• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Kanto 3D

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Sorry if I sound pessimistic or something. I do not think your idea will not workout as expected. Here are my reasons: the project is too memory consuming, both file size and ram. Let me explain why; as far as you are "copying and pasting" models from your template to your actual game, that adds a significant amount of data to your program. By the time you map out couple cities, you might go well over 100 mbs; I am not too sure about the numbers, but they do go up exponentially. That does happen in professional games, but they minimize it by having minimum number of individual models. They do not explicitly copy the model over and over again, but reference it back to the model. Its hard to explain without going too far into programming, but you can think of it as a bracket for sporting events. The teams may appear multiple times on the bracket, but they are the same team, not copies of the said teams. Kind of confusing I know, but the names reference back to the physical team, not copy the physical teams to fit the roster. Now going to the second reason: the program will not be effiecient and will hog up memory, quite possibly lead to a memory leak. The reasoning behind that is the lack of culling; I am not aware if Blender performs culling for you, but I am assuming Blender does not do that. Culling is basically not drawing the models not in view of the camera. The addition of the process of culling the models can dramatically affect the program's performance; in the same way, the lack of culling will do the antithesis. Just food for thought; not trying to discourage you, but just pointing out the flaws of the method you are using to create the game.

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Um for one how did you 'try the game' if the game isn't even out I have no demo and have barely tested the game myself.
    And to your question you will have all characters that are in the game.

Thank you all for your support and such.
    ~rock. game dev. team

Sorry, was thinking about a different 3D Kanto game I viewed early!
    Sorry!
    Still anticipating this because I love the idea of being able to explore one of my favorite worlds more realisticly!!

rockeymon

Real life Silver Shirubaa
    Years
  • Sorry if I sound pessimistic or something. I do not think your idea will not workout as expected. Here are my reasons: the project is too memory consuming, both file size and ram. Let me explain why; as far as you are "copying and pasting" models from your template to your actual game, that adds a significant amount of data to your program. By the time you map out couple cities, you might go well over 100 mbs; I am not too sure about the numbers, but they do go up exponentially. That does happen in professional games, but they minimize it by having minimum number of individual models. They do not explicitly copy the model over and over again, but reference it back to the model. Its hard to explain without going too far into programming, but you can think of it as a bracket for sporting events. The teams may appear multiple times on the bracket, but they are the same team, not copies of the said teams. Kind of confusing I know, but the names reference back to the physical team, not copy the physical teams to fit the roster. Now going to the second reason: the program will not be effiecient and will hog up memory, quite possibly lead to a memory leak. The reasoning behind that is the lack of culling; I am not aware if Blender performs culling for you, but I am assuming Blender does not do that. Culling is basically not drawing the models not in view of the camera. The addition of the process of culling the models can dramatically affect the program's performance; in the same way, the lack of culling will do the antithesis. Just food for thought; not trying to discourage you, but just pointing out the flaws of the method you are using to create the game.

Well I think it will work fine since the real data that you see when you are looking at the individual maps is the packed stuff I am not copying and pasting either I am importing each map as I make it and each model will be its own scene in blender (seeing as I have finaly found out about this function xD) which may take up some data but I am not worried once it is made there will be a warning of how big the file is and truthfully in my oppinion if you have an issue with how big the file is then open your eyes and realize that 3D is worth it.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Well I think it will work fine since the real data that you see when you are looking at the individual maps is the packed stuff I am not copying and pasting either I am importing each map as I make it and each model will be its own scene in blender (seeing as I have finaly found out about this function xD) which may take up some data but I am not worried once it is made there will be a warning of how big the file is and truthfully in my oppinion if you have an issue with how big the file is then open your eyes and realize that 3D is worth it.
    Well it seemed like you were copying and pasting individual models onto the map files since you had a "tile set" I see no point for a tile set if you are not using the same models over and over again. Did you think about my second point? I don't use Blender for the Blender game engine, I just use it for 3d modelling, so IDK if Blender culls. If you do not care about the file size, Im not complaining, but seriously consider how effiecient it would be during runtime. Don't take this the wrong way, Im trying to help, not bashing on you or anything.

rockeymon

Years
  • I understand what you are saying and I will look into it but the decent 3D engines out there cost money, and I don't have the money to buy one. Now I have heard that Xna is good and If I remember correctly there is a free version of it but the problem that comes with that is XNA has its one scripting language which means I lose my Scripter.
    Either way I will figure something out :)

rockeymon

Years
  • We are officialy closed off of this forum ie. I will not be updating anymore. The project is not completly canceled seeing as my scripter will still be writing scripts but as far as the graphics and such I can't do it and so far all of my graphic design volunteers have completly ignored me accept one so we will not be running until I have a better team. Then maybe by that point in time we will have this up in running the way it should :)
    ~rock. Game Dev. Team

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    I saw it coming, you jumped into a full 3D recreation of a pretty complex game, oh well.

rockeymon

Years
  • Well it isn't Dead its just I can't do all of the modeling on my own and my scripter will be screwed whenever we implement the battle system and him and my friend both live in UK which is 12 hour time differences so when I am getting on they are getting off so it is hard for us to communicate.
    For now I will call this on hold while I look for a team but do not fill bad there will still be work done on it just don't expect any updates until I have a team and am able to get good progress done on it :(

Back