• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why no realistic/modern RPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
Years
  • From what I've seen, almost every RP here is a fantasy-style RP. With maybe a few futuristic RPs.
    But what I haven't seen is a modern-day, realistic RP. Why is this? Because people don't think they're that interesting?
    IMO, a realistic/modern RP could have some quite practical uses.

1st Example: A School RP. Not a school full of kids with super-powers or whatever, but just a regular high school. The practical use of this is that people are able to slightly alter an aspect of their real life and convey it creatively, and, quite frankly, I could definitely see people getting help with their everyday problems through the RP posts of others.

2nd Example: A war RP. Not a war full of laser guns or magic staves, but with current day technology. The practical use of this could be to touch on the world of politics, potentially show people what wars are like from other countries' perspectives, and maybe, just maybe, even inspire people to go out and do something with their lives.

Comments, anyone?

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
  • You have a good point. I modern day RP would be would be cool, I like the High School idea. It might be able to help people out with their bullying problems or solve how to stop being bullied.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
  • For the most part, because there's very little common intrest there. People RP to escape their norm, not to solve the issues that exist within it, or to fantisize instead of seeing more of the same. It is a vessel for people to be someone they are not, who can do things they cannot, and fantasy/sci-fi are the two easiste ways to do this.

Zelos

*yawn*
    Years
  • Yeah, I agree with what ~Ozy~ said, people come here to role-play about fantasy and stuff that they normally couldn't do, not what they go every day to school to do. They experience this stuff about every day, so why would you want to come to a board and relive it all? o.O

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Reality's boring. =( You have a point; it's might be fun to shape our everyday lives into an RP...but I'm already living it (that's bad enough).

Besides, people normally prefer to stray from what's average during roleplays. But anyway, no one's stopping you from creating one.

Last edited:

Electric Hero

(Lightning) Lord
    Years
  • Like Ozy here said, people RP because they want more, they want to be something they are not, or can't be. Sometimes RPing can be better that writing, becaus ein RPs you can actually interact with other people, that you wouldn't be able in your town, state, or even country.

Maybe people like you, that like a lot what they have, and like to RP too, want to do something they usually do... or they like a lot, like school, or their very life. Usually young ones, kids, want some realistic RPs because they don't need happiness from fantasies or another worlds, because they have enough with what they have, but when someone grows older, there are chances that like you get to know better this world, you realize you need fantasies and another worlds to be happy.. because this one is... going down... maybe.

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
    Years
  • Well, it seems you're all talking about the school RP type thing.
    Actually, in my RP, I actually did incorporate my school INTO a fantasy setting...so, yeah.

But, the other thing to consider is a present day war. Ozy said RPing is to be something they normally couldn't; well, I think going to war and stuff is probably something the average person doesnt do =/

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Yeah, but you're school in the RP plays such a little role that now it's run down shack covered in blood

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
    Years
  • Naoko-chan said:
    Yeah, but you're school in the RP plays such a little role that now it's run down shack covered in blood

True. But every character I RP is actually based off a real person, including Jirae.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • It's true realistic characters/setting/themes might have been incorporated into the rpg, but in such way that one can easily differentiate between unrealism and our daily lives. Perhaps that's why the difference between our lives and fantasy styled rpgs seems vast?

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I for one would like to see a modern-day (or close to it, like World War II) war RP. Less swords and bows, less lightsabres and blasters, more M1 Garands and AK-47s. Less knights on horseback, less spacecraft, more Panzers and MiGs.

You've all fought in medieval and futuristic settings. Why not storm the beaches of Normandy, drive a Russian tank around Kursk, or pilot a B-29 on a bombing run over Japan? Why not battle North Koreans on the 38th parallel, be it in the cockpit of an F-86 Sabre or with an M1 Garand in your hands? Why not hunt down Viet Cong along the Ho Chi Minh Trail or duel North Vietnamese MiGs in a trusty F-4 Phantom? Why not battle Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard on the outskirts of Baghdad or track down Taliban forces in the mountains of Afghanistan?

Even "realistic" combat with good old guns and tanks can be escapist enough for your wants or needs. xP

Electric Hero

(Lightning) Lord
    Years
  • Unfortunately Jack O'Neill, World War II RPs are not allowed for one reason: the whole war was against the jews. Even the games of World War II are really great, PC can't accept RPs that mention something against religions. Yea, it's great to have a scoped Mosin-Nagat and firing, but this can cause problems. I have asked David if I could create a WW II RP... he just asked me to avoid mentioning all that... I said I was going to be careful, but then I realized, there was going to be someone to mention all that... so I made another realistic war, like WW II but it was not the same war.

So that's why no one can create a WW II RP... well... we can... but there is allways going to be someone who mentions tragedies against jews (newbies, or n00bs, or even someone that thinks he can say it).

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Max Hunter said:
    Unfortunately Jack O'Neill, World War II RPs are not allowed for one reason: the whole war was against the jews. Even the games of World War II are really great, PC can't accept RPs that mention something against religions. Yea, it's great to have a scoped Mosin-Nagat and firing, but this can cause problems. I have asked David if I could create a WW II RP... he just asked me to avoid mentioning all that... I said I was going to be careful, but then I realized, there was going to be someone to mention all that... so I made another realistic war, like WW II but it was not the same war.

So that's why no one can create a WW II RP... well... we can... but there is allways going to be someone who mentions tragedies against jews (newbies, or n00bs, or even someone that thinks he can say it).
    Who said we have to limit a World War II RP to just the European theatre of operations? We could relocate it to the Pacific theatre of operations; last time I checked, the Japanese didn't persecute Jews.

Of course, there are the wars after World War II (Korea, Vietnam, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and the various wars in Iraq, among others) and the wars before it (namely, World War I). Just don't go too far back or forward in time, or we're back to the same old medieval and futuristic RPs we're trying to escape in the first place.

Alana

I still love this world...
    Years
  • War can be a bit of a dangerous subject. Realistic war anyway. The main problem would be dragging politics into it. If that happened it's very likely a flame war would break out.

However I do see your point. I created a couple High School themed RPGs that went pretty well. True they never finished and the one I posted on here was a High School dance but it was still pretty fun. :P And school RPGs don't have to be related to our actual life. There could be a festival at the school or, like the one I made, a dance. Something that ties it into modern life but also makes it fun. That's why people create RPGs that have kids with special powers in some kind of school.

However, I don't think people will join an RPG that is nothing more than an every day school with no special events or anything. Who would want to go to school when they got home? :P

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
    Years
  • yeah, I think WWII is an example. Obviously that wouldn't be a good idea.
    But massive global scale wars that aren't based on anti-(insert religion here) could work.

Now that I think about it, I couldn't understand a single word in Jack O' Neil's post...=P

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well isn't this getting popular? I think a war would be a good idea, but it'd be limited to few RPers. Everyone knows what a standard Bow and Arrow is, but not many people know what the G-21 blah blah blah whatever is. (Personally I don't know either, that was just a random set of letters and numbers) So that would constrict the member choice, but then again, most RP's aren't setting out to please the world, I just know that it wouldn't appeal to me personally.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Alana said:
    War can be a bit of a dangerous subject. Realistic war anyway. The main problem would be dragging politics into it. If that happened it's very likely a flame war would break out.
    What politics is there in being a Filipino POW taking part in the Bataan Death March? What politics is there in flying an F6F Hellcat to defend your fleet from kamikazes? What politics is there in raising the flag over Iwo Jima?

Alana

I still love this world...
    Years
  • Poltics and war are tied together. If there's a war then politics has a part in it. After all, who sends us to war? Who authorizes us to go to war? The government and the president right? So that's how it could be tied in. I know it doesn't seem like it would cause a problem but it could. Not a very high chance but you're talking to Ms. Paranoid so I can always find problems with things like that. :P

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Burninating_Torchic: It's O'Neill with two Ls. There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L. He has no sense of humour at all. xP

Naoko-chan: Well, that's why they invented Wikipedia. You don't know about a gun or an airplane? Look it up. xP

Alana: Why draw attention to politics in the first place? Call of Duty or Battlefield 1942 don't pay attention to the politics of World War II; they just draw you right into the gunslinging and the bloodshed. An war-based RP should be like that too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Ummm, in some forums High School RPs are rampant x_x

And part of the reason people roleplay is to have a different set of rules and conditions than real life~~ we try to get as far from realistic as possible. =D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back