• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite graphics style

Favorite overworld look?

• Total voters

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Which Pokemon overworld appearance in the maingames do you like the best? Do you prefer the retro look of the oldest Pokemon games? Do you love Kalos's new 3D environment? Or somewhere in between? Pick your favorite Pokemon game look!

I personally loved fourth gen's style. I disliked it when they changed to BW's style, since it seemed like an awkward in-between of Gen 4 and Gen 6 (might be a stretch!). They also could have done so much more with it, honestly, instead of just making towns a couple of buildings, trees, and a road. Look at how beautiful some of the games that use Gen 4 style in our ROM Hacking/Game Development sections are! :3

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I loved the fourth gen's. I can't explain why, but something makes me love it. xD I think it's because it was a step-up from the rest, making a realistic look - yet keeping a cartoonish style, which I like.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love FireRed and LeafGreen graphics; sprites, overworlds, animations, and everything else that they have are simply amazing, in my opinion. They're very nice to look at. RSE ones are good, but their color scheme's generally too dark; not my taste. DPPt and HGSS graphics are fantastic, but only think I dislike about them are their OWs. To me, they look a little too chubby. This was all fixed up in generation five, though, so thank god. As for gen six, I like them, but still haven't completely adapted. I've been playing XY for quite a few months, but the graphics had gotten a major overhaul, and for a person like me, it just isn't that easy to get used to them. :( Not sure what kind of improvements they'll be having in ORAS, but one thing I'm hoping for is some extra anti-aliasing. Smoother the models are, the better!

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    I have played all games, and its weird for you guys to hear but: I like the BW one the most (and i like the SS/HG one much)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • There is a soft part in my heart for anything to do with Gen 3, so that's my choice for this. I really liked the HM actions they used in R/S too, especially the surf and fly ones.

Years
  • I loved the fourth gen's. I can't explain why, but something makes me love it. xD I think it's because it was a step-up from the rest, making a realistic look - yet keeping a cartoonish style, which I like.

I would choose the Gen 4 graphic, my opinion is little bit same with Stygian yes the realistic look and yet keeping cartoonish style that's why i love it.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Shouldn't generations 1 and 2 be separate? There is a significant jump in quality, much more relevant than gen 3 to 4, for example.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I loved the animated B/W2 style as well as G/S/C's sprites and overworld! 3D is nice too but something just clicks with me for the older generations. moving sprites <3

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The first and second generations have a certain visual quality about them, I've always felt. The overworld is clearly defined and not too brightly coloured, and I prefer the seamless grass patches over the single-tile ones used in most games since. It didn't help the transition to the third generation that R/S/E didn't use cel-shading, giving everything a slightly uncanny look. Mainly it's the brightness of everything since the third generation that bothers me, somehow. I wouldn't rather it be gloomy, but an overall warmer palette with darker shades of... green in particular would be nice.

Why are R/G/B/Y and G/S/C grouped while R/S/E and Fr/Lg aren't?

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Shouldn't generations 1 and 2 be separate? There is a significant jump in quality, much more relevant than gen 3 to 4, for example.

Why are R/G/B/Y and G/S/C grouped while R/S/E and Fr/Lg aren't?

Honestly, I thought that other than color there aren't many differences. If people think there are enough differences I could ask a mod to change it.
    Spoiler:

The overworlds in Gen 3 and 4 are VASTLY different. Just look at the flowers from each gen!
    Spoiler:

The FRLG style is also very different from RSE. I wasn't asking you to pick a generation as a whole, it just so happened that the graphics style usually changed with the generation. :)
    Spoiler:

Years
  • That's a tough one. 3D certainly looks extremely nice, but I think I'll go with the 5th generation overworld. I don't know why, but when their appendages got slightly expanded for B/W, I always felt like something was missing when replaying old Pokemon games, haha. Other than those two, 3rd generation is worth mentioning, especially since they basically revolutionized graphics in Pokemon.

Years
  • I liked Gen 2 because it's the Gen I played the most and I think its graphics to me are just the most Pokémon-y if that makes sense lol, like those graphics are just the first that come to mind when I think of the games :)

After that I liked the improvements in Gens 3 (RSE), 4 and 6 :)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • So many good choices...do I go with the revolutionary 3D scape of X/Y? Or the classic sprites of Gen 1 and 2? The in between Gen 3? Hmm...so many good choices :x

I'll go with Gen 5. It's basically a Gen 3 and Gen 6 lovechild. It uses 3D/2.5D elements in a 2D environment so well. I really liked how every town and city got some form of change between game versions, something that I really liked about the Gen 5 environment. The overworld sprites were also really good, as seen when they got N and Colress' hair just right. <3

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I'm going to have to say Generation 4. That's when they first started using individual models instead of tilesets, giving a lot more depth to everything.

Plus, it's kinda nostalgic for me, since D/P were my first games.

Years
  • LOVED X and Y, i think that the style was long overdue, is was stunning. I aslo liked it the most because its getting close to what I want most... a 3D sandbox Pokemon for Xbox or Play Station!

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    HGSS got me back into the series after skipping RSE/DPPt, so maybe it's the jump from Gen 2 to 4 that amazed me so much, but I still find myself attracted to those games. I wasn't too much a fan of Gen 5's OW. It seemed so low-res, like a badly compressed .jpeg. Gen 6 is pretty awesome, too; I'd say it's a tie between Gens 4 and 6.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I know it's because they were my first games and it's been ingrained into my memory, but I seriously love the graphics of the second generation. Whenever I see them I just get this weird feeling. Like it's just more exciting to me or something or more Pokemon like? Kind of what someone else said above me. Sometimes I wish I could play the newer games with the old graphics and music too omg.

Years
  • XY's graphics are by far my favorite. I love the 3D visuals to death and am fond of the details they put into some of the designs (especially in regards to the architecture). BW/BW2 also had splendid graphics; I loved the camerawork on some of the bridges & Castelia and the fully animated Pokemon sprites. The cutscenes were also pretty damn cool as well~

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I'm just gonna come right out and say that I've been playing Pokemon since Red version.

I've played them all and I know them all very well. I've had the opportunity to experience all of their graphics first hand and for days at a time.
    But I'm definitely going to go with our newest gen, X&Y.

X&Y's graphics were a very fresh turn-around compared to the games before it, utilizing 3D and more realistic grass patches, buildings, Pokemon, people, and the amazingly natural directional stick. I'm usually very much a lover of pixels and old-style graphics, but for some reason X&Y just really appeals to me the most visually. I had the most fun out of all the games sitting there and admiring all of the different changes, how beautiful everything looks.. it was an experience playing those games, for sure.

I'm really stoked about ORAS continuing into the X&Y graphic range and expanding as well as improving on it even more so.
    Before we know it these games are gonna be virtual reality. XD

Back