• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jak and Daxter

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Jak and Daxter

Insert generic explanation of the plot to this game series, one of the most popular series on the PS2, badass protag, etc. You get the idea! So, who's played the game(s)? Did you enjoy them back then? Still enjoy them now? Do my questions annoy you? They do, I'm sure. Feel free to add anything else you'd like!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I got Jak II first, but I hardly remember doing anything besides riding his hover-board around. I got Jak III and Combat Racing as well, then picked up Jak I for pretty cheap. My memory is so fuzzy at the moment, I want to replay them!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • My brother was a huge fan of the games, and we have all the original 3. I had no idea more had been made until just recently, but apparently they shouldn't be very good, so reckon I haven't missed out on it that much.

Personally, I've only ever finished the first Jak and Daxter game, and it's still my favourite out of the entire series. I enjoyed both 2 and 3, but I've always been too much of a noob to finish those two ;D And I honestly kinda feel like both of those two strayed away from what made the first one my favourite. I mean, it was entirely about platforming, but I reckon since that was a bit of a dying genre, they moved into new territory to still keep the games fresh and interesting. And it actually felt like with each new game they gave it a new sub-genre to say. First one was entirely platforming, second one added shooting elements, and the third one added cars and races. And it's actually a pretty good idea. But I still feel like the games went too far away from the platforming, and that's also a bit of the reason to why I haven't finished the two, because I just couldn't keep myself entertained enough with the shooting.

The story though is what kept me coming back to the two others. While I liked the story from the first one, it got sooo much more interesting in the second one, and the layers 2 and 3 added to the original was just pretty awesome. I feel like they in general just introduced waay too many unnecessary characters though, who were either built up to more, or whom we didn't even get any information about, though the main culprit of this was actually the first one.

In any case, I like the games, and I still enjoy playing them every once in a while :D

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I've played the first 3, and they were extremely fun :D Daxter has to be one of the best video game sidekicks ever...he's goofy, funny, and when he wants to be, a helpful buddy of Jak, who's..well, a badass. First one was best to me, because platforming and a classic style of combat is a win for me..

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The story though is what kept me coming back to the two others. While I liked the story from the first one, it got sooo much more interesting in the second one, and the layers 2 and 3 added to the original was just pretty awesome. I feel like they in general just introduced waay too many unnecessary characters though, who were either built up to more, or whom we didn't even get any information about, though the main culprit of this was actually the first one.

I feel the same way. Like Lilith, I played Jak II first, but I don't have much interest in playing the first game because I don't think it will immerse and interest me as much as the second one, and the third once I pick that back up. I started it the other night after my boyfriend beat Jak II (after playing through the latter half of the game without me... ~_~). I do plan on picking up a copy of the first soon though, and then I'll replay Jak II after I beat it. But for now, still gonna go through Jak III...lmao.

Also, my first experience with the game is when my cousin at the time had the game at our grandparents house. He was mean and never let me play, and would get mad even if I watched. Glad they're not related to me anymore, lol. But yeah, this series is one that I hated missing out on back when PS2 was a current thing. I'm glad I'm finally catching up on it now.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    A series with a lot of questionable design choices and probably Naughty Dog at their worst, but a very good series nonetheless. Jak and Daxter 1 is probably the best of the three with solid level design and a very good take at the Mario 64 formula, with an emphasis on collecting. You don't really see platformers like it nowadays but it's one of the best of the best. Though I'm not big on collectathons which is why I like 3 the best in the series, despite it's losing focus on platforming. Jak II is one of the most polarizing games in existent, you'll either love it or hate. I personally think it's an abomination.

That said I do like the lore and IP of itself even when ND changed everything with II (because I thought 3 did a good job to actually make me like the characters even after all that) but I really feel like Daxter wasn't even relevant by the second game. Daxter worked because Jak was silent. He had presence, a role, and served as a very charming contract to the serious and heroic Jak. By making Jak talk, and not just making him angsty and revenge-driven, Daxter really lost his sole purpose, and is largely irrelevant unfortunately. Hell, they even got rid of Daxter in the title! Which is a shame because he's the high point of Jak I for me. In terms of Jak, I actually do like 3's Jak a lot. He's more like how he was in 1, just talking, plus I love his design. Jak in II is just too angry for my liking.

Great series but after hearing the reboot Naughty Dog was planning I don't think it should be revived. Besides, always preferred the Crash Bandicoot games.

Years
  • I haven't played anything past the third game, although I did....somewhat enjoy the ones I did play? Always thought they were kind of fun, even if I did end up playing them out of order - played first one, didn't get very far in the second one at first, ended up beating the third one before I ever finished the second one. Or maybe I got the second one only because I had the third and I wanted to play it to figure out why the heck the first and third games were so different. I honestly don't remember.

I did try replaying them for nostalgia about a year ago - yeah, that quickly ended about halfway through Jak II, one of the few games that can make me rage like that...my god. I don't mind the game, it's decent, but certain missions are just ridiculous.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • but I really feel like Daxter wasn't even relevant by the second game. Daxter worked because Jak was silent. He had presence, a role, and served as a very charming contract to the serious and heroic Jak. By making Jak talk, and not just making him angsty and revenge-driven, Daxter really lost his sole purpose, and is largely irrelevant unfortunately. Hell, they even got rid of Daxter in the title!

What's interesting about this is that as SOON as we put in the disc for Jak II, I mentioned that. I was like, "You know, Daxter must not be that important in this game. They took his name out of the title." And so as soon as Jak spoke, I was like "Oh. That's why." I haven't played the first game yet (in full anyway), but I started Jak II before I. Already knew Jak was silent though, but yeeah they really did butcher off Daxter. I can't speak for III so much since I just started it. As far as that goes, I started singing "where did his hair go?" since they cut Jak's hair. lol

also i would be using a jak 3 theme but i couldn't find any good gifs so you're stuck with 2 but i think it looks dashing on me hee hee

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I've only played the first Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I bought it on PS2 a while after the 3rd. one came out. The game was very fun, agh I wish I had a PS3 so I could play the trilogy. Yeah, Daxter ha the personality and Jak had the brawn.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I loved this game when I was growing up, haven't played it in a very long time, been thinking about getting the Vita version for a very long time. Not sure if it would be any good though.

Back