• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What should've / would've been included in an "Expanded Hoenn Dex"

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Platinum and BW2 both expanded the Pokedexes of their predecessors. DP and BW both had Pokedexes with about 150 Pokemon - Platinum expanded Sinnoh's to 210, while BW2 expanded Unova's to 300.

This leaves Emerald as the only third version that didn't expand the regional Pokedex (well, neither did Crystal, but, to be fair, GS's Johto Dex already contained all Pokemon in existence at the time).

If they'd decided to do this when they were making Emerald, what would you have liked to see included, and why? Note that this technically restricts you to choosing Pokemon that existed in Gen III, and reasons that were valid in Gen III, but if you want, you can list Pokemon you'd like to see added in Gen VI RS Remakes.

---​

For me, some that come to mind are:

Ditto. The reason is simply that Gen III's trade restrictions are a pain in the ass (though later generations completely removed them). I often restarted my Sapphire version, so it wasn't far enough to do breeding, so if I had a Pokemon to breed on Emerald, I'd always have to trade to Sapphire, and then from Sapphire to Leaf Green to breed, and then back again.

Eevee. Well, outside of the fact I personally like Eevee, I don't have much of a reason for this. If you include the other expanded Pokedexes, Hoenn is the only one that doesn't include Eevee, if you count that as a reason.

Swinub and Jynx. Just like the original Sinnoh dex's extreme lack of Fire-types, Hoenn had an extreme lack of ice-types (which, for a tropical island, does admittedly make sense). And, even then, one of its ice types was legendary (Regice), so that the only "normal" options are the pure-Ice Glalie and Ice/Water Walrein. More dual-typed Ice-types would help a bit.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Houndour should have been in Jaged Pass. It was nice that they added him in Emerald, in the Safari Zone after the E4, but that wasn't enough. You only had three (good) choices for fire types, without counting starters, which were Camerupt, Torkoal, and Ninetals (Slugma sucks). Having Houndoom in Jaged Pass or maybe even in the magma hideout would have been great.
    As for ice types, Sneasel would have been great. It could have gone in perfectly in the hidden(ish) room in shoal cave where you find Snorunt. Jynx doesn't look like the type of Pokemon that you would in Shoal Cave, nor does Swinub, in my opinion.

RSE also lacked steel Pokemon, so I think they could have added some more. You only have a few, and Mawile and Skarmory weren't good. Magnemite was eh, and it was ruined by the lack of a P/S split (tri attack sucked because of that), and Beldum was only accessible Post-Game, which sucked since you get it at level 5. So maybe adding Pineco or Onix (to trade) woudln't have been bad at all.
    I have no complaints about the lack of dragon types, since I don't like them the ones added were already too strong.

Hoenn also really needed more ghost types. If I'm not mistaken, only Shuppet and Duskull and Sableye were available. Like, that needs more Gastly, since Gastly is like the main ghost Pokemon.

Those are my only complaints about the Hoenn dex and its lack of types. I also really agree with you that Ditto and Eevee should have been added somewhere Pre-E4, or accessible at all. Also having Nidoran M/F would have been cool, too. They're awesome poison types that could have been useful and would be great.

Back