• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: [Ruby Hack] Pokemon: Azure Archipelago

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Oh, and another thing. If you are the one who is mapping, you definitely should think about doing a tutorial or something of the like. Your maps look flawless!

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
I'm really digging your story and, as you already know, the mapping is superb. You're one of the only people that make R/S/E tiles look nice to me. However, my only concern is with towns. I feel that people who map naturally tend to make towns look way too natural to be a town. So, it ends up looking like a settlement. Towns are man-made and humans are more comfortable with squares and easy shapes, vs. the zigzags of nature.

Also, I am very curious to see what you have in store for this stone. I have a feeling that you'll be able to visit Mossdeep later in the hack, but a recovering Mossdeep. I also can't wait to see how you use the two teams in this story as Team Magma would be incredibly outnumbered. It's gonna be fun to see.

I wish you the best of luck with this, and I am looking forward to more updates.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Hey, it's been awhile since I've updated, but I've been working hard on the game. Mapping has been completed through the first city/gym and scripting is done up to Honey Forest, which is the first dungeon-y area.

So, updating the progress image, and throwing up some new screenshots/mapshots:

Screenshots:
uBGL99R.png
w9iVxO0.png
akWEPt6.png
A3YauqF.png
5MhDzi6.png
TWfPvmN.png
QQSVcwG.png
yB6deY8.png
vT4QCHq.png
Progress:
Progress To First Preview Release:

kFY8ihu.png

Original:
Spoiler:

And here's a full mapshot (well, it's actually two maps) of the first major city in the game. Ornata City:
S01R6gh.png
MuTPWSD.png

This is the first time I've used these tiles (and one of the first cities I've made in general tbh) and I'm feeling like I definitely need some more building variety. I'd also like to put a a playground where the sign is near the top of the map (by the mart), but I'm no artist, so if any spriters are looking for work, PM me, and I'll let you know what I need.
Oh, and I've been timing my work lately, to help keep me on track... this map took 11 hours and 41 minutes over 3 days. lol

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
I like the look of this a lot, so far! After Winter Wonderland posted about the city mapping, I was just as concerned about the city map, but (barring the tileset's lack of building choice) your city looks fantastic! You might be able to get away with creating new blocks using different palettes for the roof tiles on the buildings. This way, you wouldn't have to add any new tiles, but you'd have a bit more variety. Of course, if you can get someone to create some for you, that'd be awesome as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Keep it up!

Winter Wonderland

Years
Jeeez! Completely disregard everything I said about the city maps.

Let me make this perfectly clear: I. HATE. Hoenn. Tiles.

However, you make them look great! That map captures island life to a damn-near perfection!

If you're scripting is HALF as good as your mapping, we're looking at a real contender for Hack Of The Year.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Jeeez! Completely disregard everything I said about the city maps.
Thanks for saying it. I kept it in mind while making the town, and I'd say it definitely ended up better because of it. The other town I made was definitely much more one with nature. lol

I haven't posted any caves yet, so I'll throw this up too. Just finished it last night. It's just a bonus cave with no real purpose other than adding wild pokemon variety, and an extra place to explore.
Now, before I get too far ahead with the mapping, I'm gonna head back and focus on scripting for awhile, so I probably won't have as much to show you guys.

MY96uuz.png

Last edited:

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I haven't posted any caves yet, so I'll throw this up too. Just finished it last night. It's just a bonus cave with no real purpose other than adding wild pokemon variety, and an extra place to explore.
Now, before I get too far ahead with the mapping, I'm gonna head back and focus on scripting for awhile, so I probably won't have as much to show you guys.

MY96uuz.png

I hope there are some hidden items in there as well ^^

Winter Wonderland

Years
See, I love the idea of adding all these extra areas for Pokemon variety and different areas for experience. I love these because then you can go to places to focus train one Pokemon. Like, I only train electric types on water routes, fire types in places with a lot of grass Pokemon and so on.

So, I feel I can use these areas to my advantage. :3

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Wow. Just checked back on this thread to see how it's progressing, and I am glad I did. Everything looks absolutely STUNNING!!! The cave, like your routes, looks unbelievable, and the way you joined natural mapping into a city with Ornata is awesome. I wish two things:
1. That you have success with the rest of the hack, because I can't get over how amazing it looks so far.
2.That I could map as well as you -_-
Good luck! (Yet I doubt you'll need it!)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Hey guys, I have a little video for you. The police are fairly involved in the story of this game, and I just finished up the first script that they show up in, so I thought now would be a good time to ask if there are any spriters that could make a Jenny sprite for me/any existing sprites that I could have permission to use.

Video:

In reality, this is just a stupidly complicated way of stopping the player from leaving town before they're supposed to. lol

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
that scene looks... creepy... like a dealer selling his product onto a little kid... But, I like it lol. Can't wait for the next update ^^

Back