• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More Than Just Wishing

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    I haven't written in a long time, but I figured I'd take a shot again. The genre is adventure, and the rating is PG-13 at the moment.

Part 1: The Top of the Mountain
    Chapter 1:
    "Danny, it's already past noon, if you don't stop sleeping like this you're going to mix up your days and nights!"

Danny opened one eye and grunted at the clock on his nightstand. Sure enough, it was 12:11, and he was still in bed. Yawning widely, Danny made his way to the bathroom and took a quick rinse, proceeding to dress in his usual t-shirt and jeans. He headed downstairs, and after grabbing something to eat and bidding good-bye to his mother, walked down the street to the Croconaw Café, a popular hangout.

Standing at 6'1'', Danny was 16 years old and had short brown hair. He did not own any Pokemon, and didn't really have a desire to. Pokemon battles weren't his thing.

"Yo, Danny, what's up?" Danny's best friend, Kevin, greeted him as he entered. The Café's trademark Croconaw glanced at him, and then went back to its work. Danny sat with Kevin and the rest of the group, noticing an unfamiliar face. "This is Terry, my cousin," supplied Kevin, noticing Danny's inquiring look. "He's from Kanto, and he's a pretty skilled trainer." Terry shook Danny's hand, one quick pump.

"So what brings a Kanto big-shot to our humble little town?" Danny wasn't very fond of outsiders.

"Nothing much, just wanted to hang out with Kev for a few days," Terry replied, a bit off-guard.

"Don't worry, Danny, Terry's cool," said Kevin, sensing Danny's displeasure. "I know you're not big on battling, but you should see Terry anyway, he's really good."

"All right…but you've gotta face a good opponent if you want to prove you're something," said Danny. After thinking for a moment, he snapped his fingers. "I know! You should face Leigh! She might be the best in the town, even if she is a girl."

"Fine, I'll face whoever you guys want me to, I'm always down for a good fight." Terry seemed completely at ease, as if even a gym leader couldn't take him.

"Well then, let's go!" exclaimed Jake, the group's battle enthusiast. The boys exited the café and headed to Leigh's mansion at the edge of town.

Danny, Kevin Jake and Frank had grown up together, being the only boys their age in Celestic Town. Kevin was the unofficial leader of the group. He was around 5'10'', had jet-black hair, and a calm demeanor that everyone seemed to like. Jake was the biggest in the group, and liked fighting of any kind, be it pokemon or fistfights. Frank was the smart one, with his nose always stuck in a book. His chosen tome of the day was Weather and its Effect on Pokemon. Most people would have found it boring, but Frank lapped up any knowledge he found. Although they were all different, they boys were like brothers to each other; they did everything together.

Leigh was the daughter of the richest man in Celestic Town, and as a result, took it upon herself to be good at everything. She lived with her parents in a mansion at the edge of town, and usually only left to train her pokemon or go shopping. She never went to a friend's house, since everyone preferred to go to her place.

The mansion loomed above the boys as Kevin rang the bell. They heard footsteps as someone inside rushed to open the door. The large door swung open, and the face of a teenage girl poked out.

"Oh, hey guys, what's up?" Leigh was 5'5'', had brown hair all the way down her back, and was considered by most to be the best-looking girl in Celestic Town (not that there was that much competition).

"Nothing much, we were just wondering if you had time to have a quick battle with my cousin, Terry," said Kevin, getting right to the point. "He's from Kanto, so you're probably gonna lose," he taunted with a wink.

"Yeah right, like anyone related to you could beat me," countered Leigh.

"Ooh, that hurts, Leigh," Kevin said, rolling his eyes. "Guess we'll just have to see then, eh?"

"Well, let's start!" Terry released a large Blastoise, which blinked lazily in the afternoon sun. It's glittering water cannons pointed at Leigh, waiting for her to release a pokemon. She threw an expensive-looking pokeball, out of which popped a stunning Delcatty. As soon as the Delcatty was out, Blastoise sent a jet of water at it, which it barely managed to dodge.

"Delcatty, try Attract!" called Leigh, noticing that Delcatty wouldn't stand much of a chance if it was actually hit. The Delcatty was at Blastoise's side in a flash, rubbing past it and purring loudly. Blastoise blushed, trying to keep its focus.

"Blastoise, snap out of it and hit it with Hydro Pump!" Terry was taking no chances, and wanted to end the battle quickly. Blastoise turned its cannons on Delcatty, but the latter batted its eyes at the big turtle, and Blastoise was powerless to do anything.

"Now, Delcatty, get it with Faint Attack!" Delcatty lunged forward and hit Blastoise with all its power, knocking Blastoise back. Unfortunately, Blastoise also regained its senses, and the next Hydro Pump was right on target. Delcatty was blasted back to the feet of its owner, on the verge of unconsciousness. "Oh no…Delcatty, return!" After thinking for a moment, Leigh sent out Roserade. Wordlessly, Terry recalled Blastoise and sent out a Kabutops.

"Hey, what's that thing called? It's actually pretty cool-looking." His original hostility forgotten, Danny was impressed by the Kabutops.

"It's called a Kabutops, and it's very rare." Frank had looked up from his book. They are mostly extinct, and can only be found in fossils nowadays." Having said this, Frank went back to reading.

Danny was starting to see Terry in a new light. "Not only cool, but rare too? Maybe you're not so bad after all," he winked at Terry.

"Just wait until you see it in action," Terry smirked back.

"Too bad it's gonna get defeated, no way will I lose twice in a row!" Leigh declared. "Roserade, hit it with Magical Leaf!" The bouquet pokemon spun around and an overload of leaves shot out toward the Kabutops. Kabutops, however, simply slashed the leaves apart as they got near, without being touched by a single one. In the blink of an eye, it was behind the Roserade, and slashed a large gash down its back. "Roserade!" cried Leigh, deeply concerned. "Heal yourself with Mega Drain!" Roserade jumped away and focused on Kabutops, absorbing a large amount of energy. Kabutops, however seemed to barely notice. It sliced at Roserade again, and this time the wound was too much for the poor pokemon to bear. It collapsed in pain at Kabutops' feet.

"How…how did you win so easily?" Leigh was crestfallen. She had lost before, but never by this much.

"Pretty nice, Cuz, you didn't even have to give that one commands." Kevin had been bragging about his cousin's ability, but even he was unaware as to just how extensive it was. Terry just grinned.

"You've gotta give me some lessons, that was incredible!" Jake piped in. He was a pretty decent battler, but Leigh almost always beat him, and Terry had trampled her.

"No problem…speaking of which, do all of you guys have pokemon?" Terry glanced around the group.

"Well, I do, Leigh obviously does, and Kevin's got a few. Frank and Danny are too cool for pokemon though," said Jake, shooting Danny a challenging stare.

"Damn straight," was Danny's only answer.

Frowning, Frank added, "It's not that I'm too good for them, I just don't have the time to look after and care for pokemon."

"Well, in any serious training exercise, you gotta leave behind anything important and live in the wild," said Terry. "The more time you spend with your pokemon, the more you get to know them, and the more powerful they become."

"Yeah, like I have anything important to leave behind," Jake said with an air of impatience. "I'm ready to go whenever you are."

"Heh…kinda like a camping trip? Could be fun, count me in," agreed Kevin. Turning to Frank and Danny, he added "You guys are coming too, whether you like it or not. This could be the best thing we've done since we took that trip to Jubilife."

"Fine, fine…" Danny said, though a bit reluctant.

"Well, in that case, I must return home to collect some nature books." Frank walked back towards town in order to accomplish this.

Getting up, Leigh said, "Have fun, you guys, but there's no way I'm camping with five boys. I am a lady after all."

"Yeah right Leigh, like anyone could mistake you for a girl. Let's meet back here in an hour," ordered Kevin. Each of the boys went back to their respective houses in order to prepare for the trip, with the exception of Terry, who followed Kevin, and Leigh, who returned to her house after aiming a kick in Kevin's direction.

After the promised hour, they boys reconvened at the edge of town. They each carried a backpack with the bare necessities, and in most cases, their pokemon.

"Okay, my new disciples, let's be off! Danny and Frank, I'm sorry, but you guys are going to need some pokemon, so that's our first task; catching something to get you two started." Terry led the group down the path, oblivious to Danny's fuming. Mt. Coronet's peak loomed up ahead, but the sky was bright blue, the wind rustled through the trees, and the day seemed calm and peaceful. It's too bad appearances can be deceiving.
    End of Chapter 1

Next Chapter: The boys begin their training trip, and Danny is forced to confront his dislike of pokemon. What memory lurks in his mind that makes him abhor pokemon so?

If you've read the entire chapter, you may as well review. Remember, by pointing out my mistakes you can help me write a better story.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
    Years
  • Heh heh...

Well, I'm not one to talk, but it seemed sorta fast. Don't take me seriously though, just ask anyone. It was definetly a lot better than mine. It was long, but that was because a lot of things happened,

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I kinda rushed this chapter. The thing is, I really wanted to get them on their way, and out of town, but I'll be sure to slow down and put in some more description next chapter.

Back