• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Create a Rom Base Game

soulryu

Pirate Trainer
Years
Tileset game

How to play
-You can post 1 tileset (Example a grass tile)
-Another person can post a different grass tile
-I will say *End of Grass submission*
-From there you can vote on which should be added on the rombase
-Then we move on to the next tile

Rules
-Ask permission before posting someone else's tile sheet or modifying it to fit the style of someone else's tiles
-Anyone can contribute
-You cannot post twice
-Remember to write the credit for the artist's work
-House's and building are the last tile to be posted and I will write when people can start posting them and not. I will write it when after all other tiles are done.
-I will write "New rombase" to restart the game
-The rombase can be use afterward by anyone I will post the download link

Work so Far
-Firered ROM​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
This is more like a resource so I'm moving it to the Resources section,

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
It's not really much of a game if its just you doing all the work, is it?

Why not have the next person in line add a new tile/feature/whatever to the game, and then post a .ips? Then the person after that would simply take the latest patch, and add their own feature. It would definitely be more of a community project then, and would probably gain more interest.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
It's not really much of a game if its just you doing all the work, is it?

Why not have the next person in line add a new tile/feature/whatever to the game, and then post a .ips? Then the person after that would simply take the latest patch, and add their own feature. It would definitely be more of a community project then, and would probably gain more interest.

Gonna second this. It would make it easier on you and give the contributors more freedom to add cool tweaks here and there. It'd be cool to see what the community will make when they're only allowed a few contributions at a time. Of course if you really do want just a tileset patch, then that'd still be interesting. It'd just have less contributors since not everyone does tiles.

Either way, soulryu, you should choose which ROM you want to work with in the OP. If you're going to lead the project, you should set the baseline.

soulryu

Pirate Trainer
Years
The point of this is to create a rom base with new tiles that afterwards anyone can use. I don't mind doing all the work but someone must post a tile sheet to get started. Tiles Only!

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
I can see this going two ways, and both are probably not good results.
The first way is that everyone picks the same artist, to try make a solid style, and it becomes like every other ROM base, which focuses on one artist.
And, the other way is that every picks artists with such a rapidly different style that the whole thing become something that looks displeasing to view, let alone use, or play.

The first way is that everyone picks the same artist, to try make a solid style, and it becomes like every other ROM base, which focuses on one artist.
And, the other way is that every picks artists with such a rapidly different style that the whole thing become something that looks displeasing to view, let alone use, or play.

Years

I actually like "the other way". Sure, it may look strange and even displeasing but I don't think it matters that much. If someone was looking for a specific rombase, he/she surely wouldn't search for it here.

Also, why not change the rules a bit? What about allowing people to modify the rom in ANY way AS LONG AS it ADDS something NEW. For example, new pokemon, new move, new ability, maybe some unique ASM routines?

soulryu

Pirate Trainer
Years
Since many people are confuse here i'll change the rules abit.
-You can post 1 tileset (Example a grass tile)
-Another person can post a different grass tile
-I will say *End of Grass submission*
-From there you can vote on which should be added on the rombase
-Then we move on to the next tile

anonyboy

Pokemon Aerial Emerald Creator&Pokemon Hybrid Co-C
Years

Well we could define a style: E.G. Only Contribute tiles that have a 5th gen/5th gen styled feel.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I suggest we add or make tiles after another while completing a whole set. After finishing one set for example; a set of nature tiles are completed. Then insert it into a rom, then this game is more like a resource project. If ever there will be a vote, there should be only limited number of tiles and same type of tiles. So I'm saying if there are too many participants too present their tiles, a vote can somehow be useless. BUT just saying.

Anyways, shall we start?

Back