• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please help me choose an OS =D

Zet

Years
  • TBH, OSX is NOT available, Installing Mac OS X on non-Apple labeled hardware is strictly against the EULA, and is therefore, Illegal. Not to mention getting it to run on an AMD brand CPU requires even further modification. To get it to run properly you would have to know your way around the Unix Architecture to install it without more than a few errors.(and since speaking or advising someone about doing something that is illegal is not allowed here, I suggest you drop it)

Also to be honest, Windows 7 is one of the most stable OS right now that I've tried and is certainly just as stable, if not moreso, than Windows Vista SP0 was. (minus the drivers headache)
    yet Apple hardware requires windows hardware to run windows, who knew? So really there isn't any issues in destroying the EULA. Also Windows 7 RC1 gave me BSoD bootup screen, unlike Vista SP0 where I had no problems at all

Windows 7 isn't Beta anymore, it's in RC stage now.

I've been running Windows 7 ever since the beta, and it's been just as stable as XP SP3 and Vista were for me. I'd choose 7 over XP or Vista any day, mainly because of how smooth Aero is, even though I've got incredibly crappy integrated Intel graphics.

I've run OSX86 before. It actually run well on my Inspiron E1501 I had at the time. Too bad it got stolen.
    I do hope you're joking about it being more stable than XP SP3. Beta's and RC's aren't really trustworthy as they can wipe all data off a harddrive if something goes wrong

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    I do hope you're joking about it being more stable than XP SP3. Beta's and RC's aren't really trustworthy as they can wipe all data off a harddrive if something goes wrong
    Nope, I'm not joking. Been running it since it was released, upgraded to the RC from the Beta (which was disabled and you had to change some things yourself to make it possible), and my only problem is that VBA disables Aero for some reason when you open up a ROM.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Windows 7 isn't Beta anymore, it's in RC stage now.

I've been running Windows 7 ever since the beta, and it's been just as stable as XP SP3 and Vista were for me. I'd choose 7 over XP or Vista any day, mainly because of how smooth Aero is, even though I've got incredibly crappy integrated Intel graphics.

I've run OSX86 before. It actually run well on my Inspiron E1501 I had at the time. Too bad it got stolen.

RC is still a beta until it's decided that it's ready for RTM.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Release candidates are generally feature-complete and relatively stable. Having said that, claiming that the Windows 7 RC is as stable as XP SP3 or even Vista is absurd. Pre-release software is pre-release for a reason; it might work just fine, or it might not work at all. There's no reason to use pre-release software when there are stable alternatives available. Most computers will come bundled either with Vista or XP; don't bother "upgrading" to Windows 7 pre-release if those work fine. If you do end up working with Windows 7, at the very least keep regular backups of your data on an external hard drive.

Years
  • Look, different OSs meet different needs of different people, so no one OS is totally superior to another.

With those specs, I assume you'll be playing games, in which case, you'd be best off with Vista x64 for that RAM. XP 64-bit never properly developed as a widely-used OS, so it's probably not a great choice.

And if you're putting OSX on there, I'd shut up and take whatever's the cheapest, then do it yourself.

If you choose to get with Linux, there's a few options. Ubuntu's great in the fact that it has a massive userbase and is usually the best supported. Of course, you can go with Fedora, or one of the media-based distros that have mp3 and DVD codecs in-built, etc.

Zet

Years
  • I understand the whole harddrive wanting, but as for RAM you'd really only need 4GB and stick with a 32bit OS if you're not going to be a power user person :/

Zet

Years
  • I want 64 and more than 4GB.

I want a FAST computer and that I can use for a long time.
    yeah, 4GB is totally slower than 512MB of RAM. I can run 2 instances of wlm 2009, Photoshop CS4, FireFox and foobar2000 all at once with 512MB of RAM and suffer no problems at all on my desktop(XP SP3 home edition 32bit). RAM doesn't mean everything -_- Trust me if you have no real need for 6GB just because you want it, just stick with a 32bit OS and deal with 4GB seeing as it's plenty of RAM then you'd really ever need.

But... if you really want 6GB that badly just go with OSX :/

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I would go with Vista at the moment due to the fact that its 64-bit version is more refined than XP 64-bit however keep in mind that Windows 7 is releasing this year. It's one thing I would suggest upgrading to from Vista.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I want 64 and more than 4GB.

I want a FAST computer and that I can use for a long time.
    6GB of RAM is excessive and kind of useless, to be honest. 4GB is probably more than you'll ever need. Even at under 1GB, my computer still works almost exactly as it did 2 years ago when I bought it. There are some drivers I need to fix and unauthorized scripts I need to clean out making my 1GB RAM not as effective, but with 4GB the only way you can end up with a slow computer is to open up your CPU and smash the hard drive with a hammer.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Actually, keeping your OS install to only the programs which are required and not bogging it down with tons of programs at startup is the method of making your PC run fast.

This is regardless of the OS you decide to use.

OP, stick to what you know.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Actually, keeping your OS install to only the programs which are required and not bogging it down with tons of programs at startup is the method of making your PC run fast.

This is regardless of the OS you decide to use.

OP, stick to what you know.

Take the above advice and stay with what you're familiar with. If you've been a Mac user, use OS X. If you've been a Windows user, use Windows. Also, if you go with XP, nLite might help you strip down the OS a bit to make it faster, though you'll want to be careful not to remove anything important.

I'd recommend Linux/BSD normally (especially since you cited speed as a key factor), but unless you've got a few days to set it up and a friend to help you, I wouldn't bother.

Also, I agree anything more than 4GB is excessive. If you want something that will last a long time, get a computer with 4 RAM slots, two of which are filled with 2GB RAM cards. That way, if you want to upgrade later, you'll have that option available to you, but you won't be wasting money you don't need to ATM.

Last edited:

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I just got all the specs from the guy who is gonna built it for me.
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black
    Motherboard: Foxconn A7GM-S with AM2+ and AM2 support
    Graphics/Video Card: XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT with 512MB of DDR3 memory, 256-bit
    Power Supple: hec HP585D with 585Watts
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9600 running at 2.3GHz, Quad-Core, socket AM2+
    Memory: 6gb (3X2GB) 2 of OCZ DDR2 1066 and 1 Kingston DDR2 1066
    Hard Drive: 1TB Hitachi @ 7200rpm connected with a sata @ 3gb/s
    CD/DVD-Drive: Sony Optiarc Black connected with a sata 3gb/s

He can do it for $800

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I just got all the specs from the guy who is gonna built it for me.
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black
    Motherboard: Foxconn A7GM-S with AM2+ and AM2 support
    Graphics/Video Card: XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT with 512MB of DDR3 memory, 256-bit
    Power Supple: hec HP585D with 585Watts
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9600 running at 2.3GHz, Quad-Core, socket AM2+
    Memory: 6gb (3X2GB) 2 of OCZ DDR2 1066 and 1 Kingston DDR2 1066
    Hard Drive: 1TB Hitachi @ 7200rpm connected with a sata @ 3gb/s
    CD/DVD-Drive: Sony Optiarc Black connected with a sata 3gb/s

He can do it for $800
    Wait, what did you need advice on, then?

Back