• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Rival battles

pokemonkidtotodile

Pkmn connoisseur
Years
  • What do you guys think about the limited times you get to battle your rival before the elite 4? It seemed that in the originals, you either battled cheren or Bianca every route.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
    Years
  • The gap between Flocessy Ranch and.. what.. PWT? That was a pretty large gap, and had me expecting Keiichi (my rival's name) every few routes..

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I didn't like it... I loved that in the originals you battled Cheren/Bianca every few routes, kept you on your toes. Felt like Hugh was barely a rival, but more just like a friend who you battled on occasion just for the fun of it.

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
    Years
  • I'm annoyed he never has a complete team, and personally his personality is beyond annoying to me. Also you're correct it is way too limited the amount of times you get to battle him.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
    Years
  • I didn't like it... I loved that in the originals you battled Cheren/Bianca every few routes, kept you on your toes. Felt like Hugh was barely a rival, but more just like a friend who you battled on occasion just for the fun of it.

That's because Hugh isn't exactly your rival to begin with. You're following the usual dream, while dealing with Neo Plasma. Hugh, on the other hand, is focused mainly on dealing with Team Plasma and getting [blank] back for his sister. (The blank is to prevent possible spoilers for anyone who hasn't played yet. Probably pointless, but you know.) He really only battles you for the sake of seeing how you're progressing and how strong he's become since leaving Aspertia City.

Sirfetch’d

Doesn't really bother me. He was tough as heck right before the Pokemon League.

SkemoKyle

Drummer guy Kyle
    Years
  • It kinda peeved me a little that you only battle Hugh like 3? maybe 4 times?
    Due to the previous games (Flashback to Gold here) I was afraid of running into Silver at every freaking corner. You'd see a cross-section in a cave and you'd be like OHSHI- *Rival Music* "I'M NOT F*CKING READY D:" y'know? :)

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
    Years
  • It kinda peeved me a little that you only battle Hugh like 3? maybe 4 times?
    Due to the previous games (Flashback to Gold here) I was afraid of running into Silver at every freaking corner. You'd see a cross-section in a cave and you'd be like OHSHI- *Rival Music* "I'M NOT F*CKING READY D:" y'know? :)
    Dear lord yes, always had my team healed up in that game

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
    Years
  • Aha, you know. I'm enjoying White 2, but It is defenately lacking the whole "Rival" thing....

I feel the last few games have missed the mark on the rival aspect. It's more of a "friendly competition approach" but i like despising Blue... the tool bag..

SkemoKyle

Drummer guy Kyle
    Years
  • I feel the last few games have missed the mark on the rival aspect. It's more of a "friendly competition approach" but i like despising Blue... the tool bag..

GARY FREAKIN' OAK!
    The original asshat. xD
    But those were the better days of Pokemon imo.
    If anything there are two things I am currently awaiting Nintendo to do.
    1.Remake Pokemon Red/Blue for the 3DS and make a proper 3D Pokemon game.
    2. Get around to re-making RSE. as I didn't like the art style and I'd give it a proper go with the current art style ;)

:P

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
    Years
  • GARY FREAKIN' OAK!
    The original asshat. xD
    But those were the better days of Pokemon imo.
    If anything there are two things I am currently awaiting Nintendo to do.
    1.Remake Pokemon Red/Blue for the 3DS and make a proper 3D Pokemon game.
    2. Get around to re-making RSE. as I didn't like the art style and I'd give it a proper go with the current art style ;)

:P

They made fire red so recently i doubt they would though :(
    I want a pokémon game with a story line that might be considered a little more "adult" and put on all the consoles (like xbox360)
    Or one where Red is your father, or N that'd be cool

pokemonkidtotodile

Pkmn connoisseur
    Years
  • I felt like his team was a cheap rip-off of cherens as well, it would have been nice if he would have used other Pokemon pre-e4

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'm only in Opelucid City and yeah, I have noticed that there have been fewer rival battles than BW. I'm not complaining though, I hate when a rival battle pops up and you're not prepared for it. I kinda guessed when all of the rival battles would happen.

#isthenumbersign
    Years
  • I felt like I saw him everywhere, but I never got to battle him. He'd always be to busy with Team Plasma which kinda pissed me off.

Years
  • I did not notice this until watching the Marriland videos for B2/W2, yeah I have to admit these games were a little lacking in rival battles compared to other games.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I actually didn't even notice this. I guess I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't challenge you too much in the game, but I still have two more battles with him left, so I'm looking forward to battling him again. c:

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I always felt my paranoia was justified when I healed before entering any route, cave or house. Soul Silver and Gold taught me that. I always hated the fact that Silver came around the corner and fought me. Especially the escapade at Mt. Moon.... augh. But now, playing through White 2, whenever I hear Rival music, I jump in fright, and realize he just wants me to help or talk. Dumb rival. Now I actually kind of miss fighting him... rivals were always sort of a challenge for me. And they gave so much exp. I miss them now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I actually thought i was being immature calling my rival dork, bu he really is a dork . meh. I am glad i didnt have to battle him too often, I hated it when he came up on victoryroad and i hadnt have any potions left and only 4 pkmn were fit more o rless.

Back