• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Shooting at LAX Airport

Years
A gunman walked into LAX this morning, pulled an assault rifle out of his bag, and opened fire, killing a Transportation Security Administration agent and wounding several others at the airport.

He moved through a TSA screening area and into an airport terminal, where he continued firing shots. Chief of Airport Police Patrick Gannon said in a press conference that several other people were injured in the shooting, including another TSA employee.

UPDATE: The shooting suspect has been identified as Paul Anthony Ciancia. CLICK HERE to read more.

"Officers tracked the individual through the airport and engaged him in gunfire in Terminal 3," Gannon said.

He confirmed that multiple people were transported to the hospital, and that the scene is safe. Fox News reports that the suspect is connected in some way to TSA.

"After the initial burst of gunfire and hiding, people started jumping over one another, jumping off chairs, pushing each other," Fox Sports reporter Bill Reiter said on Twitter. "Chaos & fear."

Live aerial footage of the scene previously showed hundreds of evacuated passengers crowded in and around the terminal. Emergency crews appeared to be working with patients on stretchers, and police armed with weapons swarmed the area.

"I heard popping and everybody dropped to the ground," evacuated passenger Robert Perez told CBS.

Tory Belleci of Discovery Channel's Mythbusters show was on his way to Philadelphia when the shooting occurred.

"I was in Terminal 3 when we heard the shots," he told HuffPost Crime. "At first it didn't register. Then, everybody started panicking and running. We ran toward terminal, but the gate was locked. We were trapped. It felt like an eternity ... We heard the shots coming from the elevator. One person near me said the shooting happened in the common area.

"A person told me he saw the shooter coming up the escalator. He was [allegedly] a white man in a white shirt."

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said during a press conference that Terminals 4 through 8 are open and running at a slower pace. He urged those with afternoon flights out of LAX to reschedule, as the investigation is still ongoing.

Source

Situation is still developing. And yet another shooting to infect the airwaves with.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Ah, I saw this.

He was a TSA officer, in the past I believe, so they let him pass. That's how he got access.

Years
The guy was supposedly on some kind of an anti-government/anti-TSA crusade. I know better than to associate him with all the other people who are anti-government but non-violent, but I can't help but feel that some of the more extreme anti-government talk is helping to push fragile people over the edge like this. Do you know what I mean? Not that they're legitimizing stuff like this because that's not what they're doing, but they're making anti-government sentiment seem like it's completely normal and that people who are okay with the idea of government are somehow crazy.

It's a mixed blessing that this happened in a place with as much security as it has. All those people who were at risk, but all those security people nearby to stop this from going on longer than it did. I'm just sad that someone died.

Sir Codin

Are you sure it's just "talk" that's pushing them over the edge?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Pretty sure the government being bad is what's pushing them over the edge.

Propaganda is strong, but not strong enough to warrant this case.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Assault weapon, koff~

I laugh in the face of the stupid media. Good job man (sarcasm). He just showed you that airport 'security' is just the illusion of security. The TSA has to call the people with guns. By the time that happens, and by the time people get there to do anything, how many will die? Oh well, more anti-gun legislation and waco-nuts here we come. Sigh. I wish people would just take a break every now and then. TSA can't keep you safe people. Remember my Kayne and Lynch analysis? Kayne and Lynch want plane, Kayne and Lynch get plane, koffi~

Years
The TSA is supposed to prevent harmful materials from ending up on the plane in the air. He took out his assault rifle and moved through the screening area and into the terminal. Clearly he's not going anywhere.

CoffeeDrink

Years
The TSA is supposed to prevent harmful materials from ending up on the plane in the air. He took out his assault rifle and moved through the screening area and into the terminal. Clearly he's not going anywhere.

Wow, koff~

You must paint me as some kind of imbecile. It's an analogy. Criminals take what they want, regardless of the circumstances. In this case, lives. And please, stop calling it an assault rifle, because it isn't. Still doesn't detract from the illusion of security comment I made previously. Cheer up chap. You're not trying to. . . wait for it. . . Escape from L.A.

Yeah, koffi~

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Pretty sure the government being bad is what's pushing them over the edge.

Propaganda is strong, but not strong enough to warrant this case.

Please, can you explain the thought process behind.

"I don't like what the government is doing so I'm going to go and shoot a load of civilians at an airport."

And then can we stop trying to make this a "I hate Obama" thread, as it is completely irrelevant to the OP. There is absolutely no rational reason to want to go and kill 'TSA'.

It's just another case of a crazy/unstable person with a gun - something which has been far too common this year..

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
It's just another case of a crazy/unstable person with a gun - something which has been far too common this year..

Right, because it's simply human nature to go and shoot tons of people in an airport.

No.

He was most likely trying to make a point by showing that airport security can't do jack and we're all screwed which, honestly, may have also been directed at the government by stating, "You're not safe."

^ That makes MORE sense than just saying he did it because he's a "crazy person".

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
It's becoming increasingly clear that the United States has become unbalanced due to injustices the government has imposed on the people.

Sir Codin

I agree. Self-immolation is a badass way of going out.

Years
I am waiting for FOX news and other media outlets to blame Call of Duty as there was a mission which had the player shooting people in an airport.

CoffeeDrink

Years
Terrorist, koff~

What an ugly and overused buzz word. It's absolutely worthless. Not a terrorist, just a murderer. Just a murderer. How beautifully simplistic. No long labels that make people scared to go outside or visit tall buildings. Personally I prefer the term 'international criminals'. Much nicer ring to it. This guy is just a murderer. No special effects and no trying to play it up, koffi~

also: Marvin Heemeyer

Years
And if for some reason you're of strong enough convictions to think your cause is worthy enough to take lives from this Earth at least make it not the innocent, how unfair and selfish it was for this shooter to kill this TSA agent and wound others who had nothing to do with his grievances. Be somewhat honourable and take only your own life from this Earth early, in public, with clear demonstration as to why, preferably in a most painful fashion. That will gain a LOT of attention.
That's the part of these kinds of incidents that scare me. He might not have thought of the man he shot as innocent because he was a TSA agent. It's the dehumanizing that really scares me because it can mean that anyone could be "guilty" in some extremist's eyes. I work in a school so I technically work for the government. I've never spied on anyone or taken away anyone's freedom, but I am connected to "the government" and someone with a grievance against the government might think I'm some complicit pawn and not a human being.

Back