• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh wow, another cop show. NEXT!

Sector

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Alright, since we have CSI, Law & Order, NCIS marathons practically everyday. Then we have shows currently airing on Television that are pretty much police shows. I mean look at the list.

- The Mentalist
    - Rizzoli & Isles
    - The Closer
    - Major Crimes
    - Southland

I'm not going to list them all but, you get where I'm going with this right? So are the Studio industries running out of things outside of the police business? It seems like when one cop show runs out of air, another comes into the spotlight. So, the discussion topic is, are the police shows starting to become overrated? Are the industries trying to hard to make theirs better than the others? How many here actually, absolutely do not watch anything like this because they get tiring after so long? (Yes, I know lots of people in this shoe).

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    You ask a lot of obvious questions, Officer Sector Revenge. Of course the producers/industries are trying to make their cop shows better than those around them, that's what every serious show with producers for ANY show has in mind, lol. The better the show, the better the ratings, more people will watch it, money money money money, MONEY!

You also ask if the cop genre has become overrated. Well, duh. One just to watch five minutes of any CSI  episode ever to show how overrated most cop shows are. They're not particularly interesting (The Wire counts as a cop show, right? In some technical sense? THAT is a good show) but millions tune in to watch them anyway. Though, with the relatively recent cancellation of CSI: Miami, their influence is waning.

Lastly, I think that studios are not running out of ideas for TV shows. I'm not including the cesspool that is reality TV, by the way. Boss being an example of a great show that lies outside of the cop genre. Cop shows are simply time-honored popular shows that producers will continue to sink money into as long as they make money, that's all.

Detective Olivia Benson signing out for the day.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Of course the producers/industries are trying to make their cop shows better than those around them, that's what every serious show with producers for ANY show has in mind, lol. The better the show, the better the ratings, more people will watch it, money money money money, MONEY!
    I wouldn't inherently agree with this, to be honest. Production studios and TV networks are certainly trying to make their police shows more popular with viewers, as that results in the increased ratings and money money money. And yet some of the best police shows are those that are extremely low-rated. Shows like The Wire and Terriers and other such shows were really good and original and pushing the boundaries of what the typical police show could do. And yet the relatively blandness of CSI: Whatever and Law & Order: Don't Care prevails because it provides formula and comfort food. Which isn't inherently bad, per se, but it's not the same as quality television. Like, at all.

For me personally, I'm not a massive fan of police shows because of the inherent same-ness and generic nature of them. If there were more shows that did truly push the boundaries, I'd probably be interested in them more... but most are very content to rest on their laurels, and not getting my viewership accordingly.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Eh, I like watching police programs, but I can't stand those scripted ones that seem to be the focus of this convo. I'd much rather watch the real crime documentaries that cover cases that actually happened in real life. I find those to be much more interesting than scripted crime shows.

With Walker Texas Ranger being the exception because that's a classic. And it has Chuck Norris.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • LeSabre, are you talking about those reality shows like Cops where they basically take you on a ride-along with some cops from a hillbilly state in America and show you what all the rednecks are up to?

Back