• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a Pokémon Purist?

Years
I've been getting into BW but I will always prefer the 1, 2, and 3rd generations of Pokemon. But the 1st and 2nd gens are outdated by their remakes. The only reason I would get them is if I were a collector.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 12, 2014
That definition is biased and untrue. I've been around since the beginning of Pokemon, and while I do think that the first two generations are best, it has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. The people who enjoy the later generations are usually the ones who are victims of nostalgia, because more often then not, they are younger kids who discovered pokemon through later gen games. They are the ones who have a warped perspective because they can't understand how subsequent generations robbed pokemon of what made it great in the first place. Now, I was a kid when gen 3 came out. I was as excited as when gen 2 came out, but ended up hating it. Why? Not because of nostalgia. Because gen 3 and the subsequent generations simply do not match the tone of the first two. The pokemon themselves were insanely dirivitive of previous generations to the point of being superfluous. Their designs didnt fit the aesthetic or tone of the established pokemon world and the games entire plots be and all about the legendarily, which, by the way were COMPLETELY subpar. Now, in fairness there are some weak links in previous gens, but not nearly as many. And I'm more inclined to accept the earlier weak links because they were initial mistakes. I can't accept a character that is the same mistake all over again. Gen 2 also slides in my opinion because it is clear that at least some of the pokemon were conceieved of from the start, ex: Ho-Oh. Now, the subsequent gens do have some cool maps, fun new features, enhanced graphics, and cool technology-- I can't take that away. But where I lose it is that the new pokemon are merely a half assed piece of marketing strategy. Game freak believed that new characters equals sustained interest and therefore, increased sales. It doesn't. They should have spent their time and energy on improved gameplay rather than increase the number of pokemon. Lets face it, no matter what generation it comes from, no one tires of their favorite pokemon. But I would genuinely be willing to accept ALL of the new generation pokemon and all the updates if it were not for one set of legendaries: Arceus and the creation trio. NO. I REJECT THIS. Even fans of the new generations hate this. And I don't hate it because of the idea of God. Spiritual themes have always been prevelant throughout the series. I hate it because it cheapens everything. The sense of mystery is part of what made pokemon so fun. They killed it by needlessly addressing an existential issue by creating a (really poor) pokemon that is supposedly responsible for creating the universe. If you can't see how stupid this is, you are blinded. And I don't even need to go into why arceus is stupid--you already know. Also, the idea of humans having evolved from pokemon begs the question as to why humans are not the submissive species. Pokemon was always larger than life, but Arceus removes any sense of connectedness with the pokemon universe because it takes it into the realm of unrelatabity.

Years
I guess I'm not, because I play all the games. I do think the originals are the best. The main character was so awesome that they made him a rival in a future generation. The main rival of the first games was pretty great. He made you WANT to kick his butt. They had the best technology, even if they never expanded on it (Bill turned into a POKEMON, why is this marvelous invention not a part of the newer games???) I thought the whole Lavender town/ Marowak thing was probably the saddest thing in all of pokemon history. And then of course the nostalgia. All the glitches made for great fun, to me anyways. I also liked the simple Mew as the main legendary, and the pokemon all having 'evolved' from mew. (containing every pokemon's dna). I don't like how all the next generations added new legendaries that completely cancelled out Mew's reason for existing, since these legendaries are about creating time and space and all that. I liked it better when it wasn't about pokemon gods.

But I do love the new generations as well, even if a lot of the designs are dumb. I get excited every time a new game comes out.
The people who only play the first generation, I understand that wanting to hold onto the good memories. I do feel sad that they are missing out on the great new things the newer games have though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 12, 2014
Also, if you weren't around when the original games came out, you have NO basis for comparison because you have NO IDEA just how monumental they were. Even the concept of saving a game was relatively new back then. Pokemon was like an acid trip back then.

Years
Slightly.
But only because I don't feel like a key-chain or an ice cream cone qualifies as a monster.
There have always been some questionable pokemon throughout the games,
but the most recent two(?) generations are just unacceptable, IMO.

Gen1 wasn't the ultimate best.
Various pokemon and plot points from different main pokemon games were great.
Just don't ask me to play B&W or X&Y.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Whoa, this thread is from 2012, not sure the people who once made it still are interested. I still wonder how new members manage to find really old threads sometimes xD

But since several people posted and seemed to find this interesting, we'll just shrug and keep it open, shall we? Quoting the opening post for reference here though:

A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.

Are you a Pokémon Purist? If so, how much of one are you? If not, what is your opinion of Pokémon Purists?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
No. The First Generation isn't definitely not the best. I don't really sit with one generation. I like a range of Pokemon from a range of different Gens. While I might have more favourites in one Pokemon era than another, I do like a lot of things from each generation.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Nah, Gen I wasn't the best but it had many great pokémon. Some of the best, and also the pokémon ensemble as a whole was pretty great. And the anime back then was something else :) so in some ways, I'll always love old Kanto.

But long gone are the days when I refused to believe that Steelix was a real thing and evo of Onix, haha. I really didn't believe my friend at first and thought his Silver version was a fake somehow.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I have been playing pokemon ever since "the good ol'days" of Red & Blue.

I have fond memories of playing Red & if I were to play it today, I'm sure I would enjoy it just as much as I do X & Y.

But I don't belive that any generation of pokemon is any better than the others, as I can find things I like/dislike for each gen.

As for the so-called "purists"...

While it's good for people to appercate the classics, they're missing out by not trying new things.

I betcha that if they ACTUALLY did try the newer games, they'd like them just as much.
EDITED IN:
Well, maybe not AS much, but still would enjoy them.
(perhaps this is what they're afaid of?)

Last edited:
Years
Actually, the first generation is one of my least favorites. I used to hate it, but over the years it's grown on me a bit. Something about the region just doesn't please me, and I always felt that the Pokemon weren't very imaginative. Of course, it's the first ever generation of Pokemon, so it's unfair for me to have such judgement, but in comparison to newer Pokemon, I can't help but favor the more recent generations. :c

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.:

I have a problem with that definition, especially the part in bold. Being a so called "purist" doesn't only just relate to fans of Gen 1 or even Gen 2. Anybody can be a purist of any generation (particularly the ones they started out in, be it Gen 1 or even Gens 5 or 6). I've even met fans who've started in Gen 3 who fit that exact description when it comes to R/S/E. To say that this level of obstinate determination exists with just fans of the first generation is narrow minded and wrong.

That said, I'm no purist. I've played at least one main series game from every generation and there are things that I've liked and equally disliked about them. However, from my personal experience, I will contend that the first 2 Generations are the best that I have played (even though I love their respective remakes).

My analysis is thus:

>Graphics
The only thing that has consistently "improved" in the newer generations are the graphics. You CANNOT proportionately or fairly compare 8 bit graphics from 1996 to the 3D standard of graphics of 2014. Obviously the newer graphics are gonna be better.

>Mechanics
It's incorrect to say that the game mechanics have "improved". The correct term is developed ("improved" connotes change for the better whereas "developed" can simply refer to changes made over time). The gaming mechanics have developed to become more complex in some areas (natures, physical/ special split, EV training and IV breeding) and make the game easier in other areas (Audino training, re-usable TMs, Gen 6 Exp Share). Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on the player themselves. Competitive Battlers live for the more complex aspects and find that the aspects which serve to make the game easier take the fun out of it. Casual Players who only play the main games for relaxation would be turned off by the more complex aspects (they would find that looking for the right natures and such to be too much of a hassle and would take alot of the fun from it). Personally, I accept the benefits of the later developments and the more complex developments doesn't really affect me in the slightest. (Hence why I can appreciate the remakes.)

>Story
The newer generations TRY to place more emphasis on a more complex story. In my humble opinion, they try and fail. Since Gen 3 (and subsequently Gens 4 and 6), they've been pushing these grandiose, convoluted plots to use Legendary Pokemon to destroy the world. It's so nauseatingly cliche, it becomes more of a bother to complete that part of the main story than it is fun.

Gen 5's story was an unexpected change of pace but too preachy for my taste.

The Gen 1 (and Gen 2) storyline was simple, yet satisfying. It had three defined goals (to complete the Pokedex, to defeat the EVIL Team Rocket (NOT misguided, confused or foolish), and to beat your rival to become a Pokemon League Champion). All of them were well paced and sufficiently satisfying once accomplished.

>Villains
Teams Aqua and Magma are pretty much a big joke. They're a bunch of radical environmentalists with no sense of reality. Honestly people, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist (see what I dd there) to know that if you turn the planet into either a barren wasteland or a waterworld that it would cause the extinction of almost all living beings. Archie and Maxie were morons and their Admins and Grunts were fools for following them.

Team Galactic seem threatening at first, but Cyrus just wound up being an self righteous, egotistical, lunatic who didn't actually think his plan through. Say he succeeded in destroying the world and remaking it in his ideal image. How are you going to rule? more so, how do you and your small band of followers expect to survive and thrive? You've basically wiped out every skilled professional from the face of the earth and there would be no real order or infrastructure. I reason that it would be a pain in the ass to get anything done. Cyrus would seem incompetent, there would be discord and later anarchy. Eventually, they would all just die off anyway.

Team Plasma under Ghetsis is probably the second most evil organization. Ghetsis had manipulated a child and made him the figure-head of a group of people who thought they were doing the right thing. He also nearly succeeded his goal. The problem lies again with Ghetsis' short sightedness. What happens after you become the most powerful person in Unova? My guess is that he'd probably end up like Scar in Lion King; a bored, egotistical douchebag.

Team Flare pretty much fall under the same bracket as those previously mentioned.

Team Rocket under Giovanni is the most evil and effective team in Pokemon for the following reasons:

1. Giovanni. He is intelligent, ruthless, powerful; he's the badass amongst evil bosses and he keeps everything together.

2. They are smart. Instead of having the convoluted and cliched plan to destroy the world, the hierarchy of Team Rocket knows that true power lies in controlling the socioeconomic system of a country. They essentially control the socioeconomic hub of Kanto, Celedon City, thereby controlling Kanto's economy and stability and by extension, its' populace. Added to that, Giovanni has placed himself in the inner circle of Kanto's state authority. He's a Gym Leader, an essential part of the Pokemon League thereby putting him in the know and a couple of steps ahead of the law enforcement looking to stop Team Rocket.

3. They have a realistic endgame that they actually succeed in; making a profit. As I've said, they control the economy of Kanto. They also have a monopoly in the market for rare and valuable items. The illegality and cruelty surrounding how they obtain these items make them even more valuable and that makes Team Rocket even more wealthy.

4. The Grunts. the Grunts of every other team are essentially misguided fools. Rocket Grunts, on the other hand, exemplify what is means to be the most evil and despicable beings on the planet. They do evil; steal other trainers Pokemon, mutilate Slowpokes, kill Cubones for their skulls and a slew of other deeds all in the name of profit and power. As if that wasn't bad enough, they also admit to their evil deeds and take pleasure in them.

>Music
Even though the newer soundtracks are clearer, the 8 bit soundtrack is the most iconic and most memorable of all of the soundtracks. You hear it and instantly think Pokemon.

>Glitches
The Mew glitch saved the Pokemon franchise!!! When the games were originally released in Japan, they had modest sales. However, when a player discovered that a Secret Legendary had been programmed into the game, sales skyrocketed, Pokemania was developed and the franchise we all know and love flourished.

Apart from that, glitches were part of the games' charm and stirred the interest of players back then long enough for them to try and keep finding new surprises.

>It had the Most Heart
This is the most important point. For Satoshi Tajiri and everyone else involved since the beginning, it was a labor of love that they risked everything on and went through all sorts of hell to bring to fruition. If you were playing it back then or if you know the history even now, you could feel the love and effort that went into it and regardless of how outdated it may seem, you can still appreciate it for its influence and legacy.

Gaming, however, like all entertainment media, is subjective. A game is only as good as the effect it has on the player playing it and everyone is different. You can't be a critic of any medium of entertainment unless you understand that entertainment is subjective in nature. Something is a fact when it can be quantifiably proven to be a reality. You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT quantifiably measure how much a person enjoys a medium of entertainment, hence, IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

If I get more enjoyment from the Gen 1 or Gen 2 games than I do when I play the Gen 5 games (which through some parts feels like a chore), then who are you to tell me that the games that I enjoy are inferior to the games that you enjoy.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, I respect that. However, it is wrong to assume that everyone who likes Gen 1 the best are as ignorant as described in the definition given. It works both ways for fans of any of the other generations.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality.

Who made that definition up?

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I love Gen 1 don't get me wrong, it has sentimental meaning to me. In no way would I say I'm a purist though, I won't sit here and tell you everything bar it is rubbish because that itself would be a complete lie. Intgink a lot if the so called "Purists" are of the mindset that no matter what, it will never be as good and therefor don't really give things (games, anime) a fair chance. Their minds already made up.

In that respect, not me, I'm not in that mindset when it comes to being a Pokemon fan.

Years
I'm not personally, despite the fact that I grew up with Gen 1 and adored it and it was the reason I fell in love with Pokémon in the first place, I'd say I'm actually more partial to Gen 2. Having said that, I wouldn't be a Gen 2 purist either cause I'm open to all Gens and understand that the strengths/weaknesses of certain Gens are made up for in other ones. I don't mind purists of any Gen tbh, it's fun to discuss why they feel that way about their preferred Gen - just as long as they're willing to listen to me too lol! :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I agree with most of what TruePokeFan said. I do love the first generation. With the exception of Typhlosion and Blaziken, Gen 1 is the only generation that contains fire pokemon I actually like. I can't say the later gens(3-6) are bad though since I'm not familar with them at all, at least gamewise, not Pokemon wise.)

Gen 1 is the generation I grew up with, I watched Pokemon every Saturday on Kids WB. I consider some Gen 2 pokemon to fit in with gen 1's pokemon so I usually lump it into Gen 1. But after 2 it seemed Pokemon was going in a completely different direction. They started copying old pokemon and giving them new names, I mean the bunny pokemon are all pretty much the same.

I also didn't like how the names got more complicated, and the new pokemon look more like robots to me.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
I honestly do not understand why people who hate everything after a certain generation (usually 1 or 3) would go on a pokémon site. While I like many others wasn't overly impressed with Black and White I still played them and everything after that. Other than X and Y being way too easy I liked everything after Black and White a lot better.

While I wasn't a huge fan of Black and White I didn't hate them either, I just wasn't overly fond of most of the new pokémon (though there was a few I did like) or the new graphics style. They did however do one thing right by finally making TMs reusable.

X and Y made further improvements by making the dragon type less overpowered and by making it much easier to obtain competitively usable pokémon. It should also be mentioned that Diamond and Pearl added the much needed physical/special split.

If you only like the first 151 or 386 or whatever that's fine. Just don't go on a pokémon site for the sole purpose of complainig about everything after that.

Back