• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Selection Screen

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • I was trolling around on Deviantart earlier, and came across a really cool idea.

I want to make a better Character Selection.

Gender_Selection___New_RSE_by_spritemaster44.jpg

Is there a way i can implement this using Events rather then scripting it?
    I'm not exactly a scripting(As seen in my last thread)
    I have A Background, 2 banner for the genders, special Animations for the Big Sprites, and then the characters. Can someone help me implement this?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Of course you could implement it using events. That was the only way you could do things before RMXP and boy were there a lot of custom "scripts", such as menus, entire battle systems and even completely different genres of games!

The thing is, using events isn't really any different to using scripts, functionally speaking. The main difference is that, where in scripting you could effectively write any action you want, in eventing you are limited to those functions provided by the event buttons. In Essentials, many of those have even been rewritten to have different effects that usual.

I could definitely tell you how to do it, but given the aforementioned changes I'm not sure it would work the same way I'd envision it to in RM2k3 etc. As I recall, the event for reading button input has been modified, which presents a big issue to how the UI operates. Furthermore, simply telling you would be no different to telling you how to script it.

I'll say that if I were to do it in an unmodified RMXP project, it would involve at least one loop, some conditional branches, several show/move/erase pictures and some variable controlling, all performed using button input. The same could be said really about scripting it. Try to make something like a flowchart to figure out how you would use these pieces to construct a screen you can close, then a screen you can have input on, and so forth.

Again, though, some things have been modified in Essentials, so I don't know how well it would work. Good luck.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
    Years
  • Of course you could implement it using events. That was the only way you could do things before RMXP and boy were there a lot of custom "scripts", such as menus, entire battle systems and even completely different genres of games!

The thing is, using events isn't really any different to using scripts, functionally speaking. The main difference is that, where in scripting you could effectively write any action you want, in eventing you are limited to those functions provided by the event buttons. In Essentials, many of those have even been rewritten to have different effects that usual.

I could definitely tell you how to do it, but given the aforementioned changes I'm not sure it would work the same way I'd envision it to in RM2k3 etc. As I recall, the event for reading button input has been modified, which presents a big issue to how the UI operates. Furthermore, simply telling you would be no different to telling you how to script it.

I'll say that if I were to do it in an unmodified RMXP project, it would involve at least one loop, some conditional branches, several show/move/erase pictures and some variable controlling, all performed using button input. The same could be said really about scripting it. Try to make something like a flowchart to figure out how you would use these pieces to construct a screen you can close, then a screen you can have input on, and so forth.

Again, though, some things have been modified in Essentials, so I don't know how well it would work. Good luck.

How would one make a button using essentials 9?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Oh, you seem to have misunderstood me. It doesn't create a button. In the first page of the Event Commands dialogue, the fifth Event you can use is "Button Input Processing". This is what I meant. Normally it would listen for inputs on the keyboard etc. and store the input in a variable, which you could use in a conditional branch to execute certain blocks of code. But like I said, I believe Essentials has modified the workings of that particular Event Command; you'll have to ask someone else about that.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
    Years
  • Oh, you seem to have misunderstood me. It doesn't create a button. In the first page of the Event Commands dialogue, the fifth Event you can use is "Button Input Processing". This is what I meant. Normally it would listen for inputs on the keyboard etc. and store the input in a variable, which you could use in a conditional branch to execute certain blocks of code. But like I said, I believe Essentials has modified the workings of that particular Event Command; you'll have to ask someone else about that.

so the basic idea i have gotten from you is show images, and say text, and most likely hide the text bar, use input button processing to "Select" a gender. But then to make the gender play there walking animation I would Show and Erase images, then loop them. But when i go to switch to the other gender, the show and loop those images. whichever one i click will then continure the play the animation, move it to the center, and continue on until its done?
    Wouldn't it be easier to script this then?

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    Yes, it probably would. But without scripting, that's really the only way to do it. Sorry!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Yes, in the long run it would be much easier to script. Scripting itself would be harder, as you have to actually code things, but the freedom of coding means you don't have to get into convoluted nested loops of events. I'd suggest you look up FL's scene tutorial to start with so you can get an idea for how coding a scene works.

Back