• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advanced generation? Old? Well...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I remember getting Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy for my fifth birthday. I remember mistakenly calling Bug Catcher "Bug Charmander". Of course, that was a long time ago. The Johto series was the greatest of them all, and very few people argue with that. In Johto, our love of the game was rekindled and burned ever the more.

And then came Hoenn. More color, more Pokemon, and a completely new region. I played and replayed Ruby at least twenty times over because I loved the game so much. At the softball park where my parents played, during long car rides, when I visited my dad who lived several hours away. I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the Advanced Generation, as it was then that the "glory years" of my Pokemon experience were carried out. Going over to my cousins house to use his Gameboy Advance so that we could trade over my Eevee From Firered so I could get Espeon in Emerald.

Then came Diamond and Pearl. Good games, yes; but there was something different. The games got more simple, more watered down. That umph wasn't there anymore. It seems like I was just doing what the game told me to do, instead of me being able to explore and experiment. Everything was just too easy, leading you in the proper direction instead of giving you the ability to make mistakes. I didn't even buy Platinum, what was the point? It was just going to be the same story all over again. HG/SS passed by, and I beat HG once and never played it again. With the new generation, I'm not sure whether or not I'll even buy them. My heart lies with the past generations.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I distinctly remember being a member at PC during the pre-release hype leading up to the release of Ruby/Sapphire and watching as hackers who got the games at the Japanese launch leaked everything about it...so it still feels relatively recent despite the fact that I was 15 at the time and I'm now 23. XD

Ayselipera

I get that feeling from time to time. What I tend to notice is that I view Hoenn as separate from all the other generations. I just feel like the Pokemon in the Hoenn region and the region itself is still completely different from the previous regions before it and now after it.

Often times when I think about the possible III generation remakes I'll think to myself, "No they won't be coming out anytime soon since Ruby and Sapphire were only a year or so ago." Even though it's been years. I'm not positive what it is really besides my thought of them being so different from the rest of the games.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Gen 3 is the forgotten middle child. Were all in love with the old kids, gens 1 and 2 and the babies, gens 4 and 5.

Essentially Gen 3 is pokemon's Meg. And yes i just made a family guy refrence.

Edit - I grew up during gen 2. But i started on gen 1, pikachu edition. I like gen 3 because its the last of the good pokemon generation. I'll just point to some of the gen 4 pokes and all of the gen 5 pokes. Especially the icecream pokemon and its double scoop evolution.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • It depends.
    If you play it right after IV. gen game, you think... what... 2D?!
    But if you play it for some time, you get used to it, and it seems regular, if not, new.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    To me, it's still the most recent generation of games :X. I don't have a DS, so I can't play generation IV games. My brother has a DS as well as at least 1 generation IV game, but he is insanely annoying and never lets me play. I got back at him by stealing his pokemon from his sapphire into my emerald, but then he got back at me by stealing my 2nd gameboy SP that I got from my other brother and I can't find it anywhere =(.

Anyways lol :P, the most I've played it is when he let me on for like 15 minutes as long as I promised to catch every pokemon I came across. I had never played on 2 screens like that so it was a little disorienting for me, but I liked the graphics. I caught about 5 pokemon before the brat took it back.

So no, it doesn't seem old to me -- it's fun every time I pick it back up again. I always pick 3 different pokemon to level each time and then I use them in the battle frontier for a while.

EPIC Shedinja Hollow

Fallen Angel
    Years
  • It was extremely awkward for me trying to replay Ruby my first time in a while after I had first gotten Diamond. XD I still play Ruby to double up and some Pokemon that I would like to have again. One time I actually went through the entire game with the very 1st 6 that I caught. XD Blaziken... Aggron... Gyarados... Pelipper.... and it's been too long to remember the rest. XD

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I just bought a used emerald, sapphire and ruby after loosing my old cartridges. It's one of my fav. gens. I love Hoenn! I don't think it's quite that old yet, but I also don't think it's new. The middle child. I always liked the kanto remakes but it was my first time going through kanto since I started on silver. I sucked at pokemon when I started and never made it to kanto. (though i got a used Red version and am now playing through that)

Last edited:

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
  • Well...it's been years since the release and I think after every new release the old one gets, well, old?

I consider it old but not nostalgic~ Nostalgic is RBY and GSC. As they were on the Gameboy and still felt ..original? While the Advanced Generation games were all new and shiny and colorful. Maybe when the remakes are out i'll feel that way.

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 31
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Emerald had the most entertaining storyline, in my opinion. I personally prefer the Gen III games over Gen IV; maybe I'm just nostalgic in that regard, but there's just a sense of familiarity to Gen III that I can link to I and II. Gen IV is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so much changed between III and IV that IV almost felt like an entirely new series to me.

It's old, yes, but that doesn't detract from it being my favourite generation thus far (although V might replace that =D).

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Gen III was my first gen, and Pokemon has come a long way since then. Of course it's old.

However, Pokemon ROM Hacking's golden age was and still is in this generation, so the graphical style and all that is still with me all the time as I mess around.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I don't think the Advanced Generation have gotten old yet. That is, until Nintendo decides to make a remake of Hoenn. It could possibly be right after Generation V. I grew up and started with Gen. III, more specifically Pokemon Sapphire. That was about five years ago when it came out, but I can still remember begging my parents for Pokemon Sapphire when I first got my Gameboy Advance.

To be honest, Hoenn is in the middle of the classic and modern era of Pokemon. It was the stepping stone for future games and generations. Graphics improved, competitive battling was formed, fans bashed it for its changes, and Mirage Island is a pain in the butt; Pokemon still prospered. Pokemon, overall, is old school; Gen. III is just part of that.

I started with Generation III as well! Sapphire introduced me to the Pokemon world, FireRed allowed me to explore an updated Kanto, and Emerald allowed me to revisit Hoenn with extra goodies added. :) I agree that it's resting in the middle of the modern and classic eras of Pokemon. Generation 3 brought us the last fully 2D Pokemon games, yet was the first to introduce a slew of concepts: abilities, natures, Contests, double battles, Secret Bases, Ribbons, Poke Ball animatons, a revamped IV/EV system, and the Battle Frontier. Concepts that, for the most part (noting some GLARING omissions from BW like Contests), have transitioned into the first games of Generation V. IMO, RSE (and FR/LG to an extent) could be said to have been the unsung rebirth of Pokemon...

IMO, the only thing dated about the Gen 3 games are the graphics and lack of the newer Pokemon... I mean, once I saw DPPt's HP juicy, vivid, refreshing HP bar, the aging process for RSE had begun. Taking a look at more Gen 4 sprites highlighted this notion even further...

I get that feeling from time to time. What I tend to notice is that I view Hoenn as separate from all the other generations. I just feel like the Pokemon in the Hoenn region and the region itself is still completely different from the previous regions before it and now after it.

Often times when I think about the possible III generation remakes I'll think to myself, "No they won't be coming out anytime soon since Ruby and Sapphire were only a year or so ago." Even though it's been years. I'm not positive what it is really besides my thought of them being so different from the rest of the games.

It's weird...though the Pokemon anime was one of my first interactions with Pokemon all the way from the original series, the Pokemon introduced in Hoenn are more familar to me... I could go through Hoenn like it was the back of my hand, yet I still have trouble traversing Kanto in FireRed (mostly because it was newer for me than FireRed, I replayed Sapphire and Emerald more often, and I did not play through Pokemon Red or Blue Versions upon their original releases).

RSE still seems fresh in my mind (I've replayed a few of Emerald's Battle Frontier facilities many times), so a remake would be odd at first... Even odder is that the games came out all the way in 2003, back when I was still unfamiliar for the most part with the "Games" aspect of the Pokemon franchise...

I still treasure RSE with great memories, as they provided the definitive Pokemon experience for me: where there were no such things as "Pokemon leaks", game spoilers, and online databases available at an instant. Each encounter felt like a new discovery, and by uncovering more mysteries and features with each play session, I experienced a feeling of wonderment that all Trainers may relish... *sigh* I had hope to emulate that in BW (mainly Gray Version), but the information has already been propogated on the Internet faster than wildfire. While I have managed to avoid spoilers for the most part, it will still be sometime before a Pokemon game can provide me with the same adventures and experiences as the awesome games of Generation 3 (especially Sapphire, Emerald, and FireRed Versions) did.

Anyway, as I'm going to be stuck in Generation 3 for quite some time until I get Platinum, HeartGold, and Gray Version, Emerald will tide over the wait time... Hoenn's youth will still remain in my memories for quite some time, so while the third generation is aging, it is not "ancient" yet! :)

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Depends on which game in the generation. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald still feel like new games to me, and they actually obeyed their technology limits. The games looked beautiful and crisp. They still look like they could be new games. This is in contrast to DPPt, where they tried to put in 3D graphics on a system that obviously wasn't able to handle it (with every sprite in the game constantly being distorted and kids in the background losing their faces).

FireRed and LeafGreen just felt like they were old, even when they were new. The games were lazily made and felt like they weren't even finished.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I think they're middle aged, a lot of people still play AG games, but then again I don't.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    They're old but a whole lotta fun. For some wierd reason, I think the I to the III gen have the best graphics of PKMN.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2010
    I don't play them anymore, but I do have very fond memories playing ruby as soon as it came out and it was amazing.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
  • theve been out for 7 years!!! time flies....
    anyway, yeah there old but awsomke. i had bad luck and good luck with the 3rd gen.
    lost leafgreen and broke TWO firereds.
    bought sapphire and found an emerald on the floor in the park. worked fine

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    It still feels new even though it's been out for 7 years. It was/is such a big evolution.

Back