• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with my Mew promo card

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Hello guys :D

I have an old Mew black star promo here and just wanted to make sure it is authentic. The thing is I am very good at identifying fake cards and I believe it to be real. However it has what looks to be like glossy plastic over it of some kind. I am not sure if someone added it like tape stuff or whether Wizards of the coast gave this card this finish or whether it does indicate that it could be fake. It has no signs what so ever that it is fake though other than that. Please take a look an see what you think:

Took these with flash to show the glossy stuff and notice on the edges where it kind of hangs over:
DSCF1161_zps91c4b027.jpg

DSCF1162_zpsbff1f75a.jpg

DSCF1163_zps0ec08809.jpg

DSCF1166_zps726899de.jpg

DSCF1168_zps2f48b801.jpg

However notice that all the fonts are completely normal, everything is very clear and no typos which fakes have. also the back is totally normal with no extreme miss cuts or anything:
DSCF1169_zpsffc8aeeb.jpg

DSCF1172_zps6ec36ff6.jpg

DSCF1174_zps38afdbbb.jpg

DSCF1175_zps4d842cc8.jpg

Anyone else have this on any old cards? and what are your opinions of this one? Would really appreciate it. thanks :)

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Oh dear :/ Thats a shame lol. I might just buy another from ebay as you can get the non holo version like this cheap. Thanks for the help :) It looks so real but yeah that gloss is weird.

Hey donavannj I just remembered one of the corners is in pretty rough shape and you can see inside the layers of the card. Is there any way you can tell by that? Sure I saw someone say you can tell by the colour inside the card or something. Could be wrong though lol

Last edited:

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
Years
It's not "Gloss".. Its been laminated.. All my cards are like that 10 years ago @_@
As for fake or not, idk. :P

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Yeah I am very unsure too lol. I gave it to my younger sister anyway and i can get another off ebay for about £1.50 so I will just do that i think. Thanks a lot for all the help. I am a bit gutted since i loved this card as a kid and was excited when i got it in a bundle lol but it was his old collection so I guess if it is fake it snook in there lol. Never mind though. Will buy another :D Thanks

And besides I sort of made up for the loss of this one by buying some other old promo cards from back in the day lol. See my vid here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5am2fYS0vQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Back