• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writing habits?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
So what are your writing habits? Do you write every day for an hour, or do you write when you feel like it? Can you write anywhere, or does it have to be in a set location? Discuss!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I try to write for an hour every day. The same hour even. Right at midnight, I start writing. Of course, I say "try to" because sometimes I start later despite my best intentions. And since I like writing at midnight, I don't write every day because on Saturday nights I have to be in bed by midnight, and on Sunday nights I'm too tired to do much writing.

I always write in the same place, usually. Right at my computer desk. There, I can either write in a notebook or write on my computer. I also have access to all the research materials I might need, what with the Internet being handy. It's also the best spot for music, as I can either listen to a variety of channels on Pandora, a mix of music on Youtube, or pop in a particular CD.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm really bad at maintaining a schedule. I try to write for an hour a day, but I normally forget and then time slips away. It doesn't help that I have a 7:30 class every morning for college, so I normally head off to bed at 10:00 PM. So, if I do remember, it's normally too late to write. When I do write, it's normally spontaneous, but I'm good about writing often.

As far as location, I almost always write in my room, but if I can plug in some music, I can write anywhere.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I'm not sure how to explain it this, so I'll do my best. ><

I have this habit where I can't have my punctuation, for example, periods or commas in line. It feels more like an OCD thing, even though I don't even have OCD. I also have this habit of being repetitive with words and explaining things too. I guess that's due to having autism. Another habit is not finishing my story, which I can put the blame on having ADHD. x_x

I'm really bad at maintaining a schedule. I try to write for an hour a day, but I normally forget and then time slips away. It doesn't help that I have a 7:30 class every morning for college, so I normally head off to bed at 10:00 PM. So, if I do remember, it's normally too late to write. When I do write, it's normally spontaneous, but I'm good about writing often.

As far as location, I almost always write in my room, but if I can plug in some music, I can write anywhere.

This is me right here. You would think being autistic, I would have a schedule... but I don't. I write when I feel like writing, and I usually end up spending a full day or two trying to finish a chapter because I have to squeeze in a few frequent breaks. If not, my brain becomes overloaded, and I become completely anxious over writing too much. ><

I'm also not too worried over the location. So long as I also have music to keep me focused on the task at hand. I can't do anything without having music playing.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I write when my mood inspires me. That means I can write for hours or days on end very productively, or not at all for a couple weeks or months. I have a terrible gaming addiction that both inspires and distracts me from my writings. But, if I want to force myself into a writing mood, I'll down like four cups of coffee and stare at my MS Word files for long periods of time until something pops into my head and I start to write nonstop about it.

Bay

Years
I don't have a writing schedule because sometimes I'm not in the mood to do any writing. However, if I have a story I'm focusing on I'll try to get at least a few hundred words in a day until it's finished. I usually write in the evening as during the day I get some important stuff taken care of. As for location, I write in my room most of the time.

Years
Mostly when I feel like it which, unfortunately, hasn't been all that often nowadays. I usually have a phase where I'm super interested in at least writing something once or twice every two months or so - those are the days when I can go on writing for hours on end.

As for where I can write... home home home, preferably at night. Peace and quiet. <3

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
i write when i feel inspired, which is a lot of the time actually. i get really inspired by reading other people's works and watching tv shows and listening to music. i also write whenever its convenient for me.

how long i write is very sporadic. sometimes i get easily distracted when writing and get bored easily, other times, if i really like the idea, i can write straight for several hours.

Years
I write as much as I can, but I'm easily distracted by other things. Though, once I start writing, I don't stop. Usually I write when inspiration comes to me. And for some reason, I always get an urge to write at like... 11:00 at night... I dunno why :P

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
I'll like to write when and wherever the mood strikes me. It happens more so at night I've noticed.

I'm not sure if this falls under the habits category but I much prefer to write on paper as opposed to typing. Typing just seems too formal,rigid and permanent know what I mean?....anyone?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've heard that people like to write on paper better before. I like to write notes/ideas on paper sometimes over a document in a program, but in the end I do prefer typing it up.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Oh geez.

I have the worst writing habits... never-ever-ever-ever use me as a writing habit example.

My planning? Zip. Zilch.

Basically I write when I write. Deal with it. I can write a 10k chapter in less than four hours, and have it edited and posted, depending on my beta. It's just, when I want to write, I write, and I get things DONE. It's just how I am.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I don't have any habits of writing whatsoever 8D Mostly because I'm mostly writing joint posts in RPs, which mostly means to check if its your turn and add a few sentences if it is.

But when I'm really feeling it, I can write chapters and chapters on one same day. That's not a habit though. More of a miracle.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Well I bring around my notebook for writing when I feel it coming but that usually ends up empty even when I don't do anything, the place I write most is either during class or in my sleep.

I dream the best stories that would make the most interesting books but since I can't accurately write it down, it only works as far as I can remember something. I can't stick to a schedule to know when to write or else I will end up wasting my time.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
The unconscious is tied to the creative flow of genius. I drink coffee as soon as I wake up, and start devouring until I pour enough of my soul onto the page.

Back