• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please Rate! Need help tweeking this team :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2011
    So late last night I was on Youtube trying to see what other info I could find in making a great competitive team. I ran across PokeMoshPit - Guide to Team Building for Competitive Pokemon by Faladran. The video was very insightful and offered some info that I don't recall reading on other forums or guides. He explain that the 6 pokemon should consist of the following roles:

1. Lead
    2. Lead Support
    3. Core#1
    4. Core#2
    5. Core#3
    6. Revenge Killer

I found the core part of the video very interesting. I did some research (as usual) and found the following most used cores(in no particular order):

Grass/Water/Fire, Flying/Fighting/Rock, Ground/Poison/Grass, Dragon/Water/Steel, Dragon/Steel/Fighting, Normal/Ghost/Psychic, Dragon/Normal/Steel

With this new-found knowledge I decide that, okay maybe now I can make a great team.

My Team At A Glance

deoxys-defense.png
    bronzong.png
    salamence.png
    magnezone.png
    scrafty.png
    ditto.png

The Strategy (Maybe)

deoxys-defense.png

Bulky DNA@Leftovers/Lum Berry Relaxed Nature
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
    Ability: Pressure
    Spikes
    Recover
    Taunt
    Ice Beam/Toxic

I decided on Deoxys-D as my lead to set up hazards and taunt so my opponent can't set up. I did run into an issue while trying this out on wifi which was lead brelooms and whimsicotts which is why I think a Lum Berry would be the better choice over leftovers seeing as how he does have a recovery move. I had Toxic but I switched it out for Ice Beam to be able to take down those pesky grass leads. I'm also considering protect instead of taunt.

bronzong.png

Ding Dong@Light Clay Sassy Nature
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD IVs: 0 Spe
    Ability: Heatproof
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Gyro Ball
    Stealth Rocks

This is my support lead. Should I need to switch out from my Bulky DNA, this guy can at least get some rocks up or set up barriers. 0 Spe IVs is necessary of course for gyro ball to be at its strongest. I think the EV spread decent but let me know if another spread is better. I went for heatproof over levitate because of the HP Fire that I seem to run into quite often on wifi.

salamence.png

Red Wings@Life Orb Naive Nature
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA /252 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate
    Dance Dance
    Outrage
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast

Earlier I mentioned about the core of a team. Well I decide to try out Dragon/Steel/Fighting core. I decide on this core because imo it offers one of the best synergy for a tri-core. I went with Salamence because aside from it being a dragon type its also flying so it will be immune to the ground attacks that steel pokemon are weak against whilst resisting steels weakness to fire. While testing this on wifi I was disappointed that it really didn't stand a chance against scarfed priority fighting types. Maybe someone can suggest a better EV spread for him, a bit more defensive. The moveset is just your standard mix DD set, nothing real special.

magnezone.png

Bang Zoom@Leftovers Timid Nature
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Substitute
    Hidden Power fire
    Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    Flash Cannon

Second member of the core. He will be covering all 3 of Salamence's weaknesses, as well as Scrafty's weaknesses. His Magnet Pull ability coupled with HP Fire is invaluable to get rid of Scizor and Skarmory. Substitute is set up on switch in since its likely not to be broken if up against a Scizor or Skarmory. Flash Cannon for a STAB and I went with Volt Switch over T-bolt to be able to switch out in a pinch.

scrafty.png

Hood Chick@Life Orb Impish Nature
    EVs: 252HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Bulk Up
    Crunch
    Ice Punch
    Drain Punch

Last Core member and my favorite! I know your used to seeing the DD instead of Bulk Up but I really love this set and decided on a defensive EV spread. It was hard to chose between Moxie or Shed Skin (I know, I know it should be cake) but I in the end Shed Skin won. Someone is either trying to Poison or WOW you so Shed Skin is just boss for her right about now. Haven't had any trouble on wifi with him so far but I'm still open to suggestions.

ditto.png

I.M.U@Choice Scarf Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Trait: Impostor
    Transform

I didn't believe it at first but WOW. Ditto really is an awesome revenge killer. Every time I switched him in he got a 1HKO! He's just Ditto so dunno what can be changed.

Well there it is! So you know I've also considered Priority Hitmontop and Guts Machamp in place of Scrafty and Dragonite in place of Salamence. There is something about this team though that I can't seem to put my finger on yet but it's not as strong on wifi as I'd like it to be which is why I hoping for some great critiquing from you guys. Thanks so much!

>>BUMP<< I really need some help

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Well, your team doesn't seem to have any outstanding weaknesses besides what each Pokemon is weak to on an individual basis. However, your team also doesn't have any outstanding resistances..

Heatproof isn't too great for Bronzong. It sounds like a good idea, but it's actually very poor in practice. I mean, any good opponent is going to be able to tell that they're fire attack isn't doing that much damage. Which would you rather have, a resistance to a type or an immunity?

I used to run Shed Skin on my Scrafty, but I've since traded that for Moxie + Lum Berry. Bulk Up and the boost from Moxie is great.

Dragonite will offer you more in Defense than Salamence. Ice Beam will only 2HKO Dragonite. Plus, you can run a mixed set and get the added benefit of ExtremeSpeed, so you might like that.

Hope this helped a bit!

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2011
    >>Bump<< Need more rates and thank you alexia I like you bronzong advice and having an immunity is of course better :)

Back