• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Topical Debate: The Purpose of Video Games

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Video games have been around for a long time. Some of our parents and grandparents can recollect playing them in their youth. But have you, your parents or grandparents ever really thought about the purpose of video games? What they're made for and more importantly, why everyone plays them.

There's never been one universal reason and there probably never will. And most people have their own reasons. For playing them. So with this discussion comes two very important question I want us, here on VG, to ask ourselves and discuss with each other.

A. What do you think the overall purpose of a video game is? For challenge, for pleasure, for profession? What thoughts do you think come into play when a team of developers come together to create a game?

B. Why do you play video games? Do you play for fun? For the challenge? To relieve stress? Do you play for money (MLG or YouTube), what's your story?

We could learn a lot about the gaming world right now by asking your fellow gamer why he or she plays and it could cause a great deal of understanding between you and that person.

Check it out!

TY

Video games have different purposes. They can be educational, they can relieve stress, they can be anything. The thought people have is what kind of group of people they make their game for and what it will be about.

For me, i play games usually for fun and the challenge as i have tons of fun with a hard challenge

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Overall, I only think that the purpose of a video game is have fun when you have nothing to do, or if you like playing video games has a hobby. People have many preferences upon playing video games, like if they'd want to play casually, or if they want to constantly challenge themselves - it's up to the gamer.

I think when team developers come to think of a new video game, they have to keep in mind the target audience, that is, who should they market the video game more towards. I mean, it's.. pretty bad if they made really violent video games for kids under 6 years old, aha. Plus, I believe they have to think about the playability. Can the only play alone? With a group of people? That sort of thing. Another thing is, if the video game is actually playable, as in, are the controls easy to understand, like most video games? For instance, most kids are comfortable using the 'A' button to jump, because, well, the majority of gamers grew up playing Super Mario Bros., and games of the like. If they made the 'B' button to jump, then.. that can be sort of confusing.

Usually I just play video games for fun, and to pass the time! I don't really play on competitions or anything like that because, I don't really devote much time honing my skills on video games towards a more professional level. Well, if it counts, I devote time on improving my gaming abilities over at League of Legends. I aim to climb the rank ladder and well, maybe reach Diamond someday. That'd be a cool accomplishment! I prefer video games that you can play with friends like Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Mario Party, and so on, but, single player games like Tales, Fire Emblem, and some other loose RPGs are really cool to play too.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
What do you think the overall purpose of a video game is? For challenge, for pleasure, for profession?
Video games have been a form of entertainment since the beginning, and they should stay as a form of entertainment because they stand head and shoulders above other genres in that department. Video games can be enlightening experiences, but most of the industry is filled with talentless hack writers that weren't good enough to create books or movies. There are even less writers that understand how to properly use the unique elements of a video game in order to create a much more enthralling story.
What thoughts do you think come into play when a team of developers come together to create a game?
Usually logistics related matters. The core concept of a game is created by the auteur a while before actual development starts, and I can imagine that for AAA games the core concept stays the same due to sheer size and impracticality of changing the entire game mid-development. On the other hand, smaller development teams seem more prone to constantly change and evolve their game.

Not that I'm a industry veteran or anything like that mind you. Just throwing my ignorant opinions out there.
Why do you play video games? Do you play for fun? For the challenge? To relieve stress? Do you play for money (MLG or YouTube), what's your story?
Mostly escapism, nostalgia, and cheap thrills. I occasionally play games to gain a greater understanding of video games(the individual game, and as a whole), and I rarely play games for story related purposes, for reasons stated above.

Back