• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SageDyu

Knowledgable Pokemon Lover
Years
All of my friends in school tease me because I'm a pokemon fanatic. They say it's for 5 year old's and that it has no value. I completely disagree. I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have? I just want to hear you thoughts! ^_^

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
Years
I think the Pokemon anime is childish, but the games are not. In todays society, you get picked on for anything other then default, so I'm picked on a lot for Pokemon/Anime too, but that's there problem and if they think it's for 5 year olds, they're missing out on the fun.

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
Years
Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
Years
the show about kids on adventure yes the game about battling monsters that can kill you but still stay cute and battle to the death is more pg then it ever get even if there isn't blood plus the complex battling system in Pokemon is way to hard for a 5 year old to understand tell that to your friends

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
Years
Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.

The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read please.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
Years
The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read please.

thats the point to fool their friend to try it and they might like it

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Yes, yes it is.

Now stop denying it or at least stop bringing this up every few weeks.

Years
aww well lets look at this i'm 19 and still love pokemon - still watch the show, collect the plushies, figures and cards. have every game ever made and all the movies i don't think its childish but there will always be people that think differently. i get teased sometimes but i just ignore it because to me its fun and thats all that matters. =)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2014
Well here's the deal. It's aimed at children and that's thetruth. But that shouldn't stop you from liking something you enjoy. I mean if you like a type of music and your friends don't and tease you about it, does that mean you should stop listening to that music? Of course not, the truth of the matter is is that they're probably hiding something too. They probably like something that's considered embarrassing. Now there is a way tonot make pokemon childish. Read some fanfic. nost of it's FAR from childish because the writers bring pokemon to a more realistic and mature sense. Plus, where I'm from if a girl likes something that's considered childish(like pokemon) it's alright, but if a guys likes it he's practically shunned for life. So don't listen to them, as long asyou're having fun who really cares.

iShini

Go, Mah Giant Piplup!
Years
I pretty much agree with what they mentioned. Yes, it is aimed for kids (especially the English dubbing, which I refuse to watch today, but loved as a child), but yes, it can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.

Would you all like prime examples? My mother completed the Pokedex on Blue. I was more of a battler and I still am. I am a "full grown" lady and I still play Pokemon. Even if it's mostly played by guys that are still in school. XD If I enjoy the game, who cares about everyone else's opinion. They don't care about my opinion, so why should I care about their own? People are silly.

I just think most people like to stir stuff up or try to pass a 'solid belief' that Pokemon is for five-year olds.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
Yeah, it's definitely aimed at a younger audience. But like many have said- who really cares? Yes its somewhat illogical, but it's fun and interesting. It can also be more complex when you get into team/deck building, IV's/EV's, prediction, and so on and so forth.

I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have?

I think it is a good way to explore your creative side, and connect with your inner 8 year old- no matter what your age. Today's society puts so much emphasis on only conforming to the "normal" activities. (going to school, working, etc.) And because of this, I think alot of people have lost the art of just being. Pokemon is kinda pointless, but thats the point!

I have a friend who is a really good boxer. You know what he secretly loves? Dragon Ball Z. We all have our quirks. Embrace them.

/End speech lol.

Years
Alright, let's see here...

I am 19, a college student who is just finishing up his first year.

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who is going to be my roommate next year. Somehow we got on the subject of favorite TV shows as we were children, and I mentioned Pokémon. This of course led into a conversation about Pokémon in general, and when I mentioned that the games were good ways to pass the time, he told me that his mother sometimes plays the games and challenged me to a Pokémon battle next year when we're rooming together.

So, I would say that, yes, Pokémon is aimed more at younger children than it is at adults...but that doesn't mean that it's not something adults can enjoy. There are actually a lot of people my age or older that either still play the games or have fond memories of playing it; I'd bet that if I did a survey of the kids on my college campus, probably about 75% of them would either still play them or have fun reminiscing about them.

I do believe, however, that that phenomenon isn't going to last. Pokémon is still big nowadays, but it's not as dominant as it used to be. When it first came out and the people my age were growing up, Pokémon was the biggest thing around, and none of its competitors were even close. I'd compare its popularity around that age group to the popularity of the Beatles during the British Invasion--there were a few holdouts, but practically everyone was into Pokémon to some degree. Pokémon cards were even banned at my elementary school because they were distracting the students. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as being as much of a force right now as it was when it first came out, and I think that it will probably lose some of its staying power because of it (i.e. there are fewer people getting into it now to begin with, and fewer of them are likely to stick with it).

Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 10, 2015
They probably play it themselves, :D
Or are a bit bored with their own life, and decide to take it out on yours, eitherway...
Sure, the anime is a little childish, but with IV, EV training.. not every child can understand that.
So, sure, there are elements of pokemon that are childish, but it's not only for children, loads of adults play it.

1 more badge

Sinnoh and hoenn champion
Years
pokemon isnt just for kids, ive got an 18 year old cousin and he still likes pokemon a bit, hes got loads of card. well at my school i admit ive got pokemon ruby and diamond and im not teased, but the anime is a bit childish these days

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
It depends on how you perceive it. If other people say it's childish to you then you received those comments, yes it's childish.

But to me, it's not childish.

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
The games are designed to be played by people of all ages. I'd say nerdy but not childish

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2010
The Anime looks a bit kiddy , but the game is not , you wont Expect a Child to know about EVs and IVs . Im actually into Competitive Battling more than the anime >.>

Years
Unfortunately for me, there's no explaining EVs and whatnot to my friends, so i must keep my Pokemon-liking side a secret. Sure, the occasional time when we talk about what games we have, i end up saying Pokemon [something], but say that i never play it. They say ''Oh yeah, those games were brilliant!'' but still, they wouldn't accept me.
To a certain extent, a couple of years ago, i was their punch bag for sarcasm, etc. Somehow, unexplainably, the managed to make out that i watched Pokemon (which, strangly enough, i didn't. This was also before they knew i had the games). They'd completely humiliate me for something that they'd made up themselves. So if I proved them right by now admitting to liking Pokemon, i'd be shunned for the rest of my life (in the area, anyways). So, i believe that Pokemon is not childish, but i still can't admit to it.
*sad*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back