• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen General Fairy discussion?

Years
  • I just finished the main story and beat the pokemon league in X with Gardevoir on my team. I found him (mine was a boy) to be very useful, though he is a psychic/fairy type so the psychic also came in handy. Has a great moveset in my opinion, used the TM dazzling gleam when I got it from some gym leader and i've found Gardevoir to be a great addition to my team. I like the fairy type.

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
    Years
  • How the ♥♥♥♥ can a stupid clefeble win my epic Dragonite???
    And my dragon moves got no effect???

This is the reason why I like Fairy types. The idea of cutesy fairies beating up monstrous dragons is a dream come true for me. <3

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I'm personally a huge fan of the new Fairy Pokemon Spritzee/Aromatisse. It may not be the strongest but it makes up for that in sass and trollish tactics that can get the job done if you know how to use it right!

From a battle stand point I think they're great. They balance out the previously very common dragon and fighting types as well as giving Steel and Poison more offensive usefulness.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The introduction to Fairy types has not only nerfed the dominance of Dragon types and Fighting types (Only the pseudo-legendary dragons minus Hydreigon and about 4 Fighting types are in OU) but also give some Pokemon such as Vileplume and Lilligant type coverage against Dragons in the form of Dazzling Gleam as a TM. There are currently 6 Fairies in OU, based on a chart from last month, meaning it's not as weak as some perceive them to be, so I don't understand the hate other than those who were too use to the previous type chart since Gen II. What I'm confused is its advantage over Dark types, when they weren't that dominant in the OU metagame last gen (Hydreigon and Tyranitar were the only Dark types in that tier prior to Gen VI), so it felt like an unnecessary nerf unlike Dragon and Fighting. Sylveon is my Fairy type of choice, because I have so much using it to stall.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    it's not as weak as some perceive them to be, so I don't understand the hate other than those who were too use to the previous type chart since Gen II.
    I think its more that some people have a problem with their big, tough, manly dragons getting pwned by something that is perceived in the West as cutesy and derpy, despite the fact that fairies in non-Disney folklore can be quite mischievous and nasty. It doesn't help that Game Freak sorta went and mixed the 2 views of Fairies.
    What I'm confused is its advantage over Dark types, when they weren't that dominant in the OU metagame last gen (Hydreigon and Tyranitar were the only Dark types in that tier prior to Gen VI), so it felt like an unnecessary nerf unlike Dragon and Fighting. Sylveon is my Fairy type of choice, because I have so much using it to stall.
    Game Freak doesn't do things with the metagame entirely in mind. While they did state that Fairies were meant to balance out the OP Dragons (who I still think weren't that OP), they probably didn't think about the metagame beyond that. If they really were prioritizing the metagame, they wouldn't have given stuff like Blaziken or Garchomp mega evolutions or would've given Black Kyurem Ice Fang/Punch. Game Freak likes to troll.

The advantage against Dark probably comes from the Western view of fairies being good creatures/creatures of light, with Dark more or less being seen as evil (and the type's name in Japanese is "Evil", iirc).

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Game Freak doesn't do things with the metagame entirely in mind. While they did state that Fairies were meant to balance out the OP Dragons (who I still think weren't that OP), they probably didn't think about the metagame beyond that. If they really were prioritizing the metagame, they wouldn't have given stuff like Blaziken or Garchomp mega evolutions or would've given Black Kyurem Ice Fang/Punch. Game Freak likes to troll.

While for most of the games this is true, I actually kind of disagree that GF didn't really factor the metagame with the new type, or anything with X/Y for that matter.

Dragon, as a type, is imbalanced. It excels both offensively, thanks to only one type resisting it, and defensively, being weak to itself and ice, both of which can be negated by the Dragon type Pokemon themselves. The problem wasn't noticeable until recently, however, because before Gen 4, the Dragon type was severely lacking in diversity of Pokemon and those that had the type were intended to be godly to begin with (Dragonite, Salamence, etc.). Heck, most Dragons before Gen 4 could barely utilize their STAB, as not only were Dragon-type moves lacking in diversity, but the moves all did special damage when most dragons were geared to be physical attackers. The only reason people starting running the DD+Outrage set was due to the changes in regards to what makes a move physical or special, which happened in Gen 4.

However, especially in Gen 5, dragons became a lot less of a pain to obtain and there was a bit more diversity in the types of Dragon Pokemon. It broke the main game as Dragon-type moves have few options to counter against, and it somewhat broke the competitive game for the same reason, any a lot of players were forced to pigeon-hole their teams just to address them, and the counters to most of the top Dragon-threats are negligible at best. The Fairy type was introduced to put in end to this, and it did just that.

The other part about the Fairy type, one which is the reason I disagree that Game Freak didn't factor in competitive play in their decision to add the new type, is their weaknesses. Both Poison and Steel are some of the worst offensive types in the game, and competitively, while steel was favored for defensive roles, steel-type moves were not favored. Poison had it even worse, despite having great defensive properties, there was almost no reason to use both a Poison-type Pokemon (due to the risks of Earthquake) or their moves, since they have poor coverage. In general, players prior to this gen would stick to using only a handful of Pokemon types, and I seriously doubt GF didn't pay attention to the picks of world tournaments and didn't notice how stale the whole thing is. The Fairy type did justice to these types by promoting their use, and it actually added some diversity to the game. I seriously never saw as many Crobat users until this gen came about.

I will say that I partially agree with you in regards to Mega Evolution, though. I feel like they stuck it on popular/competitively favored Pokemon as a marketing reason, just so that audiences don't feel underwhelmed by seeing it given to Pokemon they never cared about prior to their mega-evos.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Welp, there goes that part of my post. I still think that Game Freak does ♥♥♥♥ that doesn't make sense though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Welp, there goes that part of my post. I still think that Game Freak does ♥♥♥♥ that doesn't make sense though.
    That I can attest to. The fact that it took them 10 years to make the EV system transparent instead of completely hidden from players is just one example of the completely baffling design decisions from Game Freak. I don't hate Pokemon games at all, I'm a fan, but I'm not going to deny that they made some poor decisions with these games.

Did you know that the reason you can't nickname Pokemon you receive from trades is a reflection of the culture the games are produced in? It's considered ungrateful and rude to tamper with a "gift" someone gave to you, so that at least explains that seemingly arbitrary feature of not naming traded Pokemon.

Years
  • i like fairy and type wise i thought of them as water type in some regards, and i wish misdreavus was fairy type but that didnt happen :(

Gummayberz

Breeder
    Years
  • I really don't think it was necessary to add the fairy type to be honest. It's just another type to look out for, especially uses the advantages of steel and poison, while not so much for dragon types which sucks cuz they're my fave. And besides, they're ALL (almost) PINK x(

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • I have a mega Gardevoir on my competitive team. So underrated. Nothing more satisfying than using Encore on a cocky opponent trying to set up, then setting up my own Calm Minds and obliterating them!

Back