• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokemon Java Kit

Years
Pokemon Java Kit

Intro:
Have you ever wanted to create your own pokemon game but your to lazy to program your own or don't know how? To cheap for rpg maker xp or another professional rpg system? WRONG! I am now creating a game engine dedicated to pokemon for.... FREE!

Current Features:
Smooth map movement/scrolling (like an rpg should) (include player movements/turning)
Complete NPC support (movement/teleporting/messages/erase/self switches/ect.)
Bike (only the speed movement not graphics)
Multipul region badge support (Like G/S/C)
Sub Script engine of Javascript (used for events and it binds the main essentials too)
A neatly organized system for easy to use/change system (ummm not a feature really)
FULL keyboard support (wouldn't be a good system without it)
FULL mouse support (even the little things like moving/entering the window/ect.)

Comming Soon Features:
Battle System (Includes the pokemon/item class)
Data Bank (Stores data on externals (items/pokemon/tms/trainers/ect.) like poke_essentials' compiler script)
Region Maps (Support for displaying region maps)
Menu Support (displays main menus)

Comming Later On....
Anything I can think of while I finish the comming soon feature list.

Images and Videos:
Spoiler:

Bugs:
Compiling to a JAR won't load any files (This is actually reading from the jar's filepath)
The main bugs can be found in the download

Credits:
Rei -- Complete scripting of the WHOLE system (excluding that from what is included with java)
Who ever ripped the graphics from pokemon g/s to Pokemon: Metallic Silver (includes the sprites) and a very little amount of referencing (mainly for the JFrame)
Completely programmed with: Eclipse

Releases:
Current release: Version 1.0

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Uhh I love how it always seems people create more than one account to bump their topics.. :) anyways good luck with this

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2024
Looks a little similar to something I made years ago :P

You didn't post any code so I have no idea what all you've actually changed from my engine besides the color of the positioning font.

All of the listed bugs I have fixed in my latest version but I have not updated the source on Google Code in a long time nor do I plan to.

Good luck, I grew tired of working on my Java Engine a long time ago and I'd love to finish it but I'm just far too busy these days.

Years
Come on, Ho-oh 112, we shouldn't have to play these games anymore. I thought we had moved past this. You disappoint me, son.

I was seeing who here can tell the difference, looks like at least you have that perspective.

although those are my only accounts.

Looks a little similar to something I made years ago :P

You didn't post any code so I have no idea what all you've actually changed from my engine besides the color of the positioning font.

All of the listed bugs I have fixed in my latest version but I have not updated the source on Google Code in a long time nor do I plan to.

Good luck, I grew tired of working on my Java Engine a long time ago and I'd love to finish it but I'm just far too busy these days.

nothing, it's all mine except the graphics and some small amounts of code.

Also I have fixed all my bugs too.

Last edited:
Years
Alright I added a small pre-release to this.

includes:
Source of project (which has more features than listed above.)
Source of Poke-Tiles

Poke-tiles

Basic/Collision tileset data

DOA_Hitomi

Deadly Rocket Executive
Years
Cool, is it possible to use more updated sprites? (Nothing against the 2nd Generation games) Almost every other starter kit uses graphics from atleast the 3rd Generation.^^ lol

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
It took me a while to compile lol. I'm too used to Visual Studio. lol

Anyway, I have a few complaints about this game. It seems as if the player struggles to move. The player is supposed to bounce as he walks also. I am wondering why you stretched the sprites, it would look a lot better if you didn't. You should probably use HG/SS for the graphics instead of outdated 2nd and 3rd generation ones. Also, why don't the textbox messages scroll?

Years
It took me a while to compile lol. I'm too used to Visual Studio. lol

Anyway, I have a few complaints about this game. It seems as if the player struggles to move. The player is supposed to bounce as he walks also. I am wondering why you stretched the sprites, it would look a lot better if you didn't. You should probably use HG/SS for the graphics instead of outdated 2nd and 3rd generation ones. Also, why don't the textbox messages scroll?

1: Java's key listeners aren't that great
2: graphics
3: not me
4: Alright, I think after I learn how to display the tiles using a depth system
5: I am still working on that.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
1: Java's key listeners aren't that great
2: graphics
3: not me
4: Alright, I think after I learn how to display the tiles using a depth system
5: I am still working on that.

Everything you described have solutions. I easily found a solution to your key problem. I suggest you fix your graphics. It's a 1 minute fix. I don't know how you did not notice it. You did stretch the sprites, I'm looking at your graphics folder now. A depth system shouldn't be hard. It should be a 3 dimensional array that determines which tile to use and which depth (depth would be your z, and you only need 3, ground, middle and top).

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2024
Everything you described have solutions. I easily found a solution to your key problem. I suggest you fix your graphics. It's a 1 minute fix. I don't know how you did not notice it. You did stretch the sprites, I'm looking at your graphics folder now. A depth system shouldn't be hard. It should be a 3 dimensional array that determines which tile to use and which depth (depth would be your z, and you only need 3, ground, middle and top).

I'm not quite sure how you can have so many gripes about graphical elements so early on in the development of hansiec's engine.

As to this whole stretched graphics, what are you talking about? All tiles are 32x32 and the player sprite is 32x42 due to a 10 pixel overlap to give a sense of depth when the player is in front of a building, sign, npc, etc. I know that because I'm the one he got those graphics from (although indirectly). If he was using 3rd gen tiles they would still be 32x32. Suggesting to use HG/SS Tiles is not a good idea and will severely complicate things and it really doesn't matter what tiles he provides, anyone who uses the engine should use their own custom ones so that their game is actually taken seriously and isn't just something they whipped up in 10 minutes.

As for actual depth, I am sure he implemented layers of tiles (probably amount of 3 layers) and if he hasnt, he will. Your point about the player bouncing really only shows that you have no intent to help with whats actually important (ie: the game logic and implementation) and is once again just another graphical gripe.

hansiec, good luck with the engine. If you ever need help let me know. I haven't looked over your code at all yet (only bothered to compile it and run it ) but if I find some free time I'll give it a look and see how you're handling everything.

Last edited:

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Okay, before I start, I want to say that I'm not trying to be rude, I'm only saying my thoughts. People always get angry at me lol

I'm not quite sure how you can have so many gripes about graphical elements so early on in the development of hansiec's engine.
You're right, it is VERY early in development. In my opinion, it's too early to be released. I've been working on a Pokemon engine for GameMaker 2 months now and I really don't think it's ready to be shown in public, but in terms of features, I have more than this one.

As to this whole stretched graphics, what are you talking about? All tiles are 32x32 and the player sprite is 32x42 due to a 10 pixel overlap to give a sense of depth when the player is in front of a building, sign, npc, etc. I know that because I'm the one he got those graphics from (although indirectly). If he was using 3rd gen tiles they would still be 32x32. Suggesting to use HG/SS Tiles is not a good idea and will severely complicate things and it really doesn't matter what tiles he provides, anyone who uses the engine should use their own custom ones so that their game is actually taken seriously and isn't just something they whipped up in 10 minutes.
The tiles are stretched from their original resolution, that's what I meant. I think it will look better (albeit small) if kept in the normal resolution. I don't think that using HG/SS tiles is a bad idea. It's a bad idea to use the BW tiles on the other hand, because there are none. The HG/SS tiles are 2D and you can make a tileset very quickly by making a script that will delete all tiles that there are multiple of in a map. Visual presentation is very important, you can't deny that. You can have the game with the best gameplay, but if the graphics are bad, then no one will take interest in it.

As for actual depth, I am sure he implemented layers of tiles (probably amount of 3 layers) and if he hasnt, he will. Your point about the player bouncing really only shows that you have no intent to help with whats actually important (ie: the game logic and implementation) and is once again just another graphical gripe.
Once he has made some sort of implementation or asks about one, I will try to help. Although my experience with OOP is mostly on the C++ side, the concepts are the same with Java.

One thing I'd like to suggest is to use a system such as Deoxygen. It really helps with other people who are trying to read your code. I didn't even know which file to start looking in.

Years

Alright the graphics are not mine it's from flame guru's engine I honestly don't feel like moving to C++ and thanks for the tip on the 3D array (I will start on this)

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Cool! I'm making my game in Java, but I've promised myself I would make the majority of my code myself, when possible.

However, this sounds great!

Also, in terms of compiling (I assume you are talking about saving), use a file class, but make sure to somehow encrypt the compiled stuff, or else it would be easy to modify the save file.

Years
Cool! I'm making my game in Java, but I've promised myself I would make the majority of my code myself, when possible.

However, this sounds great!

Also, in terms of compiling (I assume you are talking about saving), use a file class, but make sure to somehow encrypt the compiled stuff, or else it would be easy to modify the save file.

Yeah, making code yourself is much better than relying on other's code because it's easier for you as an individual to understand.

Also I do encrypt my saves. (I can improve the saving though)

I also need to update the first post to the newest data, I just felt too lazy to do so.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Ya know what I just realized?

If this project were to be completed, implementing a Java game into a web page is easy. So you could thus make a fully web-capable Pokémon game that doesn't require a download.

In the instance of Minecraft, they allow browser-based gaming and allow someone to download the .exe, which the same could be done here. It's purely amazing!

Back