• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Adventures - Chuang-Yi Mistranslations

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
Years
  • NOTE: PLEASE, FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, STOP QUOTING THIS POST. It's rather disturbing and annoying at the same time... especially if you're only going to have one sentence in your reply. Thank you.

Okay, so basically, this is a thread of compilation of all the mistranslations that Chuang-Yi did to the Pokemon Adventures. Yes, you heard it right. Mistranslations. This will be a guide for those people who might come in here in the thread and ask "wtf is this... why is this like this and so on, and blah blah blah..."

So, I'll start from Volume 15, since well, this is what I currently own... up to possibly 26. If there are anymore you spot, just post them here and I'll add them to this post. =P

Volume 8-14:
    1. Goldenrod City is translated into Cherrygrove City for some strange reason (forgot the Volume, but I read this somewhere)
    2. Kurt's line: "Don't make fun of my PokeBalls" - not really a mistake, but everyone wishes it was only "Balls". =P

Volume 10:
    1. Spinarak's name is listed as "Arachnet"
    2. Graveler is listed under its German name "Georok"
    3. Igglybuff is misspelled as "Iggrybuff"
    4. In the chapter listing "Skarmory" is listed as "Skarory". This is, however, just a single error, as they spell Skarmory's name correctly in every other places.
    5. Chapter 121 is "VS Corasola", they misspell Corsola's name all the time.
    6. Chapter 125 is named "VS Paralyzes" Paralyzes? Shouldn't it be Misdreavus?

Volume 15:
    1. Pecha Berries are spelled as Peacha
    2. Gaby and Ty's names are translated to "Maryanne and Tyler" (applicable to all volumes they appear)

Volume 16:
    1. Tabitha's and Courtney's name are translated to "Mitch" and "Marge", possibly to make all the names of the Magma admins start with "M".
    2. Shelly's and Matt's name are translated to "Angie" and "Ark", possibly to make all the names of the Aqua admins to start with "A".

Volume 17:
    1. Wanda's name is translated to "Wallene".
    2. Professor Cozmo's name is translated to "Professor Starstone".

Volume 19:
    1. The book mentions that Kyogre and Groudon are sleeping inside the Cave of Origin (isn't this in Sootopolis?), which is also the destination of Ruby and Sapphire to go after Archie and Maxie, when in fact, they are on the Seafloor Cavern.

Volume 20:
    1. Not a translating error, but rather a publishing error, I am not sure if this is applicable to new ones, but in my copy, Chuang Yi mixes up pages 176-185, Chapter 249 (you won't notice this because I manually fixed the scans. =P)

Volume 22:
    1. Silver narrates that the Mask Children were brought to Hoenn, when in fact, it was in Johto.

Volume 27:
    1. The Regis (Regice, Regirock, Registeel) are mentioned to come from Johto, not Hoenn.
    ---------

I'll add more if I get hold of my books, since I have school @ this point. =P Or whatever you guys haven't told in this thread yet... XD

Yes guys, the more contributions, the better. Thanks to Maxim for contributing so far. =P

Last edited:

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • Yeah, not much of a biggie right?

Least they got Storc wrong. and named it to Sird, because storc sounds scary

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
  • Yeah, not much of a biggie right?

Least they got Storc wrong. and named it to Sird, because storc sounds scary

Well, to be honest, there's no such thing as Storc, it was only made up by Coronis to westernize the Japanese names for the SPP readers. =P

So in simple terms, the names Sird, Carr and Orm are considered official (in the Bulbapedia anyways) until Viz or any US publication decides to release a US version of the Pokemon Adventures. Which will never happen btw. =P

Yes, I know there are more mistranslations, I'll put the additional ones as soon as I get home... XD

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Volume 8 - Chapter 101

Not exactly a mistake but something I can't forgive them.

Kurt's line: "Don't make fun of my PokeBalls"

Why Poke? Why Poke? They had a chance to make a perfect balls joke and yet, they decided to spoil it by inserting the word "Poke". If they didn't insert that ****in' word there, we would have a quotable!

EPIC FAIL, Chuang Yi!

hoennshipperxxx

pokémonmaster in training
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Okay, so basically, this is a thread of compilation of all the mistranslations that Chuang-Yi did to the Pokemon Adventures. Yes, you heard it right. Mistranslations. This will be a guide for those people who might come in here in the thread and ask "wtf is this... why is this like this and so on, and blah blah blah..."

Okay, so I'll start from Volume 15, since well, this is what I currently own... up to possibly 26. If there are anymore you spot, just post them here and I'll add them to this post. =P

Volume 8-14:
    1. Goldenrod City is translated into Cherrygrove City for some strange reason (forgot the Volume, but I read this somewhere)

Volume 15:
    2. Gaby and Ty's names are translated to "Maryanne and Tyler" (applicable to all volumes they appear)

Volume 16:
    1. Tabitha's and Courtney's name are translated to "Mitch" and "Marge", possibly to make all the names of the Magma admins start with "M".
    2. Shelly's and Matt's name are translated to "Angie" and "Ark", possibly to make all the names of the Aqua admins to start with "A".

Volume 17:

---------

I'll add more if I get hold of my books, since I have school @ this point. =P Or whatever you guys haven't told in this thread yet... XD

lol i didnt read volumes 8-14 but the mistranslation is funny XD
    peacha? didn't notice but also funny XP
    yea in the games it's gaby and ty but is it supposed to be gaby and ty in the manga too? i didnt even know that the manga was based on the games...
    again same story, but ur right i noticed that it all starts with M or A
    ok...? i think cuz wally and wanda look alike so the names may look alike too :P
    there's low difference in cozmo and starstone but yea it's a mistranslation.

i have no problem with the mistranslations but now that i hear them its funny

Mileyangel

Inuyasha Fan
    Years
  • Volume 8 - Chapter 101

Why Poke? Why Poke? They had a chance to make a perfect balls joke and yet, they decided to spoil it by inserting the word "Poke". If they didn't insert that ****in' word there, we would have a quotable!

EPIC FAIL, Chuang Yi!

Hah......then Pokespecial would be MUCH more respected.

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
  • lol i didnt read volumes 8-14 but the mistranslation is funny XD
    peacha? didn't notice but also funny XP
    yea in the games it's gaby and ty but is it supposed to be gaby and ty in the manga too? i didnt even know that the manga was based on the games...
    again same story, but ur right i noticed that it all starts with M or A
    ok...? i think cuz wally and wanda look alike so the names may look alike too :P
    there's low difference in cozmo and starstone but yea it's a mistranslation.

i have no problem with the mistranslations but now that i hear them its funny

Yes, interesting, isn't it? BTW, avoid quoting the first post, especially if they're long because it takes up space. =P

Volume 8 - Chapter 101

EPIC FAIL, Chuang Yi!

Lol, I'll add that for the sake of comedy... =P

Hah......then Pokespecial would be MUCH more respected.

Yes. =P

Oh yeah, I read somewhere in Volume 27 that they mistranslated that the Regis come from Johto. Lawl, I must put that on the first post. XD

Stuff like these should be pointed out. Oh yeah one more, weren't the Mask Children bought to Johto, not Hoenn? Another mistranslation from them.... things like this, you guys should put in this thread. XD

chamo-chan

Plush maker :U
    Years
  • Okay, so basically, this is a thread of compilation of all the mistranslations that Chuang-Yi did to the Pokemon Adventures. Yes, you heard it right. Mistranslations. This will be a guide for those people who might come in here in the thread and ask "wtf is this... why is this like this and so on, and blah blah blah..."

Okay, so I'll start from Volume 15, since well, this is what I currently own... up to possibly 26. If there are anymore you spot, just post them here and I'll add them to this post. =P

Volume 8-14:

Volume 15:

Volume 16:

Volume 17:

Volume 22:
    1. Silver narrates that the Mask Children were brought to Hoenn, when in fact, it was in Johto.

Volume 27:
    1. The Regis (Regice, Regirock, Registeel) are mentioned to come from Johto, not Hoenn
    ---------

XD;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I noticed that too.
    Those mistranslations are funny to read.
    (or at least for me, I don't know...)

But, some I haven't really noticed..like the Pecha Berry one.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Those mistakes will be a bit more scandalous. They are all from Volume 10.

Look at Volume 10, the page which lists all Crystal's caught Pokemon
    - Spinarak's name is listed as "Arachnet" (what's funny? that it's referred to as its real name in Chapter 129)
    - Graveler is listed under its German name "Georok"
    - Igglybuff is misspelled as "Iggrybuff" (Engrish?)
    - In the chapter listing "Skarmory" is listed as "Skarory". This is, however, just a single error, as they spell Skarmory's name correctly in every other places.
    - Chapter 121 is "VS Corasola", they misspell Corsola's name all the time.
    - Chapter 125 is named "VS Paralyzes" Paralyzes? Shouldn't it be Misdreavus?

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Those mistakes will be a bit more scandalous. They are all from Volume 10.

- Spinarak's name is listed as "Arachnet" (what's funny? that it's referred to as its real name in Chapter 129)
    - In the chapter listing "Skarmory" is listed as "Skarory". This is, however, just a single error, as they spell Skarmory's name correctly in every other places.

those mistakes sound so easy to see!
    why didn't anybody notice them?? :O
    don't blame me i haven't read volume 10 yet '-.-

chamo-chan

Plush maker :U
    Years

Heeheehee, I remember that...
    - why didn't I point it out earlier...?.-

Years
  • Well...well...

I noticed a lot of those in the GSC arc. It was quite a time trying to find out where they were with the Pokedex-based map being reversed, and the names of cities&towns being mistranslated. Had to look into Bulbapedia for help.

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years

XD

Wow, that's a lot. I added them btw. I think of all the Saga, GSC arc gets the most errors, probably because the translators have no knowledge about the world of Pokemon. I think it's eventually lessened but there are still naming substitutes as mentioned above. XD

Oh yeah, there's also one more thing... I'll put it up on the first post. XD

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    hhmm i dont know... is this a mistranslation?

in volume 2 or 3 (dont know XP) red, blue and green sneak into saffron city for the final battle against team rocket. while red is battling lt. surge, blue battles koga.
    he attacked koga with his scyther, and then blue says: oh! a grimer!
    but isn't the pokemon that koga uses a MUK?

i think i have another mistranslation...
    in volume 4, page 12 of chapter 43, yellow says:

but pika's weak against water pokémon...

but pika is an electric type, so he's STRONG against water, isn't he?
    or did i understand it wrong? :S

i'm back with another may-be-a-mistranslation.
    you see, in volume 4, page 8 of chapter 45, bill said:

his happened before... with pika and seadra...!

but shouldn't it be: THIS happened instead of HIS happened?

never thought i would find so many XD cuz heres another one :P
    in volume 6, page 7 of chapter 66, prof. oak said:

of course...
    he went probably
    went there because
    he learned about
    the attacks!

ehm... he went probably went there?
    it should be: he probably went there...

Last edited:
    Back