering the upgrade for free since it means that more people will get to enjoy the usage of the newest system and updates, and it'd probably be easier for more people to report common problems/bugs back to Apple as well.
    I mean, upgrading to Lion cost 25 at the time.
    Upgrading to Mountain Lion cost 25 at the time.

Corresponding Windows cost a lot more than that when they were released, so I'm not sure why the people who would pay ~$2,000+ for their computers would have a problem shelling out $25.00 to upgrade to the latest OS. They could have very well went with their new pattern.

Also keep in mind that OS X Mavericks is the next operating system for Mac. It's not a retweak, which would make more sense to be free.

But with the rest of this post, I agree. They wanted more people to use the newest OS.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • But Windows 8.1 isn't a new major OS release; it's an incremental update, like a service pack.
    OS X Mavericks (10.9) is a new major release.
    Unless I'm mistaken?

Yes and no. The same could be said for Mavericks. While the visuals aren't much different, it is a full update; just like Windows Vista to 7. The NT kernel number is up +.1 from Windows 8(6.2) to Windows 8.1(6.3).

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Lots of people keep saying that, yet it's false.
    iMac: € 1.329,00
    MacBook Pro: € 1.229,00

For US Dollars, change the Euro sign into a Dollar sign, and do the amount minus 30 in both cases.
    $ 2.000 USD? Where?!
    MacBook Pro goes up to $2,599.00.
    iMac goes up to $1,999.00.
    So no, its not false. Sorry.

Nevertheless, that still doesn't change the fact that they're high end computers on the sales end, and people who can spare that much on a new computer aren't going to have a problem paying $25 for an operating system, which was the point of my post.

MKGirlism

Years
  • Then that's not "$ 2.000+ USD".
    The Plus (+) in "$ 2.000+ USD" means, "$ 2.000 USD or higher, but nothing lower".

Back