• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gifts

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • Did you ever use the pokemon you were given as gifts in the games or did you try to use a team that you caught all on your own? I know I use hitmonlee from the fighting dojo when I play red or blue but during yellow I use Machamp so I just box my fighting type gift. Then I almost always box Lapras because I already have a water type. Then G/S/C is the only time I ever use my Eevee because I use it for Espeon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Yellow, I remember using Charmender once, which I got from Vermillion. Also used Squirtle at one point. d: As for Bulbasaur, don't think I've ever used it; wasn't such a huge fan of it back then. Aside from these three, unfortunately, I've never used any other gifted Pokémon. Did get a hold of them, but put them into my PC immediately after.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The gift Pokemon in the first two generations of Pokemon were awesome. I actually have a hard time picking which ones I want, cause there are just so many good ones. I pretty much always use Jolteon in RBY and Umbreon in GSC, unless I'm doing a challenge and it doesn't fit its way into my team (but trust me, I try lol). I always keep my starter in those games as well, since I like all three choices.

If you like gift Pokemon a lot, there's a challenge where only gifts are allowed haha. So check that out if free Pokemon are your thing. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    The only Gift Pokémon I remember using throughout either Generation game with Hitmonlee. When I was a kid, really liked Hitmonlee and how he used kicks as his main attacks. This was mainly from the anime, but I still enjoyed both him and Hitmonchan in the games. Once defeating the Karate Master, I would would always get one and train it for hours until it was close to the level of my other Pokémon. Now that I look back at it, I'd rather have had a Primeape than either.

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2014
    I used gift pokemon, but I tended to put them in a parties of their own (I did not mix the caught with the gifted - OCD?).

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • To be honest, only a few gift pokemon from gens 1 and 2 are useful for my play-style. These tend to be mostly the Eevee gifts and sometimes Togepi or Hitmons.

There actually is a challenge for this that I have participated in(but taken a hiatus currently) and it is interestingly difficult and fun. Here it is.

Oh, yeah, ummm I just realized this thread was started by the same OP. Ummm hi!?!

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In Yellow I almost always used Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur ^^ and lately I've also boxed Pikachu pretty often and gone with Jolteon, Hitmonlee and Mr Mime. So you might say I sometimes have all gift pokemon teams! What an Ash I am.

Years
  • As a kid, I didn't really care; I just wanted to try out different Pokemon. Now, if I received a gifted Pokemon I liked (like Eevee), then I would almost always use it on my teams. The only gift Pokemon I wouldn't use are in-game traded ones because I like nicknaming my own Pokemon. (Plus, some of the nicknames given to those Pokemon were terrible.)

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I rarely used gift Pokemon unless I thought they were awesome and fit a slot in there. One I always used though was Eevee, due to the variety of choice. (Though I always made it Espeon. Occasionally Umbreon.) Another one I occasionally used was the Togepi due to having a liking for Togetic. And sometimes, I suppose I'd also go to the Game Corner and get myself a Dratini early on in Goldenrod City, but I don't really think that counts as much. Those are all I can recall.

Back