• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Thank you for holding. We value your business, and appreciate your patience!"

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
  • Seeing as I've been on hold with a call company for the past hour and a half, I was wondering.

Have you ever been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time?
    What do you do while you're on hold?
    Thoughts on the terrible elevator music they play for you?
    Do you raise hell when for the laffs they finally answer your call?

EDIT: LMFAO I COULD HAVE SWORN I WAS IN OVP /SCREAMS.
    Please move this there? ;w;

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes.
    I slowly get more and more pissed off.
    I can imagine the music escalating the rage in some people.
    Actually no. I handle things diplomatically.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Yes.
    Wait.
    When your calling blizzard customer support I think the music is rather nice.
    No.

aw, what a charming post...human decency, so rare

i figure any company who employs telephone operators are understaffed (as a result of those "hell-raising" customers). it's annoying to wait, but i try to be understanding.

Years
  • Have you ever been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time?
    The most I've ever been on hold for was 30 minutes. However, I always try and find live online help before calling in if possible (unless the issue is with something my computer/internet)

If I'm on hold I find myself too distracted to do other things, so I usually just sit there staring into space while I wait for someone to pick up.

Actually the last time I was on hold for more than 10 minutes, they just put on one of the local radio stations, so it wasn't too bad.

Do you raise hell when for the laffs they finally answer your call?I usually don't bother making a fuss, as other people are waiting too, and I'd just be holding them up. I try and make the call as quick as possible, and I would hope that others calling in would do that as well.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Have you ever been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time?
    About 4 hours, when trying to talk to my ISP about why our households internet wasn't working. Got some guy who could barely speak English and didn't know **** all about computers. Although I try to maintain patience (or at least a facade of patience) at all times, this guy really tested it, considering I had to translate every second word into something he could understand. Which of course, was nothing.
    Although I'm rarely on hold, I just start talking to people or start watching TV. I sometimes read, as well. But when I'm talking, sometimes I think that they're not really on hold and that every one in the call center is just snickering at my dumb conversations, lol.
    Oddly enough, I've never heard the elevator music which is supposedly synonymous with being on hold. I remember singing along to Kelly Clarksons Because of You last time, haha.
    No. That's just rude. Besides, why would I want to risk them hanging up on me after the wait I just went through?

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • That happens whenever I call my mom's office. :/ Her assistant picks it up and every time she tells me that my mom is busy and then that stupid music starts to play and my mom still doesn't answers and then the music continues to play and play and play until I get really annoyed and hang up. @__@ Hate it when that happens.

Years
  • When I had to help my dad out with some banking nonsense, we were put on hold for such a ridiculous long time with the same repetitive music going on in the background.

By that time, the phone went dead. At least we weren't paying for the call, but there have been similar instances where we were. >_>

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Yes.
    Put it on speaker, set phone aside, browse the web.
    I don't listen to it.
    My policy is simply "If the wait is longer than 30 mins they don't really care; Put the angreh faec on." The only exception is when there's some person or message warning you within the first 5 minutes that your wait time may exceed the aformentioned 30 minutes. Then the wait limit is however long they specify as the average or max wait time is. If it exceeds THAT well, it's to the garbage with 'business polite' if they give me poor customer service in any way during the call. Being willing to tirelessly escalate to the next tier usually helps.

Khall

Permafrost
    Years
  • When I had to call my router's customer support I was on hold for about 30 minutes. I eventually got fed up and hung up, and called back a few minutes later with no waiting problem.

And don't even get me started on the music. It was this 30 second long tune, and it kept looping over and over.

And I had to call them like three times because they kept telling me the wrong things. -_-

Years
  • I've had to go through this. Who hasn't? Money related things, usually, but good ol' tech support can't be beat for putting you on hold. When the muzak starts playing I just put it on speaker so I can hear if anyone answers and play my own music until I get through. It's usually enough to keep the experience from being too irritating.

And I won't get angry at the person I'm talking too unless they are genuinely unhelpful. And I mean if they can't help me that's okay, but if they don't even try to help me or get me to someone who can then I get annoyed.

Zaspien

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • It's annoying but is sometimes needed so I don't mind too much. Also, there a plenty other people out there going through the same thing as me so why should I be any different?

1. I've never been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time before and normally - when I do get through - the workers on the other end are helpful enough and things normally get sorted out.
    2. I normally put the phone on answer and do something productive (but can also be stopped at any time) while keeping an ear out for the phone.
    3. I've never really had any bad elevator music but it tends to be pop, r&b, hip-hop, etc. which really isn't my style so, like I said above, I tend to do something else and ignore the music completely.
    4. Nope because I don't find raising hell a laugh.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    This happens alot to me lately
    try to keep myself calm
    it makes it worse
    no really

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • "You are tenacious like bull. I like. Please hold." - Peggy, from Discover's USA Prime Credit ads

Have you ever been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time? More often than I should be.
    What do you do while you're on hold? Let my anger solwly build up, and start yelling into the phone after 10 minutes.
    Thoughts on the terrible elevator music they play for you? At least it's better than country music... though that's not saying much.
    Do you raise hell when for the laffs they finally answer your call? No, I try to compose myself and calm down once they do decide to pick up the phone.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Nah I rarely call institutions and things. Just the doctor/dentist, college or the bank. I've been put on hold for a while with the bank before, but it wasn't too bad. I have this habit of putting on a really sweet voice and being super polite in these situations (its not the same voice as the accent challenge, I swear) idk I just find it really hard to be rude to people unless I know them personally THEN I WILL SAY ALL SORTS OF CRAP

With the doctor/dentist receptionists I end up having a chat lol

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    i don't think i've ever been on hold for an obnoxious amount of time. i don't really think it's much of a big deal. i'm really understanding that they're probably getting a lot of calls during the timeframe, and i don't take it out on them. it's not their fault that you're on hold, so why take it out on them and be rude? like vendak, i have a habit of putting on a really sweet voice and being super polite when i'm on the phone with someone i don't know. but i can easily sit there for twenty minutes without even thinking about it.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • This morning I called Comcast to sort out a small issue with my bill. I was on hold for 23 minutes. While on hold at Comcast, they play Comcast ads, among elevator music. After someone picked up, I had the issue solved in 5 minutes. :\ So that was 23 minutes on hold to solve an issue that took 5 minutes to solve.

As far as when I'm on hold in general, I just put my cell phone on speaker and set it next to me while I occupy myself with something else. I have never raised hell when they picked up.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Oh yes I've been on hold for ages before.. but the worst is when they answer your call.. and things are getting solved and then they need to "put something in their computer" for a sec, or "transfer you to someone else" and then they just hang up or they press the wrong button and it disconnects. .. and then you have to wait the whole hour or whatever it is AGAIN and have to reexplain yourself. I don't raise hell but I DO make them aware that I do not want to be put on standby because its happened..

:/ The best is with Adobe systems... they give you a callback. So much easier.

Back