• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • Agents_of_SHIELD_logo.jpg

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., or simply Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is an American television series created for ABC by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, based on the Marvel Comics organization S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division). The series is produced by ABC Studios, Marvel Television, and Mutant Enemyand is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sharing continuity with the films in that franchise. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. revolves around the character of Phil Coulson, with Clark Gregg reprising the role."

| Premise |
    "Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world."
    ~Wikipedia.org​

So lemme ask you?

Have you seen it? If so did you like it? What didn't you like about it and what would you change?

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I don't really know what to say. I loved the show, but not in the way I usually love shows. I mean, it's a super hero show, by Marvel, so it couldn't possibly get any cheesier. But it was the best kind of cheesy, haha.

I loved the character, loved the episodes, and overall am very looking forward to next week!

Years
  • I'm happy to see more Coulson, certainly, and the other characters seem to have potential.

The pilot as a whole... I dunno. It's very Joss Whedon. I have a love-hate relationship with the stuff he does and this show, which is saturated with Whedon humor, seems to be more of a Buffy kind of show than, say, Firefly. At least in tone. It seems to have a really big budget and the freedom to do a lot with the Marvel universe, and I like that, but I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I was hoping I would.

T!M

Years
  • How close do you think the show will stick to the current Marvel Movie continuity and do you think the events in the show will be used in future movies in current timeline of the movies.

(Captain America, Thor and Iron Man is the current cross-over continuity. Raimi's Spider-Man and movies pre Iron Man movies are not included in this timeline.)

Years
  • Since Whedon did Avergers and is going to do the sequel it would only make sense for him not only to keep continuity, but to do a little background and setup for the second movie with this show.

I imagine it's going to be continuous with only the Avergers movies though, otherwise things could get really out of hand.

Echidna

Years
  • How close do you think the show will stick to the current Marvel Movie continuity and do you think the events in the show will be used in future movies in current timeline of the movies.

(Captain America, Thor and Iron Man is the current cross-over continuity. Raimi's Spider-Man and movies pre Iron Man movies are not included in this timeline.)

According to recent interviews, yes it will preserve continuity within the MCU. Samuel Jackson said that he'd be dropping by to appear on the show at some point, and Whedon confirmed that he has ideas on bringing in some of the Avengers in limited quantities throughout the show, as to not overdo it. A few of them have even expressed interest in showing up.

T!M

Years
  • Lol. Ha. For some reason I thought this was a low budget show, you know? But if the director (or whatever) of Marvel's The Avenger is running it. Then it can't be too terrible.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had Joss Whedon's fingerprint all over the pilot episode. The witty dialogue, the "Scooby gang" factor, and even some cheese, albeit good cheese. Needless to say, I loved every bit of it. What I love about Joss Whedon and his work is that no matter the setting and no matter the story, it all comes down to the characters. Which he so clearly pointed out when Coulson said, "Nobody's nobody." Already, I want to spend more time getting to know these characters, learning their backgrounds, and seeing them get fleshed out some more. Coulson, Skye, Fitz, Simmons, and Agent May are so far my favorites. So basically everyone except Agent Ward, who will need to grow on me some more. Especially Fitz and Simmons though; these two are like the Xander and Willow of Buffy, they bounce right off one another so well.

This was probably the most hyped up show of the summer, and for me, it lived up to it. It did everything a pilot needed to do and then some. I also appreciate the fact that they didn't blatantly explain how Coulson lived after his death in The Avengers. It would have felt too cheap if it had been so easily explained, and Joss Whedon is anything but. It does seem there's a bit of mystery behind his resurrection though that not even Coulson is aware of, and that's something I'm interested in finding out.

I do wonder if Emily VanCamp (currently the lead of ABC's Revenge) will make a guest appearance on the show some time. Since she'll be playing the role of Sharon Carter, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it would be pretty cool if she made an appearance in a future episode . That's if she can find the time in between filming Revenge of course.

Also, I'd just like to point out, Chloe Bennet has beautiful hair and if I were a girl I'd be totally jealous. Can't wait to see the rest of this show. I can easily see it climbing its way up to becoming one of my favorites this season.

Lol. Ha. For some reason I thought this was a low budget show, you know? But if the director (or whatever) of Marvel's The Avenger is running it. Then it can't be too terrible.
    Have you even seen the episode yet? The effects were pretty stellar. Not to mention, this is probably the most expensive show currently in production of any broadcast network show, plus the amount of money ABC is spending just promoting it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I don't really know what to say. I loved the show, but not in the way I usually love shows. I mean, it's a super hero show, by Marvel, so it couldn't possibly get any cheesier. But it was the best kind of cheesy, haha.
    It seems more science fiction-secret agent than anything superhero related. I think that's the only way you can make a show revolving around the Marvel universe and have it be cost effective. Though if the ratings keep up, I would imagine some budget busting episodes once in a while.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    COULSON LIVES!!

Yeah, I watched it. It was fantastic! It's good to see a decent live action show in a super hero universe. Also, so glad Cobie Smulders made an appearance in the pilot as well. There's was some Joss Whedon signature in it for sure, but the tone seems different than anything else he's ever done. It's not too Buffy, not too Angel, hell, not even too Firefly like. Besides, there's only so much Joss Whedon you can put in an already clearly defined universe.

Echidna

Years
  • Hey, who saw tonight's episode? Amazing, really.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I've only seen the first episode (airs Fridays in UK and I can't be bothered watching it illegally just for the sake of a couple of days) and it was okay. I don't think a pilot has ever been good to me really so the show still has a lot of potential, but I'm not going to hail it immediately off of that episode.

What do we think about Coulson being alive by the way? There has to be some huge plot around the reason for it nearing the end of the season I imagine.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I enjoyed the second episode even more than the Pilot, and I liked the pilot episode a lot. I hope the show can keep up this kind of momentum as the season goes by. What really stood out to me though was the development between the team, and I feel like we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of just how much depth and story can be put into these characters yet. Which again, is the beautiful thing about Joss Whedon, he centers in on his characters, will make you expect one thing, spin it around, and take it to a whole other level. I'm slowly warming up to Ward, but the eventual romance between him and Skye that they're building up to will definitely have to sell it as the show goes on, which I'm not too worried about.

Side note: May, Fitz, and Simmons are like the BEST. Seriously, you can't say otherwise. Also, more nods to the Avengers movie. I love it!

Spoiler:

Years
  • I agree that the second episode was a lot better than the pilot. (And, incidentally, I read that the pilot had a $14 million budget!) There's a lot better interaction among the characters and I'm looking forward to new episodes a lot more now.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I've just got round to watching the second episode and it was pretty good, all the characters seem good except the typical tough guy one (can't even remember his name, took a bullet in the episode). Fitz & Simmons in particular are pretty cool.

Loved the Nick Fury cameo.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Something in the third episode makes me wonder.

Spoiler:

I'm liking all the characters a little more now. The nerdy duo of course need more development, but I expect that'll come eventually. Really impressed with all that they've done with their budget again. This is the kind of thing I like to see in television. The attention to detail this show has is great.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It's very telling when each episode seems to improve upon the one before it. The visuals were especially great this episode. I also agree Fitz-Simmons needs some character development, and I'm sure it'll come soon enough, but I can't help but love them. I could listen to them talk back and forth about science all day.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Spoiler:

The third episode continues the trend of improvement, I think as we get to the latter stages of this season we'll be watching a really great show.

Years
  • Is it too early to start speculating who's going to get killed off? It is a Whedon show after all.

My money is on Skye since she is the only non-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and if she dies the team can keep going without her. Or if they don't want to get rid of her, if she's killed then we can learn what happened to Coulson when he was brought back because they can do the same thing with Skye and we'll see it firsthand.

Back