• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

help me new

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2012
    Hi I have followed pokemon on Nintendo since I was a kid and like it a lot However I have never played the card game which I am interested in attempting so I was wondering what do I need to play to get started I dont want to spend a whole lot till I see if I like it but like I said I dont know anything about the card game so any info will help and is there a beginner kit or anything

Years
  • There is actually a "beginner's kit" out there. They call it a Trainer Kit, and the current one is the Black & White trainer kit, which features Zoroark and Krookodile, I think. The decks in that kit are "ready-to-play", meaning that they're set up so that the booklet included can show you exactly how to play the game using the decks as they are when you open the package. You're meant to learn while playing against someone else who is new when using it, but you can certainly play against yourself to learn how.

The Trainer Kits are usually about US$12.

There are also tutorials on how to play at www.pokemontcg.com/tutorials

Years
  • Yeah I'd recommend getting a trainer kit and grabbing a buddy to play against. It's the best way to get a fundamental understanding of the basic game play.

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
    Years
  • I bought one of those "trainer kits" and had a hard time teaching myself. I suggest joining your local Pokemon league, where people who play the card game a lot can help you learn.
    If you go the official Pokemon website, you can find a page where it shows the nearest Pokemon league meeting places and their meeting times. I found one hosted at a comic book store in a nearby mall at 2:00 on Saturday. You can also battle people on your Pokemon video games (warning- most people there don't have anything older than gen IV).
    The only down side is that you never know who's going to be there. It could be anyone ages 5-25. And I know that my Pokemon league is more of a Yu-Gi-Oh league with a few Pokemon people there. I can tell you that the average age group of the people at my Pokemon league is ages 10-14. Which works OK for me, but may not for you.
    Anyway, best wishes and have fun playing!

Years
  • Going to a league is good and all if there is one near you but it's just so much easier to grab a buddy and play together. That's how I learnt the basics anyway. If you are theoretically minded then you can read the rule book to grasp the fundamental concepts but if you're more practical then you'll want to get some games in but ideally you'd play a few games and if/when you get stuck, you could refer to the rules to figure out the dispute.

K1ngQu33n

Poke K1ng
    Years
  • Like everyone has been saying, Get the "trainer kit". It's the best for you and for other starters. But I also recommend if you wan't to get really into Pokemon TCG, Than I would recommend you getting a tin as well. The tin comes with 1 Level X card, And I think 4 packages of 7 or 9 cards... I'm not sure of the packages because I have been collecting YGO cards lately.

But that tin should also come with a book of all the rules and how to get started...ETC.

I wish you good-luck and do good in battles! That's if your going to battle.

Years
  • Like everyone has been saying, Get the "trainer kit". It's the best for you and for other starters. But I also recommend if you wan't to get really into Pokemon TCG, Than I would recommend you getting a tin as well. The tin comes with 1 Level X card, And I think 4 packages of 7 or 9 cards... I'm not sure of the packages because I have been collecting YGO cards lately.

But that tin should also come with a book of all the rules and how to get started...ETC.

I wish you good-luck and do good in battles! That's if your going to battle.

Uh... Pokemon tins don't come with ANY of that stuff... except for the 4 boosters. They do come with a promo card (which no longer includes Lv. X cards, since they haven't been in print since 2009!), and 99% of the time, a figurine, and most newer tins come with a TCG Online code for the promo card in the tin, all in addition to the 4 boosters.

EDIT: Wait, I think it's actually 5 boosters.

Last edited:
    Back